Alright, there seems to be a lot of confusion going around these forums regarding how exactly to fully unlock the Blackberry Tour 9630 for use with any GSM carrier worldwide. Having just done so myself, I thought I would clear up a few things people seem to constantly be getting wrong about the Tour. Corrections of course are more than welcome.

FIRST - the MSL code
    Before you pay an online retailer (or a local one depending on your location), be sure you can get the MSL code for your new phone! Otherwise you may be wasting your money getting the unlock code. This is the code that will allow you access to the programming menu on your phone and allow you to make necessary changes. If you have an unlocked phone that isn't displaying your number correctly, this is why. There are a couple ways to get this code, depending on your carrier. My experience has been with the 9630 from Telus in Canada, so the rest of the information is based strictly on other posts in these forums.

1. Try dialing ##000000 and pressing send.
    If you see a programming menu, you're done. 000000 is your MSL code you lucky *******. This is the default, meaning your carrier hasn't restricted access to this menu. Try 111111 too, I hear that works for some, although I'm not sure entirely who. If these don't work, you're in the same boat I was. Your code is unique, and cannot be found on the internet. You may not be out of luck, however.

2. Call your carrier.
    This will not work if your phone was not activated with the original carrier. Even if they have a policy against it, sometimes they slip up and give it to you anyways. Sometimes it pays off to call more than once.

"Hi, my name is _____ and I work at the local *insert cellphone retailer, aka best buy* where i purchased my phone. A buddy from the mobile department borrowed my phone for the weekend to optimize it for me (or whatever) and when I got the phone back I couldn't reconnect it to your network. Today at work he showed me I had to reactivate the EV1X (whatever that means) network and everything appeared to return to normal. It wasn't until tonight I realized that when I make phone calls, my phone displays "My Number: (not my number)". I just got off the phone with him and he told me something about calling you to manually reprogram my number back into it. I don't really know what that means, but he seems to know what he's talking about. How can i reprogram my number into the phone?"

Yeah, play it a little stupid, it worked for me. My first call to Telus, I basically got told to shove it; "we have policies". Second call I did the above and I was given it like nothing. Just thank them for their help, your phone works now, and tell them to have a good day. It can be easy. You may find out your carrier has no policy against giving that information out over the phone.

3. uniCDMA.
    This is confirmed working on the Telus 9530, however it wouldn't work for my 9630. Some posts claimed they could manually search through the dump file for the MSL code, however I could not find mine. One thing I would like to clear up first with this method is that (for the 9630) there is currently no known universal address location and length like there is for the storm. What works for some will not work for others. Feel free to PM me if anyone has any further knowledge on this location. I found uniCDMA wasn't working properly for me, and instead found a program called "CDMA Universal v3.1.4" which is just a clone that operates the same way. Google search will find you what you need. You might get lucky, I didn't.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/act...4/#post1341767

4. Generate the MSL yourself.
    I have no experience doing this, but I found this during my searches and thought those of you with a Windows Mobile device may find this interesting. This is unconfirmed.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ge...de-fix-309546/

5. Pay an online retailer.
    I discourage this. It may be the only way for some, but exhaust all other options before resorting to this. Perhaps they offer a deal on the MSL and the unlock code as a package or something.

SECOND - the unlock code
    Unlock codes are all unique, and are generally nonrefundable. This is the code that will unlock the sim card funcationality of the phone. Don't pay for one until you know your handset is fully functional. A replacement handset for defective units will require a new code, which requires you to pay twice.

1. Call your carrier
    I hear that if you are a Sprint customer for over 60 days, they just give it to you free over the phone. This is not the case for Telus or Bell in Canada, trust me it's not even worth bothering to ask. You can't trick them into this one. Some may be aware of this code, but they all claim to be completely ignorant on the matter and I believe some actually are. They don't have it, and you will never get it from them. Some are lucky, myself not so much.

2. Pay an online retailer.
    There is no reason to pay more than $35 dollars for an unlock code, and there are still even much cheaper options. This you will have to google. Try checking advertisements on craigslist and kijiji too. Sometimes you can find a local shop or a cheaper deal through a different website.

THIRD - unlocking the phone
    However you get it, it should come with instructions on how to enter it into your phone. Either the rep will talk you through it, or the email with your code will have instructions. Keep in mind that an unlocked Tour from Telus and Bell will only operate on a North American 2G EDGE network. It will (unconfirmed) support 3G HSPA networks in Europe. Be sure to disable the mobile network before entering the unlock code. Once the code has been entered, there are only two things left to do:

1. Activate the GSM antenna.
    Go into Options > Mobile Network, and set Network Technology to GSM/UMTS. Also set Network Mode to 2G, as again the Tour will not operate on 3G networks within North America (to my knowledge). Pull the battery, insert the sim card, and put it back in. Enable the Mobile Network, and you should now have limited service.

2. Enter the MSL code.
    This is done to disable the "Activation Required" prompt, and fix the "My Number" issue on outgoing calls. The MSL code is the only way you can do this, however the first step is to do a battery pull. This actually fixed it for one friend who didn't have his MSL code, but you wouldn't be reading this if you were as fortunate as him. You need to change your phone number in the programming menu, which is accessed by dialing ##MSLMSL and pressing talk (obviously substitute MSLMSL for your MSL code). Make sure all your information is correct and do a battery pull.

Still have problems?
    Call the GSM carrier you are switching over to and inform them you are attempting to activate an unlocked Blackberry Tour. Its none of their business which carrier it was previously locked to, and it won't matter. Most of the time it's as easy as activating the proper data plan.

These were the only issues I encountered while unlocking my phone, I hope this helps. I have successfully unlocked two Telus Mobility Blackberry Tour 9630s which have both been tested on Rogers and Fido with BIS and email.
    Last edited by RaynotRoy; 04-08-11 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling and such
    09-28-09 05:47 PM
    Brilliant...had all but the unique MLS code and when I called Customer Care I was helped by a very nice representative who not only gave me the code hassle free, but walked me through the process to make sure everything was ok.
    11-11-09 05:52 PM
    Well written!
    11-12-09 09:10 AM
    Excellent job RaynotRoy.
    11-12-09 10:45 AM
    Great tutorial

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-09 09:28 AM
    thank you.....
    11-17-09 03:27 PM
    i have a bell mobility tour 9630 also. I have purchase an unlock code like an ***** online but didnt have a msl#. Went to MTS in manitoba canada to have it activated and the rep hard locked the phone with too many attempts!!! Someone please help, thanks
    03-21-10 03:43 PM
    Need to take it to a local shop to have it unlocked via software.
    03-21-10 04:21 PM
    i have a bell mobility tour 9630 also. I have purchase an unlock code like an ***** online but didnt have a msl#. Went to MTS in manitoba canada to have it activated and the rep hard locked the phone with too many attempts!!! Someone please help, thanks
    When you go to Options/Advanced Options/SIM card and type the letters "mepd" what does it say there?
    03-22-10 12:35 AM
    for sim, network, service provider all in the personalisation screen, all states unknown
    03-22-10 08:51 AM
    I have the tour 9630 from sprint. I moved back to canada and im trying to unlock it. I purchased an unlock code. However, when i go to the sim card menu and type MEP2, nothing happens. MEPD also does nothing. I dont get any hidden menu's or box asking for a code. Is this issue related to the MSL?
    08-23-10 11:02 PM
    I have the tour 9630 from sprint. I moved back to canada and im trying to unlock it. I purchased an unlock code. However, when i go to the sim card menu and type MEP2, nothing happens. MEPD also does nothing. I dont get any hidden menu's or box asking for a code. Is this issue related to the MSL?
    Most Sprint Tours are unlocked, which is probably why you are not getting any of the prompts.
    08-24-10 12:21 AM
    Most Sprint Tours are unlocked, which is probably why you are not getting any of the prompts.
    How can i confirm that it is unlocked. Also, I tried putting in a telus SIM and when i dialed out i got a message about activating the phone. What does this mean?
    08-24-10 07:48 AM
    Telus doesn't use EDGE frequencies. You would only be able to use the Sprint Tour on Fido or Roger's networks.
    08-24-10 10:10 AM
    How can i confirm that it is unlocked. Also, I tried putting in a telus SIM and when i dialed out i got a message about activating the phone. What does this mean?
    Telus SIM will not work with the 9530/9630/9550/9650 because Telus only has a 3G HSPA Network on GSM and the phone is not compatible with that frequency. You can use it with Rogers/Fido/ATT/T-Mobile etc...

To remove the "Activation Required" message you need to get the MSL Code for your phone. That will only remove that message and let you program your Mobile Number, it will not allow you to use more Networks.
    08-24-10 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD