I opened the FedEx box and pulled out the Tour box, pulled off the white sleeve and the clear seal on the black box was cut!! WTF! I called Verizon and they are sending me a return label. I am not going to activate what is supposed to be a brand new phone that had already been opened! I dont trust what couldve been done with it. Plus you could tell the clear cover over the display was removed and put back on because there was a hair under it.

By the way, the battery cover was really loose. (not sure if that is why this unit was already opened because someone else returned it). I thought people were just being anal about the loose cover, but now that I felt it....I totally agree with them. It just feels like the entire unit is cheap and about to come apart when you hold it.

So far, not a good experience with the Tour. I might just wait a few weeks until all the initial bugs and problems get worked out.
    07-15-09 06:01 PM
    I expected they would attempt to resell those. Some people may not care or know any better. I plan to innocase mine so unless its falling off it won't bother me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 06:09 PM
    Its just not very professional to try to pawn something off on someone else. I am not usually one to complain about things, but when I spend good money for something...I at least want to know what I am getting hasnt been manhandled by anyone other than the manufacturer.

Would someone want to take home a brand new LCD flat panel tv that they just spent $1000 on, when the box is opened and re-sealed with duct tape? Same principle. lol.
    07-15-09 06:23 PM
    My seal on the box was also broken. I ordered mine last Wednesday and it got here yesterday, so I highly doubt it was returned. You'd think even if they were selling you a refurbished/returned phone, they'd be able to put another sticker on the box to cover it up. May have been some other reason--my battery cover is relatively firm (it slides very slightly but not noticeable).
    07-15-09 06:24 PM
    Is it possible the Tour box was opened to install the SIM card and memory card @ Verizon before they sent it to you?
    07-15-09 06:30 PM
    haha, love the avatar commie....sexual harassment panda!

So your seal was broken too? Maybe I am not as trustworthy. Just my intuition told me that theres possibly something wrong with it if the factory seal is cut. I work in manufacturing and if we have to rework something, we will repackage it so the end user is not aware of anything. It just tells me someone may have tampered with it while it was in the warehouse or something.
    07-15-09 06:30 PM
    This is really OT, but you both need to call FedEx and file a formal complaint if the package was tampered with. It is against the law to open a package that isn't addressed to you.
    The FedEx box was sealed just fine....its just the actual box that the Tour comes in...that seal was cut.
    07-15-09 06:32 PM
    Is it possible the Tour box was opened to install the SIM card and memory card @ Verizon before they sent it to you?
    I dont know....but the Verizon rep that I talked to said that they shipped the phones directly from a warehouse when they get the order. Mine came from Memphis, TN.

If we could verify that, I will keep the phone so I dont have to wait several weeks to get another one.
    07-15-09 06:35 PM
    Could have been a random check for the carrier. There are no laws, only corporate policy in preventing someone at FedEx from opening your packages through them.

That just sucks, but I would call FedEx and complain about it. Though, FedEx claims suck. They once froze a laptop of mine when I was living in Canada. Exposing it to -30c for, oh about 24 hours. They never paid up, because they used a third party to make the final delivery.

Then had the gall 3 weeks later to send me a bill for the Customs check/Taxes. Yeah, they got an ear full on that.
    07-15-09 06:36 PM
    This would be my initial thought if I hadn't purchased a Tour myself. However, I distinctly remember that the clear label was secure on my box (sealed) as the VZW guy tried to open it with a pen, but the pen snapped apart due to the heavy-duty seal.

I would call Verizon (regional) and bring this up as a complaint.
    07-15-09 06:40 PM
    haha, love the avatar commie....sexual harassment panda!

So your seal was broken too?
    Haha, yup it's the sexual harassment panda! Yeah the circular transparent seal on the Tour box was cut neatly. The hair under the sticker bit seems sketchy for you. Mine was also shipped from Memphis. I definitely hesitated a bit when I saw that the seal was opened but I looked at the phone and decided it wasn't enough to merit returning it.
    07-15-09 06:44 PM
    Haha, yup it's the sexual harassment panda! Yeah the circular transparent seal on the Tour box was cut neatly. The hair under the sticker bit seems sketchy for you. Mine was also shipped from Memphis. I definitely hesitated a bit when I saw that the seal was opened but I looked at the phone and decided it wasn't enough to merit returning it.
    Maybe someone in the Memphis distribution center is doing a little more handling of the packages then they should!! I dont know if they could get some info or anything from the phone by opening it, but I still am leary.

I also contemplated keeping it, but since my ordering experience sucked as well, I am just gonna return it. I didnt get the $70 instant rebate online and I was supposed to get it shipped overnight and that didnt happen either.

****!!! lol.
    07-15-09 06:50 PM
    Maybe someone in the Memphis distribution center is doing a little more handling of the packages then they should!! I dont know if they could get some info or anything from the phone by opening it, but I still am leary.

I also contemplated keeping it, but since my ordering experience sucked as well, I am just gonna return it. I didnt get the $70 instant rebate online and I was supposed to get it shipped overnight and that didnt happen either.

****!!! lol.
    Yeah if you're going to always have doubt lingering in your mind it's better to get a new one...you're just more patient than I am...I wasn't waiting anymore. It didn't help that my old cell phone was completely non-functional so for all intents and purposes I had no phone.
    07-15-09 08:52 PM
    Okay gang here is why the seal was most likey broken.

THere was an issue with the VZAM software CD that came with the unit. The box was opened to remove the cd and put in the paper work that tells you where you can download it on the internet.
    Last edited by lastraid; 07-17-09 at 11:31 AM.
    07-15-09 09:34 PM
    Okay gang here is whty the seal was most likey broken.

THere was an issue with the VZAM software CD that came with the unit. The box was opened to remove the cd and put in the paper work that tells you where you can download it on the internet.
    this

10 char
    07-15-09 10:28 PM
    Okay gang here is whty the seal was most likey broken.

mine as sealed do i need a different cd?
    07-15-09 10:29 PM
    mine as sealed do i need a different cd?
    did you get a vzam cd with it?
    07-15-09 10:32 PM
    my seal was broken and also shipped out of memphis.

What is the vzam cd? The user tools cd I had would not work in my computer (like many others), I ended up downloading it online. so if they indeed switched a cd, this one didn't work either.
    07-15-09 10:41 PM
    Mine was open also. I had no wrapper on the box at all. Also I could tell the tamper seal on the wrapper over the tour had been broken.

My guess is to install the SIM chip?

Regardless, a note needs to be included then. Because I could tell the box had been open before I even saw the actual phone. Not too happy about that.

Oh and my CD worked fine.
    07-15-09 10:42 PM
    my seal was broken and also shipped out of memphis.

What is the vzam cd? The user tools cd I had would not work in my computer (like many others), I ended up downloading it online. so if they indeed switched a cd, this one didn't work either.
    vzam = vz access manager. software needed to tether your bb
    07-15-09 10:43 PM
    no all i had was the BB cd
    07-15-09 11:22 PM
    Well, Telus has you people beat. I know mine and a few others didn't have the seal at all. And come to think of it, neither of my Storms had the seal either.

I was a bit iffy at first but realized that I got 1 of 20 on the first shipment at my location and there was no reason to be concerned.

As for what SmashFace said, I know people who work corporate security with FedEx and the other couriers who get paid to watch handlers. The general consensus is if you open a package that is not yours, you will be charged. Something along the lines of tampering and theft. Maybe its different in the US, but if anything else, I'd imagine it would be stricter laws.

07-15-09 11:24 PM
    The seal was broken?!?! This is like that time my prom date told me she was a .... nevermind....Anyways I would send it back. You have no idea what someone did with the device.
    07-15-09 11:36 PM
    The seal was broken?!?! This is like that time my prom date told me she was a .... nevermind....Anyways I would send it back. You have no idea what someone did with the device.
    sheesh paranoia runs rampant around here
    07-15-09 11:46 PM
    My battery cover is loose and my box was open. but worse yet it came without a battery for the cover to protect

07-16-09 12:00 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD