Please can someone help me? i got my blackberry curve 8520 5 days ago and im already in love with it , one problem im having though is that when i try connecting to my home router, my blackberry connects then the router keeps resetting itself, i thought the problem would be because the phone is using the same i.p as my laptop so i gave my blackberry its own ip address on the router settings page and im certain they are not clashing and causing the problem if anyone could help me with this i would be really greatful, orange told me the phone was faulty so they sent a replacement but its doing exactly the same. i have turned the laptop off and tried connecting to the router with the blackberry but i still get the same problem the router is a D-LINK DSL 2640R.
    08-12-10 03:21 PM
    Sounds like a router problem. Your router should never go down simply due to something connecting to it...

I'd flash the firmware to the latest, if that doesn't work, you might need a diff router...
    08-12-10 08:02 PM
    I have the same problem with my 8530, when it connects to my router the router resets. I have tried two different linksys routers as well, wrt350n and wrt54g..both reset. So I believe something with the phone is the issue but have no idea what
    08-12-10 08:45 PM
    everythin else connects to my router fine, laptop, ipod, desktop... i also have two routers but they are the same make and model and they both restart as soon as my 8520 connects, im getting a N router off my broadband provider this monday so will try my luck with that, although i aint very confident as heard theres compatibility issues with N routers
    08-13-10 03:40 AM
    I have a DLink DIR-655 at home; among other wireless devices, both a 9650 and an 8530 connect to it w/o issue. My bet would be some setting in the router. I would disable any wireless"extras" in the router that you're not using - like WISH; just keep WEP / WPA (security) and SSID broadcast on, see if the router is able to not reset with only the bare minimum wireless options possible are set up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 04:35 AM
    Tried changing every setting on router possible, disabled this... disabled that... still laptop ipod and desktop work great, soon as blackberry connects.. router resets itself , guess im just gona have to see what monday brings, when i get my new router. if the problem continues its bye bye blackberry im afraid! more support should be offered by blackberry for this device, maybe a website that tells you exactly what routers are compatible and what routers aint? when i bought it it said wi-fi on the box, didnt say not compatible with certain routers, which is alls ive heard on this forum, and it feels like im sooo alone in this one and not gona get any help. wud have been better buying a netbook as i know it wud definatly connect, the main reason i got this was for the wi-fi.
    08-13-10 07:16 PM
    more support should be offered by blackberry for this device, maybe a website that tells you exactly what routers are compatible and what routers aint? when i bought it it said wi-fi on the box, didnt say not compatible with certain routers, which is alls ive heard on this forum, and it feels like im sooo alone in this one and not gona get any help. wud have been better buying a netbook as i know it wud definatly connect, the main reason i got this was for the wi-fi.
    That kind of information doesn't really exist for all devices... They would have to test every single router that exists against every single BB.... They don't do that for other devices in general, because that would be an insane task.

Also router reboots happening when a device connects is not a BB only issue, so you don't know for sure that X other device will never have problems with any given router...
    08-13-10 07:50 PM
    i understand just wish i could get it sorted, can not wait for monday to come so i can test it with the new router. i know you know what your talking about papped after only being here a short time i know your a hero if it doesnt work with my new router on monday would you be able to tell me what the best router is i should get for it to work with?, even if it means me going out and buying one i will be a happy bunny aslong as its working, not looking for anything too expensive tho! so dont tell me i shud get this or that that costs loadsa mullah, just plain and simple... like me ;P
    08-13-10 08:37 PM
    First thing i'd do is update the firmware if it's not the latest:

DSL-2640R: Wireless-G ADSL2+ Modem Router - Technical support D-Link

Then see if it still reboots.

Looks like there are some firmware related issues regarding that router that can result in rebooting:
    DLINK DSL-2640R REBOOTS when VPN is used_2 - The TalkTalk Members Forums
    D Link DSL-2640R Intermittent Internet & Rebooting - The TalkTalk Members Forums
    Last edited by papped; 08-13-10 at 08:50 PM.
    08-13-10 08:44 PM
    ahh i seem to have the same problem, firstly i got messages saying devices had same ip address, then that stopped (i presume because i gave the blackberry its own ip address on the router settings, but now without warning whenever i connect the blackberry, the router reboots. the firmware version available on the d-link website is 1.06 but i have 1.10. i think im gona wait til monday and see what happens with the new router, alls i know is that its a N router which is apparently really good, dont know what make tho, although ive heard it might have issues further with my blackberry. guess i will just have to wait and see. thank you very much for your help papped, your a star
    08-13-10 10:03 PM
    Do you actually have talktalk? If the new router doesn't work they might actually send you out a new router with a newer TalkTalk firmware version:

D-Link DSL-2640R Firmware V1.18 - The TalkTalk Members Forums
    08-13-10 10:19 PM
    i have AOL and i understand that aol has been bought into by talktalk, or the other way around, but dont know where i would stand on the customer support side of things, aol are a nightmare for me to get any help from, im gona just see what happens on monday and then if i still have problems i will be chasing aol up and demanding some help from them, if they dont help then i will pester talktalk seeing as they have become a part of aol now. alls i keep getting told is that they are switching systems.
    08-13-10 10:32 PM
    i am not sure if this issue is specific to certain routers because like I said I have 2 linksys routers and tried them both and this happens to me. In this thread they are having a similar problem...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/to...router-514127/

I called Linksys and they actually agreed to send me a brand new wireless N router so I am hoping when that comes it fixes the problem but I am thinking somehow the problem is different...
    08-15-10 02:02 PM
    i am not sure if this issue is specific to certain routers because like I said I have 2 linksys routers and tried them both and this happens to me. In this thread they are having a similar problem...

I called Linksys and they actually agreed to send me a brand new wireless N router so I am hoping when that comes it fixes the problem but I am thinking somehow the problem is different...
    I get my d-link N router tomorrow so fingers crossed this is just an incompatibility issue with certain routers
    08-15-10 05:45 PM

I'm the author of the hyperlinked thread mentioned above.

My router is the Netgear DGN 500, which is a combination DSL modem/wireless router.

I have the exact same problem: Desktop, laptop, Iphone4, and Blackberry 9700 all are connected to this router and work perfectly. As soon as I connect my new Blackberry 9800 (Torch), it starts resetting the router continuously until I disconnect the 9800 from trying to connect to the router. It is repeatable each and every time I try to connect.

I will stay tuned to this thread . . .
    08-15-10 08:06 PM
    My new N router never turned up on monday, contacted Aol and they said it will be here today (wednesday). have yous tried connecting to another router TREVCREV or JDR1234 ??? (friends or work router) to see if you get the same problem, i tried this at work and again i get constantly disconnected, although i cant see the router resetting because im not in the same room as it at work, it seems to be the same problem. would just like someone to maybe say hey!,,, " this router works" or this one does not, and actually tell us what routers are known to be compatible. i hope i aint just got an expensive contract on this phone just to go out and have to buy a new router if the N router has problems...
    08-17-10 07:10 PM
    yes i have tried 2 different routers
    08-17-10 07:41 PM
    DLink DGL-4300 works, but then again I had a 8530 not an 8520 and they run different OSes, etc...

So that isn't terribly useful.
    08-17-10 08:12 PM
    My new N router never turned up on monday, contacted Aol and they said it will be here today (wednesday). have yous tried connecting to another router TREVCREV or JDR1234 ??? (friends or work router) to see if you get the same problem, i tried this at work and again i get constantly disconnected, although i cant see the router resetting because im not in the same room as it at work, it seems to be the same problem. would just like someone to maybe say hey!,,, " this router works" or this one does not, and actually tell us what routers are known to be compatible. i hope i aint just got an expensive contract on this phone just to go out and have to buy a new router if the N router has problems...
    No I haven't-my work location has 3 encrypted wireless servers but unfortunately I don't have the keys to check them out.
    08-18-10 10:43 PM
    after a long long wait and many phone calls my new router finally turned up today, its a netgear N router the model code is DGN2000, this has worked perfectly with my blackberry finally i can connect to my home wi-fi without the router resetting itself. hope you all sort your problems out and thanks to everyone for the help and advice
    08-23-10 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD