It seems like the hold up on the Verizon OS 5 is all about ptt. There are ptt cods in the latest leak that appears to be Verizon becuase of the fact that there are vz navigator files in it as well.

net_rim_bb_phone_vz_ptt.cod
    net_rim_bb_phone_vz_ptt_proxy.cod

Should be very soon we see an official Verizon OS... As long as the info in this thread is true, and its looking like it is...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/ver...ml#post4614870
    Last edited by dave3825us; 03-18-10 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Change title
    02-26-10 11:01 PM
    I have heard that the os5.0 was never going to be released by vzw on the tour 9630 But to look for the tour 2 to have the os 5.0
    02-27-10 12:13 AM
    The blackberry website says the 9630 will get 5.0 plus every carrier except for verizon has gotten it so once verizon approves it we will get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-10 12:37 AM
    sorry for the newb question but wat is this PTT file? I downloaded the leaked.530 file and wasn't sure what it was...as far as i know..it hasn't affected the performance of my phone.
    02-27-10 02:03 AM
    sorry for the newb question but wat is this PTT file? I downloaded the leaked.530 file and wasn't sure what it was...as far as i know..it hasn't affected the performance of my phone.
    It's Push To Talk for VZW BlackBerries.
    02-27-10 02:50 AM
    The official VZW 5.0 OS is in the same catagory as the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and Santa Clause. Fun to believe in but non-existant!
    02-27-10 07:07 AM
    I have heard that the os5.0 was never going to be released by vzw on the tour 9630 But to look for the tour 2 to have the os 5.0
    false. Verizon is in the testing stages yet with the 5.0 OS. They havnt been able to pass a test yet for the Verizon Tour as of now.

also, there is no such thing as Tour 2 anymore, its now called Bold and has been pushed back until April or May of this year
    02-27-10 07:48 AM
    Push 2 Talk! Yay, something else RIM + Vzw won't be able to get working right.

02-27-10 07:50 AM
    To the OP, I doubt PTT will be sent tot he tour 1. It is not set up for this feature.
    02-27-10 07:55 AM
    I would tend to agree with you lastraid. The buttons aren't really set up for this feature. They are usually larger and have a rubberized coating. Although, the only button that could be used for PTT on T1 could be the one on left side with 3 dots on it. But, I don't really see that happening.

02-27-10 08:05 AM
    To the OP, I doubt PTT will be sent tot he tour 1. It is not set up for this feature.
    I would tend to agree with you lastraid. The buttons aren't really set up for this feature. They are usually larger and have a rubberized coating. Although, the only button that could be used for PTT on T1 could be the one on left side with 3 dots on it. But, I don't really see that happening.
    There are ptt cods in this leak as well as vz navigator. Its definitely a Verizon OS. If its not for the tour then what is it for and why are these ptt files in it?

So are you saying there is no truth to what was said in the link i posted?

I know this is an old thread, but I have new info on it.

According to our Verizon Rep, Feb 2010 is the new PTT deadline, and its set in stone, or so they say. Initially, all 9630's (Tour) will be pushed a free firmware upgrade automatically, and will be converted to push to talk. He told me this is only phone for now that will have it. Later they will expand it with new phones and such. It's suppose to use the lone button on the right side (the one below the volume control).
    I just got off the phone with my VZW accounts manager and it is fact - The Tour will have PTT. They were given a demostration and it worked very good. IMO I feel the 3G will be okay to handle this feature, but what makes me excited is that when the LTE is rolled out, I feel it will really be great. NOw that is something to be excited about it.
    Latest news from my rep is Blackberry is looking at March. Will be on Tour and Tour 2. Rougly $5/month if you want it. One nice thing about PTT is you can look at who in the group is available, which will save us plenty of time and additional calls to folks who arent going to answer anyways. Groups can be administrated from the web, and I like that feature too.
    Last edited by dave3825us; 02-27-10 at 08:44 AM.
    02-27-10 08:29 AM
    The blackberry website says the 9630 will get 5.0 plus every carrier except for verizon has gotten it so once verizon approves it we will get it.

Where at on blackberry site you read this?
    02-27-10 08:32 AM
    There are ptt cods in this leak as well as vz navigator. Its definitely a Verizon OS. If its not for the tour then what is it for?
    Not saying it is not, just saying this version will not come to the tour 1. This device is not set up for push to talk at all. They put the COD files in there, but they will useless.
    02-27-10 08:32 AM
    Not saying it is not, just saying this version will not come to the tour 1. This device is not set up for push to talk at all. They put the COD files in there, but they will useless.
    I hear what your saying. Is the curve set up for it? Has anyone seen this?

02-27-10 08:54 AM
    I hear what your saying. Is the curve set up for it? Has anyone seen this?

nope - there is VZW blackberry that I am aware that is set for PTT right now.
    02-27-10 08:57 AM
    It was to my understanding that the PTT service offered by Verizon Wireless & AT&T use a data stream via VOIP so no additional hardware is needed except a transmit button.
    02-27-10 09:02 AM
    It was to my understanding that the PTT service offered by Verizon Wireless & AT&T use a data stream via VOIP so no additional hardware is needed except a transmit button.
    At this time there is PTT offered by VZW. It currently uses the EVDO network, rather than the 1X network as the original version. As far as VOIP goes, not sure this will happen till LTE arrives. The PTT devices available today, are set up to run PTT with VZW. Software upgrade will not enable this service.

Now, if what you posted is accruate and the 5.0 allows for this along with the function to program a button on the device, I would agree with you. I do not think prior devices will be set up for this though. I know with LTE the goal is run most voice features over VOIP.

Per the video, this appears to be 3rd party application that changes what I have been saying significantly. My info is based off what VZW supports at this time
    Last edited by lastraid; 02-27-10 at 09:27 AM.
    02-27-10 09:23 AM
    I used to love my PTT on my old sprint Sanyo phones and the voice message option that worked as simple as a text but was a voice recording (It Was NOT MMS).. I think all BB's can handle this as they have the hardware.. (By that I mean loud-speaker and mic) .. Just a matter of the software..
    02-27-10 10:12 AM
    I used to love my PTT on my old sprint Sanyo phones and the voice message option that worked as simple as a text but was a voice recording (It Was NOT MMS).. I think all BB's can handle this as they have the hardware.. (By that I mean loud-speaker and mic) .. Just a matter of the software..
    You may be onto something here. Great call. (maybe?)
    02-27-10 10:48 AM
    Now, if what you posted is accruate and the 5.0 allows for this along with the function to program a button on the device, I would agree with you.
    I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but you can already reprogram both the left and right side buttons. It"s in the "Screen/keyboard" menu in options.

02-27-10 07:31 PM
    I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but you can already reprogram both the left and right side buttons. It"s in the "Screen/keyboard" menu in options.

Not for PTT.
    02-27-10 07:34 PM

On the at&t BBs the buttons look the same, the default PTT button is on the left, but that can be changed.
    02-28-10 01:34 AM
    Not for PTT.
    Again, I could on the at&t BBs. Why would it be different on VZW?
    02-28-10 01:35 AM
    Not for PTT.
    How do we know we cant until the software is loaded properly on the phone? I mean we cant right now because its not in the list of things that can be programmed to a convenience key, but after the software is in place I would think it would most likely show up in the convenience key list like capture it did, or any other app that lets us bind it to a convenience key..Or maybe it would bind itself and not allow us the choice of one of those keys any more..
    02-28-10 08:05 AM
    Just like Vlingo does.

02-28-10 09:53 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD