I have one of these charging docks for my Curve, and love it. It just charges the phone via the little brass tabs on the back of the phone. No plugging in or out. Just set it in and you're done and the BB starts charging.

I want one for the Tour, but on the Crackberry store, they don't carry one. Is there one like this made by RIM that will work with the Tour? Isn't the back the same as a Storm? Is there something like this for the Storm, besides that one where the phone sits sideways and has to plug into the USB port? That wouldn't work too well on a Tour.

06-26-09 06:19 PM
    I don't think there is a charging dock in production yet but it wouldn't surprise me if it was in the design stages or further along. We still have about 3 weeks till speculated release so that's plenty of time for it to be produced. But I understand your curiosity with the dock. I have one for my Pearl and love it as well.
    06-26-09 06:26 PM
    I have been looking but don't see any charging contacts on the Tour anywhere. Anyone have a picture that shows the contacts?
    06-26-09 06:31 PM
    I don't think there is a charging dock in production yet but it wouldn't surprise me if it was in the design stages or further along. We still have about 3 weeks till speculated release so that's plenty of time for it to be produced. But I understand your curiosity with the dock. I have one for my Pearl and love it as well.
    The phone is so close in size to the Curve, it makes me wonder if the dock for the Curve would work with the Tour. That'd be pretty cool...
    06-26-09 06:32 PM
    I have been looking but don't see any charging contacts on the Tour anywhere. Anyone have a picture that shows the contacts?
    Yeah, it's the little brass things to either side of the battery release door:

06-26-09 06:34 PM
    I'm sure one will be produced later. The phone hasn't even been released yet.
    06-26-09 06:34 PM
    Yeah, it's the little brass things to either side of the battery release door:

Oh wow, didn't even notice those as charging contacts. I am not used to these new-fangled BB devices.
    06-26-09 06:35 PM
    The phone is so close in size to the Curve, it makes me wonder if the dock for the Curve would work with the Tour. That'd be pretty cool...
    ...And I think I just answered my own question by finding the pic of the back of the Tour, because the contact points are NOT in the same place as the Curve.
    06-26-09 06:35 PM
    Yeah, but they already made some cases and stuff for it. This is one of the coolest things you can buy for your BB, not to mention a great value.
    06-26-09 06:38 PM
    Oh wow, didn't even notice those as charging contacts. I am not used to these new-fangled BB devices.
    It's really awesome having it charge with those contact points. No plugging in and out your USB port. Also, it helps to keep your USB port from wearing out.
    06-26-09 06:39 PM
    Yeah, but they already made some cases and stuff for it. This is one of the coolest things you can buy for your BB, not to mention a great value.
    That's true, look at Palm, they were advertising their charging dock thing from day 1. It would be nice to see some kind of charging dock solution.
    06-26-09 06:40 PM
    Yes that is true but read the quote below this.

Exactly.
    06-26-09 06:40 PM
    That's true, look at Palm, they were advertising their charging dock thing from day 1. It would be nice to see some kind of charging dock solution.
    I know. They were pitching that whole stone charging thing like it was really innovative. I sort of took the wind out of the sales of some of the Pre disciples when I mentioned that BB's have had similar technology for years.
    06-26-09 06:42 PM
    It's really awesome having it charge with those contact points. No plugging in and out your USB port. Also, it helps to keep your USB port from wearing out.
    I hate when happens with any phone. Sitting there for 5-10 minutes trying to get it to start charging. Happened with my Pearl but I got lucky and all I had to do what pick up a new wall charger.
    06-26-09 06:42 PM
    Yes, I was just without my 8830 for 1.5 weeks getting the USB port replaced. It just completely broke apart. They are very fragile. So, when I get the tour, I definately want to keep it in good condition.
    06-26-09 06:51 PM
    IF it doesn't come out with a Dock right away you easily could get 2 bits of copper and extend the points on the dock to charge the tour assuming the tour and curve use the same voltage and amperage

that is something we should find out.
    06-26-09 07:26 PM
    IF it doesn't come out with a Dock right away you easily could get 2 bits of copper and extend the points on the dock to charge the tour assuming the tour and curve use the same voltage and amperage

that is something we should find out.
    Knowing my luck with stuff like that, it would short out my brand new Tour and render it useless. Of course they'd be sold out of the phones by then, and I'd have to wait for a replacement.
    06-26-09 07:31 PM
    Well lets get the numbers first before you go and do it then :P

lucky enough these things are powered by USB so chances are you wont get enough voltage to KILL the tour, force a restart maybe! (Which I've done to my curve trying to build a charger)
    06-26-09 07:43 PM
    I know. They were pitching that whole stone charging thing like it was really innovative. I sort of took the wind out of the sales of some of the Pre disciples when I mentioned that BB's have had similar technology for years.
    I know this is irrelevant to the topic of the thread, but just wanted to point out that the novelty of the Touchstone is not that it is a charging dock, because those have been around for a long time, as you said. The innovation is that it uses inductive charging, which has been used in other devices, but not commonly. So there is no actual metal to metal contact like there is with the Blackberry. Functionally, this makes no difference, but it's a cool technology.

The charging features also ties in with the OS. When you're in a call, if you set the phone on the touchstone, it switches to speakerphone. When you pick it up, it switches back to the handset.
    06-26-09 10:09 PM

That dock seems simple enough. I wouldn't think that it should take too long to make one for the Tour.
    06-26-09 10:14 PM
    I know this is irrelevant to the topic of the thread, but just wanted to point out that the novelty of the Touchstone is not that it is a charging dock, because those have been around for a long time, as you said. The innovation is that it uses inductive charging, which has been used in other devices, but not commonly. So there is no actual metal to metal contact like there is with the Blackberry. Functionally, this makes no difference, but it's a cool technology.

The charging features also ties in with the OS. When you're in a call, if you set the phone on the touchstone, it switches to speakerphone. When you pick it up, it switches back to the handset.
    My understanding is that in order to use the touchstone thing, you have to replace the back of the device with a different one that they supply. Makes me wonder if it is really in the end about the same concept?

That is a pretty cool feature where it switches to speakerphone (unless that's not what you want it to do). I like to keep my phone on the base while I'm at my desk talking on the phone, but that doesn't mean I want every call to be on speaker, you know?
    06-26-09 10:15 PM
    My understanding is that in order to use the touchstone thing, you have to replace the back of the device with a different one that they supply. Makes me wonder if it is really in the end about the same concept?

That is a pretty cool feature where it switches to speakerphone (unless that's not what you want it to do). I like to keep my phone on the base while I'm at my desk talking on the phone, but that doesn't mean I want every call to be on speaker, you know?
    The only difference between the backs is that the one that comes with the Touchstone is not a glossy surface. This helps keep it from sliding off the angled dock. It uses an entirely different charging method. But again, it's only a novelty feature, it doesn't really affect anything. Also, I think you can adjust the settings for how it behaves when docked. When you get a call, you can choose to answer w/ speakerphone, or pick it up to answer, or use a bluetooth if one is connected.
    06-26-09 10:30 PM
    It's strange, I can't find any information whatsoever on a charging dock for the Tour on either Verizon's or RIM's websites.
    07-03-09 03:53 PM
    I am hoping they come out with the dock for the Tour also. I use one for my Pearl now and love it. The Pearl in the dock is my alarm clock. Maybe it is just me imagining it, but it seems like the phone charges faster in the dock then when I plug it directly into the mini USB port????
    07-03-09 04:00 PM
    07-03-09 05:23 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD