I am guessing that the error message is coming from the number of apps installed rather than the amount of memory used (although larger apps seem to bring it up more often).

I have about 40 apps installed on my BB (I didn't know that until I counted them). If I install an app and get the "out of memory" error, I can delete it and reboot without having the 552 error pop up (the 552 error will pop up if I reboot brfore uninstalling the program with the error).

If I uninstall something else (freeing up an app slot), then trying reinstalling the program that got the error, it installs fine - no errors.

As an example, let's say I try to install Viigo and it gives me the "out of memory" error. I'll uninstall Viigo before I do anything else. I can then uninstall Bolt (smaller filesize) and reinstall Viigo without an issue.

I don't know if there is a magic number of apps that stes off the memory error, or maybe it is the number of apps hitting a certain memory location, but if there is an app I really want (no matter the app size), I can usually uninstall one app (even if it is only 19K) and the other app will install properly.

It sounds more like an indexing issue than a real memory issue. Has anyone else noticed something similar?
    11-17-09 05:49 PM
    Now my Tour is experiencing the "OutofMemory" and "Failed Verification" errors, typically resulting in a 552: Reload on the next reboot.

I'm working backwards, trying to delete applications that could be the culprit. But the nature of my work means I can't be running scared of a 552 without access to a PC.
    11-25-09 11:38 AM
    I have EXACTLY the same issue and EXACLTY the same behaviour.. I have just tried to download a supported application (ScanLife) for the Tour and got the error on the app, so I proceed to remove the app. I have just rebooted my BB pulling out the battery and the error is not coming, but what does it mean? That I will NEVER be able to download any app at all???!!!! Does any one know if RIM is aware of this kind of issues??? Here is my list of apps:

Facebook (last version)
    BB Messenger v 5.0
    BuzzMe Pro
    Shazam
    GMaps
    Gmail
    GVoice
    Trapster
    Google Search
    Loopt
    Buzz
    Viigo
    Poynt
    Navita Translator
    Kayak
    DriveSafe.ly
    BuddyGuard
    Xenozu

If you can tell me which app I should remove, I will gladly do it to get rid of this issue. None of the apps that I have on my list has any issues.
    12-17-09 01:55 PM
    27 apps and I hang around 87mb free. Some of the apps are always running in the background. I've never had any issue like you describe.

Running 4.7.1.61
    Last edited by jabo052; 12-17-09 at 02:26 PM.
    12-17-09 02:24 PM
    Hi jabo052..

Basically I have the same behaviour as BarredBard:

.....Once you start getting the 'verification' errors or the 'outofmemory' errors, it really doesn't matter what kind of application you are trying to download. At least, it never mattered for me; the phone would no longer download any apps, and I had over 80MB of memory to work with. Any application could bring the error message up. I would urge patience until OS 5.0 makes its debut. In the meantime, I think all Tour owners should master the art of bringing a bricked phone back to life.....

Because I was afraid of needing to reinstall my OS (again), I remove the ScanLife app (the one that was giving me that error) and I make a reboot of the device... Luckily this time the phone came back again without problems... I am worried if this is going to happen to me again or if I will ever be able to install another app... I am also contacting the ScanLife support team... but really this is hard for me to belive... My OS is 4.7.1.57...are you running another update of the OS??? If this is an update, where I can get it...

Thanks
    12-17-09 02:33 PM
    I've had that issue before. For me, it was with Google Mobile App. I should probably try installing it now and see how it goes.

The Tour is a great phone but it certainly comes with quite a few quirks.
    12-17-09 02:33 PM
    From what I understand the 83** series and 81** series are not getting the 5.0 upgrade. Only 4.6 devices and above. If it does in fact get that OS it will be way after the other devices are all working properly. So that probably explains why there is not 8330 leak.
    Actually, there is a 5.0 leak for the 8330. It is the only one of the older devices that might get 5.0. The 8330 has 96MB of RAM while the others all have 64MB, so 8310 and 8320 BBs won't get 5.0 (neither will the 81xx or 88xx series).
    12-17-09 05:06 PM
    I've been having the same problem. I have a good number of apps downloaded, but I only run 3 or 4 constantly throughout the day (Gmail, Google Voice, BerryWeather, UberTwitter) and a few others intermittently. I have about 76MB of memory free.

One curious thing is that when I tried downloading Bolt 1.6 when it was first released, I got the "Out of Memory" error. This week when I saw that they released 1.62, I thought I'd try downloading that to see if I'd get the same error. Nope. Works like a charm. I'm hoping it'll do the same thing when new versions of apps for which I got the error come out (UT 0.945 and Fandango 1.0.5), but it sucks hard that I have to wait until then to find out.
    01-06-10 04:38 PM
    Had the 552 happen several times, and always just after the out of memory error would appear and a reboot. Just reloaded after the 552 after some reading. But by following what was mentioned by Xopher (Thanks)...after intsalling the app, when given the option to click Ok, or Run, to Run it, and at that point if you get an out of memory error, to uninstall that app. Since I have followed that procedure from a clean install, I have not had any problems as of yet. Prior to this advice, I would always click ok, then go to the download folder and run the app and at times get the out of memory error, and reboot to a 552. After the procedure mentioned, Ive installed around 25 apps (the same ones) and have about 92 MB of application memory, compared to the old way I did installs and my memory stayed in the 65 to 70 range.
    Last edited by gammaray1; 01-06-10 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Added info
    01-06-10 10:03 PM
    So using your example, if you try to add Viigo and get the error, then uninstall/reboot, remove Bolt, reinstall Viigo and it runs fine, can you reinstall Bolt after that w/o any problems?

I'd hate to have to pick and choose apps to keep and delete because of this garbage.

Thanks.
    01-07-10 11:25 AM
    I emailed Viigo about this, and was told that this is a bug in their software application, and they are working with RIM to fix it. Something called a race problem, but am not sure what that is. They suggest trying to unisntall the application, do a battery pull, and try reinstalling the app. Does this help at all?
    01-07-10 11:53 AM
    no, i don't use Viigo. i was referring to one of Xopher's previous posts.

i tried doing what he described, and it worked. i deleted the Y! Fantasy Football '09 app and was able to update UberTwitter, which i wasn't before. then i deleted the Bing search app (which is lame and i wasn't using anyway) and was able to upgrade Poynt. both used to give me "Out of Memory" after i downloaded and tried running them.

there must be some cutoff # of apps 4.7 Tour users can run. hopefully they address this in 5.0, and hopefully we won't have to wait until the Essex comes out for an official 5.0 release (a la Storm/Storm2).
    01-08-10 11:54 AM
    I think I have the same problem... There should be an app that is causing me these issues... I have Viigo...but last time I reinstall the OS I have it without any issues and now I can't install the latest version of Poynt and Grooveshark either... Does anyone know any way I can monitor the memory I have, found which application is causing these kind of issues or an app that can monitor these so I can find out the guilty and remove it? Thanks
    01-08-10 12:40 PM
    If you don't know which app is causing the problem, just try running each app. If you get an "out of memory" error, then you've found the app. Delete it.

If it is an app that you really want, delete another app and you should be able to reinstall without issue.
    01-08-10 02:22 PM
    Hard for me to believe that he answer to the problem is like "delete another app and you should be able to reinstall without issue".. I don't think that I have too many apps on my device... most of it, I am worried that if I delete "any other" would still not resolve the issue and worst I will not be able to reinstall it again... I wish I could get some kind of insight on how to know which application is causing these kind of issues...
    01-08-10 02:27 PM
    This is definitely a problem with 4.7. It seems to have nothing to do with the amount of memory, but rather the number of apps installed... when I hit around 25 is when this little bugger started popping up. When you get it, absolutely do not do a battery pull or you'll get a 552, so delete the app immediately. If you do reboot and get a 552, load the DM and go to App Loader and try to remove the last app you installed. If that doesn't work, you have no choice but to wipe the phone completely.

This is a real killer for me. This better be fixed in 5.0 and we better get it soon, because this combined with the other problems I've had with the Tour is really making me lose faith in RIM, and Android is looking better and better.
    Last edited by slinky317; 01-08-10 at 04:07 PM.
    01-08-10 03:53 PM
    TOTALLY AGREE WITH slinky317 LAST MESSAGE!!!! I was sooooo happy with my Tour, until I start to have this issue and I have exactly the same as slinky317... This is a totally killer!!! I tried to install the leak OS 5 from crackberry but for some reason I am unable to do it on my work PC. I will try today on my home laptop and see if I can do it. Better fix this FAST otherwise I will have to quit on RIM and do the impossible to go to ANDROID (and I don't want to) ... :-(

Does anyone know how to reach the official RIM people to try to get an answer from them about this issue???
    01-08-10 03:58 PM
    TOTALLY AGREE WITH slinky317 LAST MESSAGE!!!! I was sooooo happy with my Tour, until I start to have this issue and I have exactly the same as slinky317... This is a totally killer!!! I tried to install the leak OS 5 from crackberry but for some reason I am unable to do it on my work PC. I will try today on my home laptop and see if I can do it. Better fix this FAST otherwise I will have to quit on RIM and do the impossible to go to ANDROID (and I don't want to) ... :-(

Does anyone know how to reach the official RIM people to try to get an answer from them about this issue???
    You can try in blackberry 101 or use this thread that I used when I updated. I haven't had any problems but I don't run a lot of apps either.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/he...t-time-342461/
    01-08-10 04:47 PM
    YESSS!!! VIIGO WAS THE PROBLEM TO ME TOO!! WTF!! HONESTLY!! Something should warn about that damn application.. :-S .. I was failing to install Poynt and Grooveshar for this dam app.. But now I am free of it .... BTW there are a lot of other apps that do the same thing as Viigo and MUCH MUCH BETTER!! Everyone get rid of that app the Tour will continue working like a charm :-)
    01-13-10 02:47 PM
    Me and my friend both got a Tour 9630. He started getting 522 error on his Tour so much that he decided to replace the device. I felt really bad since I'm a big believer on RIM and recommended it to him.

I wanted to help and started installing the more apps. I was at 79MB left on the Tour at the time. Installed TIME mobile. The last app he installed last that gave him the 522 error. While installing it My tour rebooted and displayed the 522 error. I used DM AppLoader to remove TIME mobile. Tried to reinstall and got the same result. Then downloaded Vlingo (used to work fine before) and got "Out Of Memory" Error. After a reboot I got the same 522 Error again. Used AppLoader and removed it. I then was worried of the reliability of my Tour and the other friends I had recommended it. They have been running them with no issues, and now I was stuck with this big problem myself.

I had Viigo on my 8830 never had an issue with that device. I also had no issues with the Tour with Viigo running on it until today that tried to install more apps. I read this post, and decided to remove Viigo and give it a try. Me and my friend both had it installed since the first day we got the Tours. After uninstalling Viigo, I installed TIME with no issues, then Vlingo and no issues. All my apps are running fine at this time and I'm at 63MB free memory. No issues to report.

My verdict. Uninstall Viigo and resolve your 522 Error. I used Viigo a lot in the past and enjoy it, but this app seem to make my Tour unstable
    01-14-10 10:29 PM
    Its not just Viigo. I never had Viigo installed and am experiencing the same problem with whatever the "next" application is that I try to download- still have 68MB free according to the handset but application will either fail to download (e.g. upgrade to ScannerRadio app) or will download, but have 'out of memory' or 'module verification' error (e.g. Oanda currency converter app). Existing installed apps work fine. Frustrating!!!
    03-25-10 08:40 AM
    guys - this is really serious bull$h!t - WHY do we keep putting up with this - it is simply "unacceptable" and people need to start "returning" their bb fones (exchange is your choice!) especially if under "warranty" - one year! -
    even still, i seriously doubt rim with "get the hint" . . .
    05-31-10 03:46 PM
    No mine has benver done that!!!
    05-31-10 10:36 PM
    06-01-10 04:14 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD