So I currently have a Storm, love the device, but the killer for me is a lag in the accelerometer, and the apps. If I were to go to a Tour, am I going to be just as disappointed in speediness? I would be giving up a large screen, but may be worth it for a physical keyboard. Battery door, that won't phase me. I am a basic, but classic user of blackberry features. I am an advanced user to blackberry, so I can settle for minor flaws. Anyone coming from a Storm to a Tour now that misses any features, or likes new features (and what?)?
    08-10-09 01:48 AM
    So I currently have a Storm, love the device, but the killer for me is a lag in the accelerometer, and the apps. If I were to go to a Tour, am I going to be just as disappointed in speediness? I would be giving up a large screen, but may be worth it for a physical keyboard. Battery door, that won't phase me. I am a basic, but classic user of blackberry features. I am an advanced user to blackberry, so I can settle for minor flaws. Anyone coming from a Storm to a Tour now that misses any features, or likes new features (and what?)?
    What OS are you running that still has that bad of lag?
    08-10-09 02:10 AM
    I'm running 4.7.1.40/.151/5.0.0.140 on 4.0.0.186 Platform. The main thing is the accelerometer that's bugging me. It takes like 3 seconds to finally know I want to switch, and many times it's stuck in one mode (landscape or portrait), and to knock it out I have to rotate the entire phone around or wait 5+ seconds to get back to the home screen.
    08-10-09 02:15 AM
    yes...def worth the change. i had no issues with accelerometer on the storm, however the lag for apps was very disappointing. no matter what os you have on the storm, the application speed can't match that of the tour. i have more apps on the tour than i had on the storm and my app memory is always above 95mb with no lag what so ever.
    08-10-09 02:16 AM
    I'm running 4.7.1.40/.151/5.0.0.140 on 4.0.0.186 Platform. The main thing is the accelerometer that's bugging me. It takes like 3 seconds to finally know I want to switch, and many times it's stuck in one mode (landscape or portrait), and to knock it out I have to rotate the entire phone around or wait 5+ seconds to get back to the home screen.
    Whos hybrid is that? Im running Lyricidal's and my screen rotation is 1-1.5 sec with his latest build. You may want to give that a shot. He just released a newer build with the new .167 files and added some other 5.0 files as well. Link in my sig if ya wanna check it out
    08-10-09 02:26 AM
    I have the Storm 9530 and currently run BBCrackman's Hybrid 8 which truly makes the Storm a great device. With that said I just ordered my Tour from Verizon CS this morning (I am not able to drive for a few weeks more). They key benefits of me owning both is there are times I want the larger screen, touch screen and landscape and there are times where a physical keyboard just are a must for me and the trackball is a desire as well.

I have had my Storm since January and have had no major issues, or I don't seem phased by issues others are having that I may or may not be having. The retail price wasn't too bad but then again I had some Verizon Rebate cards to pay for
    08-10-09 08:32 AM
    I have the tour, great phone. I love it. I know people mentioned issues with battery door, trackball, speaker, and screen ripples...i have had no issues with those at all! maybe i got lucky and got a good phone, who knows? but i love it, wouldn't give it up for anything.
    08-10-09 08:46 AM
    i love my tour. i had a pearl originally and that thing was slower than a turtle walking backwards with 3 legs and arthritis.

theres a lot of threads ppl complaining of battery doors and other crap. i dont know how legit it is, b/c i read all of them & the reviews before getting my phone and made me a bit apprehensive but when i got the phone the trackball is fine, the battery door sits still and it functions as it should. so i highly reccommend it.
    08-10-09 10:35 AM
    Tour is really sweet....I played with a buddies....
    It is fast, great screen, etc.
    We cannot BT pair it to anything. We have tried multiple headsets, BT synching, etc. nothing.
    Yes, BT is on, on the device.
    08-10-09 10:37 AM
    Tour is really sweet....I played with a buddies....
    It is fast, great screen, etc.
    We cannot BT pair it to anything. We have tried multiple headsets, BT synching, etc. nothing.
    Yes, BT is on, on the device.
    Weird... I paired my Jawbone in 1min. You either A have no clue how to pair a BT or B have a defective device.
    08-10-09 10:47 AM
    I just had to go to pioneers website to update my blue tooth software and had no problems after that. Sync's perfectly. Check with the product company and check for updates.
    08-10-09 10:59 AM
    The only thing i missed was the screen size but that was it. Worth the change, and if your not happy you have 30 days to return it.
    08-10-09 11:04 AM
    Would I be able to transfer all my info (mainly calendar, tasks, phonebook) from my storm to the tour using DM?
    08-10-09 11:56 AM
    Yes you will... Just usethe device switch wizard.. I've always been more about efficiency than cool factor.. The tour brings both to the table.. I will miss my Storms Large screen but I can get everything done on my tour faster..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 03:06 PM
    i had the difficult decision of switching from my storm to the tour. overall i really enjoy the tour, its very swift and responsive. the QWERTY keyboard is also a joy to use compared to banging out messages on the SureType which started to hurt my thumbs after a while.

i do miss the large screen, it was one of the make-or-break factors for me because i liked having the large screen for image viewing, video watching, web browsing, what have you.

i do get text messages out a lot faster and get things done overall quicker with the tour and the battery life is much better on the tour than the storm.

the only application that actually worked as i wanted it to on the storm was BlackBerry App World which wasn't much of a big deal because there is BlackBerry App World on the tour also.

i think that you won't miss the storm if you do decide to switch over. and if you keep your storm (like i did) you can always switch the device every couple months or so, just for fun haha
    08-10-09 03:11 PM
    I came from a storm to a tour and I'm very happy with the decision. I do not miss anything from the storm. the tour is a super great device!

08-10-09 03:17 PM
    When it comes to apps and themes you will be disappointed and frustrated. Right now there are only a few themes on bplay for the Tour and none of them are free.

Also there are many apps that are not compatable with the tour. And my not compatible with the tour I mean that they will load and may even run, but if one of them give your a out of memory error and you are forced to a battery pull plan on spending a few hours reloading your OS and apps again. It would be nice if all developers and/or app world would actually tell you their app doesn't work on the tour, but app world will gladly let you install something that will brick your phone (evernote I am talking about you)

If I were you and you could hold out for a couple more months to see if the develpers and/or rim get the OS or apps updated to stop giving a 552 error I would. Overall the Tour is a great device you just have to be very careful in what you install.
    08-10-09 03:21 PM
    i would definitely change to the tour. i had the storm since launch and it was always laggy every OS i updated. i upgraded to the tour last thursday and it is the best phone i have ever used. its fast and the keyboard is amazing.
    08-10-09 03:24 PM
    If you are thinking about it... Go for it. The Tour is SWEET.

Don't be scared by the negative posts. There will always be some bad experiences and those generally will surface here.

08-10-09 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD