The Tour I have was perfect in everyway except the horizontal trackball was terrible. It is perfect now since I changed the horizontal sensitivity from 70 to 90. To do that:

In device options click Screen/Keyboard and scroll down to horizontal sensitivity and change. Voila a new device

hope this saves some folks from having to return their brand new toy.
    07-16-09 01:44 AM
    i use 80 on both, i think its just whats comfortable for you

what was so terrible about it being on 70, was it just slow or was there some other thing wrong that switching the sensitivity to 90 helped fix
    07-16-09 01:51 AM
    ^ agree with that.

at 70, mine seemed to freeze here and there, or bog down when I didnt want to (intense sessions of Brick Breaker anyone?), but when i set it at 80, it became perfect for me.
    07-16-09 01:55 AM
    I posted this in another thread...

But yes, this fixes the problem!
    07-16-09 01:55 AM
    It would stick and freeze. In other threads people were returning their Tours for this reason.
    07-16-09 01:59 AM
    Yeah of course there will be a feW kinks but hey the device is pretty damn solid thus far. I have no problems with my trackball at 70 for both.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 02:00 AM
    I think mine's actually a bit defective. I may go in to exchange it since I'll hopefully get one with a solid battery cover.

The trackball on mine works fine scrolling up, down, and left...however when I try to scroll right it won't scroll unless you press down a little harder and then scroll right. Its annoying when composing messages and having to scroll right and then realizing you have to scroll again but with added pressure.

Any suggestions??
    07-16-09 02:58 AM
    go get it replaced. my first tour wouldn't scroll down.

I think mine's actually a bit defective. I may go in to exchange it since I'll hopefully get one with a solid battery cover.

The trackball on mine works fine scrolling up, down, and left...however when I try to scroll right it won't scroll unless you press down a little harder and then scroll right. Its annoying when composing messages and having to scroll right and then realizing you have to scroll again but with added pressure.

Any suggestions??
    07-16-09 03:24 AM
    The sensitivity fix is not a "fix" at all.

I had purchased my Tour on the 12th, took it home and was instantly annoyed by the horrible left/right scrolling. So, I increased my sensitivity to 90, and yes it was BETTER, but not perfect, still sticky and still jumpy. A guy at my office got his tour delivered yesterday. I took his out of the box (with sensitivity defaults at 70) and scrolled left/right. Not only was it better than mine was at 70, it was MUCH better than mine was even with sensitivity at 90.

So, I called my VZW store, they had more Tours in stock. Went on over, swapped it out, no questions asked. My new Tour is 100x better than my old one was set at 90.

The bottomline is, I thought that I too "fixed" my problem after setting it to 90, until I played with a non-defective trackball. The difference is uncanny and if you are having trackball issues and NEED (not want/desire) to move your sensitivity to 90, then you should be going to get a new device.

(For me the most annoying thing was trying to highlight for copy/paste...!!)

Also: I read the other "fix" about "feathering" the trackball, and that too is not true. Yes, "feathering" my older Tour did make it work "better" -- but now with this new one, I can use as much or as little pressure as I want when scrolling and it still works flawlessly. The "feathering", like the "sensitivity" change only masks the underlying problem with the trackball. Although after "feathering" and putting it to 90 it worked "better" - I still feared that at some point it would only get worse, and why should I have to sidestep a hardware problem with a 2 day old phone already?

There is a completely noticeable difference between my old Tour and my new one. I suggest swapping it out.

/end rant
    07-16-09 09:16 AM
    Thanks for the tip - 80 is MUCH better!
    07-16-09 09:24 AM
    hmmmm i put it at 80 right out of the box, thats what i had my curve set on also, so no idea how it works on 70, too scared to put it back down to 70 just to see haha

i wonder how to clean the trackball now, there is no ring to pop off
    07-16-09 06:30 PM
    I just noticed this today in the store--the left right and up down is fine not within writing text, but the second you right a text that goes longer than one line--the left and right is weird. When you have a single line of text though--it is fine.

Anyone else have this issue?
    07-16-09 09:35 PM
    Hi,

I am having this problem on my blackberry tour. I think it is a manufacturing defect as there is a big difference between the feel, sound, and resulting cursor movement between a good trackball and a faulty one.

People who experience this issue should complain to Verizon otherwise it will never be resolved by Blackberry.
    07-17-09 04:12 PM
    It is absolutely a defect, as some of you have mentioned. At my company, we have ordered several Tours now. Of the 3 we ordered - one of them has this issue (trackball sort of "sticks" horizontally - works fine vertically). I returned to Verizon and the replacement phone has the SAME issue. Seeing all of these posts online about it just proves it is a manufacturing issue. Hope RIM gets this fixed quick. In the meantime, I'm going to the store to swap out in person so that I can test the next one.
    07-22-09 03:12 PM
    80...holly cr*p. I run at 70 70 and it flys in every direction. Anyone with trackball lags or horizontal slowness listen up. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT. DON'T JUST ADJUST YOUR SENSITIVITY, EXCHANGE IT. Had to be said. Mine was perfect and my coworker thought his was just the way it was, until he tried mine. His lagged horizontally and was just slower. He exchanged it without issue and it is perfect. 70 70 should be streaming for you if your Tour is working correctly.
    07-22-09 04:34 PM
    Does anyone know if a Verizon store could just replace the trackball as opposed to the entire device? I would hate to exchange it and go from one problem to another.
    07-22-09 04:57 PM
    80/80 is perfect for me

70/70 was sticking as well
    07-22-09 06:01 PM
    Switched to 70 70 because 80 80 was getting a little too sensitive for me especially in the browser... Works very well, can't imagine having it at 90 and still sticky. Agree with poster a few posts back... Should definitely try to exchange it if that's the case

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 06:11 PM
    Does anyone know if a Verizon store could just replace the trackball as opposed to the entire device? I would hate to exchange it and go from one problem to another.
    they did it for the curves all the time....i know sprint did at least
    07-22-09 06:37 PM
    Default (70/70) works best for me.
    07-22-09 06:42 PM
    It is absolutely a device issue. Not something to fix with settings or "breaking the phone in". Another string of users with the same issue.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/fi...66/index6.html
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/tr...r-tour-273700/
    07-29-09 04:14 PM
    It is absolutely a device issue. Not something to fix with settings or "breaking the phone in". Another string of users with the same issue.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/fi...66/index6.html
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/tr...r-tour-273700/
    Sorry I still dont get it, I am new to Blackberry, the tour being my first device. To me scolling from side to side takes several rolls of the ball, but that not what you mean with lag is it? can somebody define lag and how I determine that i have it?
    07-29-09 07:16 PM
    pgodden, yes - this is the issue I am referring to. Typically, the ball is relatively accurate and one swipe of your finger will scroll. You don't have to swipe more than once to get it to move - normally.
    08-03-09 01:47 PM
    Trackball issue truly resolved! Just to add to the resolution of this issue... After going through 5 Tours (between 2 of us here at my office) that had the trackball issues, and reading the forums about the newly shipped Tours with fixed trackballs (noted by the green sticker on the box), I got my hands on one of these. I've had it for over a week with zero issues. I spoke to a Verizon rep and he read the inner office email to me. It basically said that the issue is known and resolved with this new batch of Tours. MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE WITH THE GREEN "DOT" STICKER ON THE BOX. It seems to be true. Hope this helps some of you, as I was getting really bummed about the issue and had resorted back to the Curve until getting the latest Tour. Glad to see this was fixed!
    09-08-09 09:00 AM
    Yes! I have the same horizontal trackball problem and my battery cover is kinda lose! Gunna return it or get it fixed by sprint tomorrow!
    01-28-10 09:51 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD