Lets post up some tips and tricks we have found with the new Tour. Perhaps some of these tricks have been around on other devices, but lets post them up so all can benefit from it.

I'll start it off:

1. Hold down the the letter Q (as in Quiet) to turn the ringers off and put it in vibrate mode. Press and hold Q again to turn it back on.
    2. Press and hold the letter A to lock the phone
    3. To reboot the phone, press and hold the alt key and the right shift key at the same time and then press del. This is sort of like doing cntrl, alt, delete on a PC.
    4. While in the clock, press the BB button to get all sorts of option, such as changing the clock to digital, changing it to look like an old school bedside alarm clock, turning on the alarm clock, using the stopwatch, etc.
    07-19-09 03:10 PM
    Some more:

1. Press and hold green talk button to pull up your contact list
    2. Press and hold BB button to get list of programs that are running in the background
    07-19-09 03:13 PM
    Better watch out for SmashFace, shell come in here not caring.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 03:17 PM
    Better watch out for SmashFace, shell come in here not caring.

Who cares. She very rarely has anything nice to say. I usually appreciate a person being direct (I am myself), but she takes it to an OCD level unmatched by anyone I've seen on any forum. Save your breath, gal. Move along...
    07-19-09 03:23 PM
    Does anworm browser hack (Anworm BB(BlackBerry Without BIS)) work with the Tour?
    Last edited by briandv; 07-19-09 at 03:28 PM.
    07-19-09 03:26 PM
    Press on "D" when you are using browser and it will take you to homescreen but it's not work on Tour.
    07-19-09 03:27 PM
    Press on "D" when you are using browser and it will take you to homescreen but it's not work on Tour.
    If it doesn't work on the Tour, you probably shouldn't post it on the Tour tips and Tricks thread, no? I just tried it, and verified that it does not work.
    07-19-09 03:30 PM
    Lol its a BB and has pretty much the same shortcuts as pretty much every other 9xxx series BB include the 8900 on that list.... Reason for a new thread is?

07-19-09 03:31 PM
    Who cares. She very rarely has anything nice to say. I usually appreciate a person being direct (I am myself), but she takes it to an OCD level unmatched by anyone I've seen on any forum. Save your breath, gal. Move along...
    Agreed. 10 Char
    07-19-09 03:33 PM
    Why do people ignore the only important post in a thread... sigh.
    07-19-09 03:35 PM
    If it doesn't work on the Tour, you probably shouldn't post it on the Tour tips and Tricks thread, no? I just tried it, and verified that it does not work.
    I'm wait for other members to post the solve.

Only work is alt + escape, it will take to homescreen.
    Lol its a BB and has pretty much the same shortcuts as pretty much every other 9xxx series BB include the 8900 on that list.... Reason for a new thread is?

Actually I didn't know the Q did what the OP said, as well as a lot of newbies don't know where to look or have time to read through 8 billion threads with this stuff, so I guess having it pop up, even if duplicated, can be helpful. If you don't like it, just move on. Forums are a choice

"pretty much" is the key to your statement. I came from a Curve 8330, and it didn't have the Q for Quiet mode or the A for locking the keys. It also didn't have the same options with the alarm clock/timer.

In addition, there are folks that are experiencing a BB for the first time and this is a great place for them to find this stuff.

If you don't want to read it, then don't.
    07-19-09 03:36 PM
    this is kind of for all bb's but people ask this anyway so I will put it here

if you type things that need 's at the end

simply setup a quicktext to be s %b's and then when you type for example

Ted s it will turn it into Ted's

if that makes sense..

also many shortcuts for the device are located in the help file right on the device..

open help select shortcuts

there is shortcuts all over its good to read them and learn them they can be very useful
    07-19-09 03:39 PM
    Didn't know about the "ctrl-alt-del" shortcut... kind of defeats the purpose of QuickPull (unless you do scheduled pulls).

Press and hold W for voicemail.
    07-19-09 03:49 PM
    Didn't know about the "ctrl-alt-del" shortcut... kind of defeats the purpose of QuickPull (unless you do scheduled pulls).

Press and hold W for voicemail.

Yeah, in those rare occasions where you have to reboot in public, it sure beats holding the batter door in one hand, and the phone and battery in the other and then snapping it all back together. Granted, this is supposedly not like a full battery pull, but it is pretty close and could probably get most people by and then save the battery pull for a more convenient time every once in a while.
    07-19-09 03:52 PM
    I can't take credit for this one, I read it on another thread (but I don't remember which thread or the author).

To change the preset speed dial optons (like W=voicemail), click at the end of the preset speed dial option that you want to change and hit the return button. Then choose another contact to put on that button and save.

The change will be saved unless you do a battery pull, at which time it will have to be reset.
    07-19-09 03:56 PM
    H while in browser takes u to ur homepage. ...unless u meant ur actual homescreen/menuscreen in which case I just hit the hangup key.

I've used various bb's for YEARS and didn't know bout the q and a keys, btw.

My faves:
    While in browser
    i to zoom in
    O to zoom out
    K to pull up bookmarks menu
    G to pull up url/search bars/history
    A to add the currrnt page as a bookmark
    U to increase screen space by removing the top bar
    And of course space and left-alt+space to page down/up, respectivley.
    07-19-09 04:04 PM
    I just discovered this while misreading another shortcut in this thread lol..

Press and hold alt then press back (if that's the proper name for the button to the right of the trackball). This works like alt+tab in Windows. As you're holding alt, pressing and releasing the back button will let you toggle through your running applications. Releasing everything switches to the app you've selected. This is extremely handy if you're switching back and forth between applications.
    07-19-09 04:08 PM
    Newer OS's let you just hold the BB button to bring up the app switcher, hurray redundancy!
    07-19-09 04:24 PM
    Is there a shortcut to simulate the "tab" key so that you can quickly advance to the next text entry field?
    07-19-09 04:33 PM
    A very handy shortcut I found in the browser is to press Z to switch between page view and column view.. Saves a bunch of button presses!

07-19-09 04:36 PM
    A very handy shortcut I found in the browser is to press Z to switch between page view and column view.. Saves a bunch of button presses!

That's a good one! The Verizon manual that came with the Tour suggests pressing the BB button and selecting Column or Page view as a shortcut - how is that a shortcut? Clearly they should have said to press Z...
    07-19-09 04:43 PM
    Lets post up some tips and tricks we have found with the new Tour. Perhaps some of these tricks have been around on other devices, but lets post them up so all can benefit from it.

I'll start it off:

1. Hold down the the letter Q (as in Quiet) to turn the ringers off and put it in vibrate mode. Press and hold Q again to turn it back on.
    2. Press and hold the letter A to lock the phone
    3. To reboot the phone, press and hold the alt key and the right shift key at the same time and then press del. This is sort of like doing cntrl, alt, delete on a PC.
    4. While in the clock, press the BB button to get all sorts of option, such as changing the clock to digital, changing it to look like an old school bedside alarm clock, turning on the alarm clock, using the stopwatch, etc.
    thanks.......
    07-19-09 05:27 PM
    This works for some stuff and not for others but if you are in the browser you can push t to navigate to the top of the page and b for bottom of the page. It works for other things but I don't know what. Also when in message and you want to reply you can just puxh r and it will go to the screen where u can begin to type to reply.
    You can also hold the alt key while pushing l then g then l than g again and it will bring up the event log.

Last edited by rryoung; 07-19-09 at 05:50 PM.
    07-19-09 05:46 PM
240 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD