HELP i got this new blackberry curve 8520 for christmas and i cant activate bbm could you tell me how to activate it im on vodafone i need some help fast and every time someone add's me i dont get the request to accept them and every time i add them they dont get the request either :/ please help me please
    01-05-11 10:52 AM
    Do you have a BlackBerry data plan (BIS)? You cannot use BlackBerry messenger with a generic data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 10:56 AM
    Also, I'm changing the lyrics of 'Blinded By The Light' to 'Blinded By The Font'.

01-05-11 11:01 AM
    Make sure you are both on BlackBerry-specific data plans. The easiest way to add people to BBM is to put their PIN into their entry in your Contacts, and then invite to Messenger via PIN. Can you give us more details on your setup/process?
    01-05-11 11:03 AM
    Step 1: use a less annoying font.
    Step 2: check the manual that came with your BlackBerry.

MobileMadness002 likes this.
    01-05-11 11:23 AM
    Step 1: use a less annoying font.
    Step 2: check the manual that came with your BlackBerry.

i dont care about my front like it or dont bother even commenting on it
    01-05-11 12:39 PM
    My Friend Said That You Dont Need A Bis And That I Can Get It Free On Vodafone
    01-05-11 12:41 PM
    It would behoove you to read the Forum Rules. http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/pos...uidelines-113/

01-05-11 12:42 PM
    Thanks for the font change. That is better.

Unfortunately your friend is wrong. You will need to pay for a BIS plan from Vodafone in order to use BlackBerry Messenger.

01-05-11 12:47 PM
    Unfortunately your friend is wrong. You will need to pay for a BIS plan from Vodafone in order to use BlackBerry Messenger.
    Unfortunately your friend is completely wrong, and lak611 is correct.
    BB's differ from other smartphones in that many (not sure if it's all) types of data are routed through RIM's own servers.
    You won't be able to use your BBM, Browser, Email, Maps, etc, without a BIS plan. (You can use Phone, SMS, and any non-data apps without BIS.)

Rrrebo's suggestion above about connecting on BBM is right.
    But until you get the hang of everything, probably the very easiest way to connect on BBM is to send a text with your PIN to a BB user for them to add you. Open a new text and type mypin and then a space and it will show your PIN in the text message.
    01-05-11 01:14 PM
    Btw welcome to CB!

As soon as you have a chance, please add your device, carrier, and location to your profile. This often makes it easier for others here to assist you.

Enjoy your new BB!
    CuteChick1264 likes this.
    01-05-11 01:17 PM
    she sed da she can get bbm free until june :/
    01-05-11 01:38 PM
    Lol, well you'd better ask her then, apparently she knows something we don't
    01-05-11 01:40 PM
    I presume you're on Vodafone UK.

What your friend says, in that case, it's true, if you have bought a Vodafone BB 8520 Curve: BlackBerry 8520 Curve Violet - Buy the Blackberry 8520 Curve Violet on pay as you go on Vodafone

That means that you get free BBM for a few months but you still have to call Vodafone in order for them to 'activate' your BIS (because yes, that's that it boils down to, you get free BIS for a few months). Call them and tell them of the offer and they should set it up for you.

~ttz
    01-05-11 01:44 PM
    No offence, but you have 4 separate users here, all with CB Genius status, all agreeing on the same advice. If you're not going to believe us, why ask?

Call your provider and ask them for a definite answer. Call from a landline with your BB handy.

Could also be that we're splitting hairs here over terminology. Some carriers have a "social plan" where certain features are given BIS access (like BBM, Twitter, Facebook, etc), but other data usage is not included. Maybe this is what your friend refers to.
    Last edited by elite1; 01-05-11 at 01:55 PM.
    01-05-11 01:50 PM
    "She" apparently has all the answers. Why aren't you asking her? "Free until June" sounds like she may be getting some kind of discounted service deal for a limited time. That would be offered by her carrier.

Some very knowledgeable members have given you answers here. If you don't like the answers they are giving you, perhaps you can find assistance elsewhere. It's pretty rude to thumb your nose at the forum rules and those from whom you are seeking assistance.

May I also recommend more judicious use of the Shift key (unless you are the ghost of e.e. cummings), and possibly a dictionary?
    01-05-11 01:51 PM
    well ive actived bbm and i didnt even need a BIS so it proves you rong :P
    01-25-11 10:54 AM
    well ive actived bbm and i didnt even need a BIS so it proves you rong :P
    So, how about you let us know what you did to activate it so we can help others if they have this same issue in the future instead of acting like a 2 year old?
    01-25-11 11:18 AM
    No offence, but you have 4 separate users here, all with CB Genius status, all agreeing on the same advice. If you're not going to believe us, why ask?

Call your provider and ask them for a definite answer. Call from a landline with your BB handy.

Could also be that we're splitting hairs here over terminology. Some carriers have a "social plan" where certain features are given BIS access (like BBM, Twitter, Facebook, etc), but other data usage is not included. Maybe this is what your friend refers to.
    Well I Was Only Asking For Advice Before I Found Out That My Brother Mate Has A BlackBerry And He Told Me How To Active Bbm And He Sed That I Didnt Need A BIS Or Whatever You Was Saying That I Need To Active It So Leave Me Alone :P :P :P And Whats A Social Plan And How Do I Get 1 X
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 01-25-11 at 01:17 PM. Reason: font size
    01-25-11 12:10 PM
    So, how about you let us know what you did to activate it so we can help others if they have this same issue in the future instead of acting like a 2 year old?
    If Anyone Has A The Same Issue Then They Could Ask Mee Couldnt They
    Last edited by CuteChick1264; 01-25-11 at 12:19 PM.
    01-25-11 12:12 PM
    Well I Was Only Asking For Advice Before I Found Out That My Brother Mate Has A BlackBerry And He Told Me How To Active Bbm And He Sed That I Didnt Need A BIS Or Whatever You Was Saying That I Need To Active It So Leave Me Alone :P :P :P And Whats A Social Plan And How Do I Get 1 X
    So, you want us to "leave you alone", but you want help and want to know what a Social Plan is? You really expect an answer from someone after the way you've been posting? Really?

If Anyone Has A The Same Issue Then They Could Ask Mee Couldnt They
    ...and, this is a community forum, we help each other out. People come here to find answers. Yes, they could ask you, but why not share it with everybody?
    01-25-11 12:24 PM
    So, you want us to "leave you alone", but you want help and want to know what a Social Plan is? You really expect an answer from someone after the way you've been posting? Really?

...and, this is a community forum, we help each other out. People come here to find answers. Yes, they could ask you, but why not share it with everybody?
    All Right Calm Down Im Having A Hard Time With My Life Atm
    01-25-11 12:32 PM
    All Right Calm Down Im Having A Hard Time With My Life Atm
    Understandable. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. I wasn't trying to be. Was just trying to emphasize that politeness will get you along way. Again, I apologize if I sounded rude myself. Water under the bridge. If somebody hasn't welcomed you yet, welcome to CrackBerry! If you haven't had a BlackBerry before, I highly reccomend perusing These Entries. It is a basic "How To" of just about everything CrackBerry. Enjoy, and good luck!
    CuteChick1264 likes this.
    01-25-11 12:39 PM
    Understandable. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. I wasn't trying to be. Was just trying to emphasize that politeness will get you along way. Again, I apologize if I sounded rude myself. Water under the bridge. If somebody hasn't welcomed you yet, welcome to CrackBerry! If you haven't had a BlackBerry before, I highly reccomend perusing These Entries. It is a basic "How To" of just about everything CrackBerry. Enjoy, and good luck!
    Thank You Thats Alright U Dont Have To Be Sorry
    01-25-11 12:48 PM
    vodafone uk offer free bis untill the 30th june, after that date bbm and all the other stuff u love will cost �5 a month
    05-18-11 07:35 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD