Hi guys,

My two most recently downloaded apps are coming up with weird error messages.

When I enable mass storage support, my phone says "OutofMemory error" for both apps.

When I disable it, App 1 (texts from last night) says "uncagh exception: java.lang.Error" and App 2 (Poynt) says the OutfMemoryError again.

Now, for my Application Memory I have 42.9 mb of space, and all my other apps seem to run fine.

Anyone have any ideas? Would be much appreciated ^_^
    01-12-10 02:38 AM
    Actually, never mind! I did a search and it turned out it was my permissions, I just needed to go to options > advanced options > applications > app > edit permissions and then hit allow for everything... For some reason the default was set to custom. Hope this helps anyone w/ the same problem
    01-12-10 02:42 AM
    Congratulations. It is heartening to see someone use search to resolve a problem. The site is chock full of help for anyone to find.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 06:00 AM
    Glad you found your solution.

Out of curiosity what OS are you running on your Tour? i have 9630/4.7.1.61. i'm pretty sure when i got those errors after downloading 2 apps, i got a Reload Software 552 Error after a reboot.

01-12-10 06:28 AM
    FRAK. Solution my arse,
    That's EXACTLY what I got, Chrisy.
    What do I do now?
    01-12-10 11:00 AM
    i'm sorry that happened to you too!

Hook your BlackBerry up and open Desktop Manager. Even though it will appear that youre disconnected (PIN: NONE), click on applications.

Look through the list and DELETE (check them) the last two apps that you installed. The ones that caused that error. Then click next and let DM finish the process of deleting those apps.

Your BlackBerry should then reboot up fine.

Let me know.

If that doesn't work, you will have to reload your OS and any data on the device as well as 3rd party apps will be gone. You'll then have to restore your data from a backup.
    But that's a last resort. Try what i posted about removing those two apps using DM first.

01-12-10 01:25 PM
    When you see the initial error, OP, you know the app has installed incorrectly.

The Reload Software 552 seems to be a re occurring issue with Tour owners on OS 4.7. Those that have loaded 5.0 haven't reported the problem.

Whatever app you downloaded did not *specifically* cause it. There's a bug in OS 9630/4.7 that causes apps to randomly install incorrectly.

If you can hook your BlackBerry to Desktop Manager and remove the app(s) that caused the error and everything boots up like before the error, then that's the easy fix. No reloading OS or restore required. However, you're bound to get the 552 Error again sometime in the future.

Here's a good explanation and tip:

Xopher 08:20 AM 12-16-2009 -- [Ed] [Reply] [!!]

According to RIM, it is an application index issue. The app is getting installed into the wrong memory space. From my experience, it isn't a memory error. It is more about the number of apps installed.

Run an app as soon as you install it, without rebooting if possible. If you get the error, delete the app immediately. If you get the 552 error on reboot, connect to your PC and use BBSAK to remove the app. You should be able to reboot without reloading the OS.

What makes me think this is a "number of apps" issue is you can delete an app, then insall a different one without getting the error. You can even delete an 18K app and install a 2MB app without getting the error, just as long as the number of applications doesn't increase over the (unknown) limit.

You can always upgrade to a leaked 5.0 OS. The indexing error doesn't seem to exist in 5.0. At least I have never had the error since bumping up to 5.0.
    i've had 2 Reload Software 552 Errors last week! One was after installing Google App. Even so, the Tour is a great phone and i have had no issues that would cause me to return it. i've since installed 4 apps with no issues. You just need to make sure they download correctly, run them right away (before a reboot), and if you get any errors or issues...DELETE the app BEFORE you reboot. Then you will not get the 552 error.

However, the last 552 Error i got (Weather Channel App) after i removed the app via DM, my phone rebooted and then continued in a cycle of reboots. It seems my OS got corrupt or erased. i had to follow the steps to recover a bricked (dead) BlackBerry, and it took me 6 hours to reload the OS, restore my device data and get my 3rd party apps back. What a stressful hassle (thanks to CX though for all the help & moral support)!

i wonder if those of us with 9630/4.7 getting these 552 errors upgraded our OS using the Wireless Upgrade process (OTA)? Perhaps updating the OS like that caused an incomplete OS or a bug somehow. Just a thought...

This is the reason i'm looking forward to an official 5.0 for the Tour.

01-12-10 02:43 PM
    I did end up having to reload my OS... Because I had rebooted the phone immediately after deleting the two troublesome apps, I hit Reload Software 552. And when I plugged in the phone in, I couldn't even get to the app manager. applications was grayed out and I got a message saying "Could not detect an operating system... Recommend loading OS 4.7" - scary!

It was awful because I'm actually travelling in Canada at the moment and I a) left my phone cable back home thinking I'd be fine and thus b) hadn't backed up my phone since the 21st of December... I ended up losing a lot of important emails and calls :-/

Which leads me to another question - does the BIS server (specifically, Verizon) have anywhere online where your BIS account emails are stored and you can check them, or am I totally screwed in terms of getting any of my phone emails back?

Thank you all for the info and your help.. I really appreciate it

So I had to go to a Canadian mobile carrier of the Tour to ask if I could borrow their cable to reinstall my OS (at that point, m
    01-13-10 11:36 PM
    I had to go and remove a ton of apps to get mine to work properly
    02-04-10 09:59 AM
    Same here. i'm on 9630/4.7.1.61. i deleted a bunch of apps and added one or two over the past weeks with no issues. i think it has to do with having a lot of apps.

02-04-10 10:18 AM
    Emails to vzw.blackberry.net are kept on the server only until they are pushed to your phone. So, any emails you get while you are down, will still be there when your phone reconnects to the bis servers. Any that were on your phone already, well... say bye bye.
    02-04-10 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD