Like many of you, I've been plagued with the unstable signal strength with the Tour bouncing from 1XEV to 1xev to 1X to "Searching for CDMA". This in the same area where my Curve 8330 on this same network functioned just fine.

I just did something, and so far I've had good luck with the phone staying on 1XEV. Time will tell, so I was hoping some of you could do the same thing and then report back whether or not it helped.

Remove the battery from the phone. Remove the SIM card and just set it aside. Put the battery back on and let the phone boot up. Give it a few minutes to establish a signal and log back in to programs, etc. Once you get a 1XEV signal, see if it stays that way longer than it used to. Like I say, so far so good. Just leave the stupid SIM card out and in a safe place. You don't need it unless you're going to travel overseas anyway.
    11-01-09 02:07 PM
    ive noticed a worse battery life with the new sprint .57 upgrade that i did. this upgrade also gives me a signal fluctuation which i didnt have before.. so maybe this will also increase battery life? thx for the tip
    11-01-09 02:09 PM
    I will let you know. It is worth a shot. FYI, you can put the sim card right on top of the battery close to the top by the camera and close the door and it works fine.
    I also found this, and I know it is stupid, but if you hold the phone with your left hand, the reception goes up. Just my observation at work when I only 2-3 bars.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 02:43 PM
    I just flipped the card over. Fit just fine and I can't lose it.

We'll see what happens...
    11-01-09 02:47 PM
    I also found this, and I know it is stupid, but if you hold the phone with your left hand, the reception goes up. Just my observation at work when I only 2-3 bars.

You can reach a steady 5 bars if you hold it with your right foot. Only problem is getting it next to your ear.

Ok joke aside, although my signal seems to be better and more stable with .57, i will try the sim card thing.

11-01-09 03:01 PM
    hahahahaha
    11-01-09 03:13 PM
    im going to try removing the sim as well even though I have it disabled to begin with.
    11-01-09 03:48 PM
    Doesnt seem to make any difference at all for me..... mind you i never dropped from 1XEV to begin with. Signal seems the same with or without card.
    11-01-09 04:05 PM
    Doesnt seem to make any difference at all for me..... mind you i never dropped from 1XEV to begin with. Signal seems the same with or without card.
    If it 'aint broke, don't fix it. What's the point?
    11-01-09 04:13 PM
    I'm still going strong after removing the SIM. I've done a lot of testing by going back and forth between programs that use a data signal, and so far it has been rock solid. I'm very encouraged.

Thanks to all for the tip about turning the sim around and putting it back in for easy storage.
    11-01-09 04:14 PM
    MisteB, what do u imply might be stabilizing the signal strength by removing the card...(Its blocking the antenna and giving strength?, disabling global network signal when not in use?)
    11-01-09 05:30 PM
    If it 'aint broke, don't fix it. What's the point?
    The point was to see if it made any kind of difference. My signal drops when i hit the browser but then goes right back to where it was. Thought MAYBE i would see a difference but not in my case. Since i have no 1XEV to 1X problem, i guess your right,dont try to fix what aint broke!
    11-01-09 05:41 PM
    MisteB, what do u imply might be stabilizing the signal strength by removing the card...(Its blocking the antenna and giving strength?, disabling global network signal when not in use?)
    I think the phone might be fighting back and forth between global and 1XEV, even though that feature is disabled and set to just 1XEV. Something to that effect, or maybe the SIM's weren't activate correctly, and so they're just constantly fighting and trying to update. Hard to say, but removing the card is STILL working for me. Can't believe it.
    11-01-09 06:08 PM
    Trying this now....will report back shortly.
    11-01-09 07:00 PM
    Wow...you might have something here. Ever since I flipped my SIM card my signal has been as stable as ever. Usually I bounce around from -80 to about -96 (more fluctuation during data usage), however after flipping the card I've been getting a steady -80 to -87.

THANKS!
    Last edited by D1PHAM; 11-01-09 at 07:15 PM.
    11-01-09 07:13 PM
    hhmm..I'm gonna give this a try right now!
    11-01-09 08:11 PM
    seems to be giving positive results here. typically my signal bars drop to nothing for no reason, not since I tried this an hour ago though. thanks for the tip.
    11-01-09 08:13 PM
    HMmmm$ was skeptical. But I did it antway and this is silly, but I'm in a room in my house that makes me crazy with slow or no signal, no exception, but I'm zipping along. This isn't going to do anything that will affect my bill will it? Lol

Will have to see how it goes.
    The card is only for leaving the country?

11-01-09 08:43 PM
    Just did this now. My phone reverted back to Global after the batt. pull. Changed to 1XEV and did the *228 update for a "tweak". I'll post back in a bit. Hope this helps.
    11-01-09 08:48 PM
    I have been running the .61 on my Tour. It appears very steady. Please post the OS you are running if you think it helped by taking the sim card out.
    11-01-09 09:15 PM
    I'm on the stock Vzw OS .40. It seems alright thusfar. Seems slightly more stable and have gained a bar of reception. Usually staying on 3 bars in my basement.
    Last edited by BlkBryAddict; 11-01-09 at 09:33 PM.
    11-01-09 09:22 PM
    I removed the SIM card so I'm hoping for positive results.
    11-01-09 09:29 PM
    HMmmm$ was skeptical. But I did it antway and this is silly, but I'm in a room in my house that makes me crazy with slow or no signal, no exception, but I'm zipping along. This isn't going to do anything that will affect my bill will it? Lol

Will have to see how it goes.
    The card is only for leaving the country?

It's a Vodafone card that allows you to use a GSM network outside of the country.
    11-01-09 09:30 PM
    Working great for the last 3 hours on .40.
    11-02-09 12:31 AM
    I think the phone might be fighting back and forth between global and 1XEV, even though that feature is disabled and set to just 1XEV. Something to that effect, or maybe the SIM's weren't activate correctly, and so they're just constantly fighting and trying to update. Hard to say, but removing the card is STILL working for me. Can't believe it.
    HmM...made me wanna try it..u convinced me...will post back with results...
    11-02-09 01:03 AM
194 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD