I'm aware of some trackball issues others have had, but it seems like it's been mostly horizontal issues and the trackball just not responding well as a whole. Well this morning my tour was working fine. I checked my email and put it on my desk for a while and when I came back I couldn't scroll up. I could still flawlessly scroll left and right and down, but not up no matter how much I tried.

Did a battery pull and no change. The only way I can get it to scroll up is if I push down really hard on the trackball and try to roll it up and only then it will occasionally move.

Is it possible that maybe just a piece of dust or a hair or something got on the one sensor to make it scroll up? Is this something I could potentially fix myself? Obviously if I can't I'm going to take it in for a replacement but if it's an easy fix or a temporary glitch I'd like to fix it today since I won't be able to return this one until this weekend.

Thanks.
    08-06-09 08:39 AM
    Is the trackball physically able to move? If it does, can you feel it gripping the rollers (making the grinding noise/feel)?

You can try pushing down hard on the trackball to clear it. You can also try putting a LITTLE bit of rubbing alcohol on the trackball via a q-tip and rolling it around.

Unfortunately, taking the Tour trackball out is much more difficult than on previous Blackberries. It involves literally taking the whole phone apart to get to the trackball.
    08-06-09 08:47 AM
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply. Yes it was moving fine and you could feel it gripping like normal. But I went ahead and really mashed down on the trackball and moved it in all directions. it felt like something at one point snapped or clicked and to my surprise it resumed working perfectly again

Disaster averted! Thanks again.
    08-06-09 09:01 AM
    If you need a replacement, then, can try to get it from ownta.com, find the trackball in its blackberry spare parts category.

Is it the same as blackberry 8300 direction button ?
    08-06-09 09:01 AM
    glad to hear it back, lol...
    08-06-09 09:02 AM
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply. Yes it was moving fine and you could feel it gripping like normal. But I went ahead and really mashed down on the trackball and moved it in all directions. it felt like something at one point snapped or clicked and to my surprise it resumed working perfectly again

Disaster averted! Thanks again.
    Same exact thing happened to me, but mine was the usual left-to-right direction. Mine wouldn't physically move, so I pressed down hard and I heard the same "snap" sound. Got scared a little, but then realized my trackball worked perfectly. Unfortunately, it started messing up again a few days later, and now it seems to be getting worse every day. Going to a VZW store on Saturday to hopefully get a replacement (my third phone).
    08-06-09 09:05 AM
    My friends bold had the same problem today. I tried changing the sensitiveness to 100 and it stops the problem. Changed it back to 70 (default) and it works.
    08-06-09 10:00 AM
    How hard are you guys pressing down on the trackball when you hear that click?
    08-06-09 11:13 AM
    I would say that pressing down on it VERY hard is not necessary.

If it IS something like a dust particle or hair that has is jammed it should be able to clear without pressing so hard that you run the risk of damaging the rollers underneath.

They can be damaged fyi, and fairly easily
    08-06-09 11:32 AM
    I used alcohol and pushed it down and roller it around and now mine is perfect
    08-06-09 11:40 AM
    i need help. my blackberry tour trackball has stopped scrolling down. i've taken the battery out, turning my phone off, cleaning it with alcohol, and blowing in it to get dust and what not out. i've tried EVERYTHING! does anyone have any ideas that i can try out or do i have to get a whole new trackball??
    10-02-10 11:31 PM
    what i find works if your in a bind and need your phone, you never actually need it but in dire need like you thumbs and roll the trackball around. otherwise you alcohal or the paper trick works the best at getting all the crap out of underneath the ball.
    10-04-10 03:32 PM
    I had heard all the issues with the tour trackball. Didn't have any with mine until about a year after I bought it. Couldn't roll it up or down, was about to head into Sprint, but then read a pretty good tip on another forum. Use a cloth and spray a bit of Windex on it. Then wipe the ball with the cloth. Worked like a dream for me. Haven't had any issues since.
    10-15-10 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD