Several weeks ago (months?) I mentioned a method for cleaning your BlackBerry Tour 9630 trackball that I came up with using a paper strip. I said I'd be doing a video soon, but I failed to do so. I apologize. Well, I just completed a quick little tutorial demonstrating this method and if you use it you should see your trackball working good as new again!

To view this video follow the link below. Thanks! Please post back here or on YouTube and let me know if you found this method helpful. Doing so will encourage me to create more cool little vids. God bless!

Search keywords: rim blackberry tour 9630 clean trackball paper strip method seidio snap case disassemble disassembly
    Last edited by kingzee; 02-18-10 at 10:39 AM.
    02-17-10 09:39 PM
    I tried this method weeks(months lol) ago, but could never get the paper all the way through. I was trying to go from right to left to get it in, but was unsuccessful. I see that you tried it from north to south, so I will give this a go again.

Nice work!
    02-17-10 09:46 PM
    OK I give up lol. I tried 2 more times with some loose leaf paper, and I still can not get it to go through. Maybe on the newer models the trackball sits a little tighter.

It does go in though and does collect some dirt, so at least it works halfway.
    02-17-10 10:01 PM
    OK I give up lol. I tried 2 more times with some loose leaf paper, and I still can not get it to go through. Maybe on the newer models the trackball sits a little tighter.

It does go in though and does collect some dirt, so at least it works halfway.
    Sorry to hear that man. Are you saying it goes in, but you're unable to get it to roll underneath the trackball? Once you get it in the mouth of the trackball opening, begin to scroll the trackball. I never tried loose leaf paper, but I don't know if that makes a difference. Do you have any printing paper?
    02-17-10 10:06 PM
    Sorry to hear that man. Are you saying it goes in, but you're unable to get it to roll underneath the trackball? Once you get it in the mouth of the trackball opening, begin to scroll the trackball. I never tried loose leaf paper, but I don't know if that makes a difference. Do you have any printing paper?
    Yeah it goes in but I can not get it to go through after scrolling. Maybe the loose leaf paper is too thin. I will go for some printing paper.

Thanks!

Tried printing paper and still a no go. It goes in about a 1/2 inch but then does not want to scroll through to the other side. No worries as it still cleans it pretty good. It beats going to my Sprint store to get a replacement phone.
    Last edited by kostnkost; 02-17-10 at 10:19 PM.
    02-17-10 10:08 PM
    works good, thanks!!
    02-17-10 10:23 PM
    Several weeks ago (months?) I mentioned a method for cleaning your BlackBerry Tour 9630 trackball that I came up with using a paper strip. I said I'd be doing a video soon, but I failed to do so. I apologize. Well, I just completed a quick little tutorial demonstrating this method and if you use it you should see your trackball working good as new again!

To view this video follow the link below. Thanks! Please post back here or on YouTube and let me know if you found this method helpful. Doing so will encourage me to create more cool little vids. God bless!

Search keywords: rim blackberry tour 9630 clean trackball paper trick method seidio snap case disassemble disassembly
    Great video kingzee and great information. Let me add one small thing that may help: If possible, get printer paper with a very high brightness value, say 85% or higher. Here is why, in order to make paper bright, the manufacturer uses a chemical called Titanium Dioxide. The more TO2 (abbreviation for Titanium Dioxide) in the paper the brighter it appears, in some cases even having a bluish tint. The reason you want TO2 for your little trick of cleaning the trackball is that it acts like a very very fine sandpaper and should help in dislodging any dirt or debris under or on the trackball. It also offers the added benefit of making the paper a little stiffer so it may go under the ball a little easier. Again, great video and thanks so much for sharing.
    02-17-10 10:24 PM
    Just did it. Its tricky you need to press and roll the trackball at the same time to get it started..
    02-17-10 10:47 PM
    Great feedback folks! Awesome! Glad to hear and know people are benefiting!
    02-18-10 12:01 AM
    Hey Kingzee! I have just tried this method & it's GREAT! I use to just cut a piece of a metro card small like you have in your video and I pulled out dirt also, but I wasn't able to go all the way around like you could with the paper. Thanks a lot for this!
    02-18-10 12:53 AM
    very amazing trick you have here. Gonna try it on my trackball.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 04:09 AM
    thanks man! You saved me from ordering a new phone!! My trackball was getting like it was sinking into the phone but after this....smooth as glass!! works like new My husband thanks yoiu as well lol he says i go thru phone like toilet paper ...whatever i just have bad luck....but yea great job!!
    02-18-10 08:07 AM
    worked great for me! printing paper didnt work so i tried loose leaf and it worked great!
    02-18-10 09:38 AM
    Thanks for making that video. Never would have thought to try a strip of paper. Nice work!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 10:03 AM
    Just tried it and all this gunk came out of the trackball! Awesome technique--thanks!!

02-18-10 10:26 AM
    Awesome y'all! Wish I would've done it on time like I said! LOL! Thanks for posting back@
    02-18-10 10:36 AM
    Great Idea King Thanx
    02-18-10 10:51 AM
    I started to try this, then got nervous that a little piece was breaking off and getting stuck under. I carefully removed the paper and I think it all came out.

I do think I got one little bit of stuff out, so I guess it works.

But be careful. I guess this should only be used by folks who have so much gunk under their trackball that it won't move at all.....
    02-18-10 11:00 AM
    I started to try this, then got nervous that a little piece was breaking off and getting stuck under. I carefully removed the paper and I think it all came out.

I do think I got one little bit of stuff out, so I guess it works.

But be careful. I guess this should only be used by folks who have so much gunk under their trackball that it won't move at all.....
    Anyone with any abnormality should try this. It's not difficult at all. Nor is it dangerous. Just make sure you pay attention to what you're doing and you should be fine.
    02-18-10 11:07 AM
    Thanks dude for the video!

EDIT: just tried it and wow, there was some grit up in there! It really made a difference getting those grits out!
    Last edited by dimm0k; 02-18-10 at 12:28 PM.
    02-18-10 11:56 AM
    Thanks dude for the video!

EDIT: just tried it and wow, there was some grit up in there! It really made a difference getting those grits out!
    Awesome man! Glad to hear that!
    02-18-10 02:06 PM
    First off great idea.
    What I didn't like is when you starting rolling paper through it frays leaving grinded paper under underneath which explains some of that gunk.
    I cut a slightly tacky strip of plastic off cigarette pack & used that.

Oh I quite smoking a couples months ago lol..empty packs left over.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 02-18-10 at 02:13 PM.
    02-18-10 02:09 PM
    First off great idea.
    What I didn't like is when you starting rolling paper through it frays leaving grinded paper under underneath which explains some of that gunk.
    I cut a slightly tacky strip of plastic off cigarette pack & used that.

Oh I quite smoking a couples months ago lol..empty packs left over.
    Whatever works for you. Plastic isn't as grainy as paper though, causing enough friction, but I'm it can work. But this is why I say to be careful in the video so that paper doesn't get stuck underneath. If done right you shouldn't have any problems.
    02-18-10 02:21 PM
    Whatever works for you. Plastic isn't as grainy as paper though, causing enough friction, but I'm it can work. But this is why I say to be careful in the video so that paper doesn't get stuck underneath. If done right you shouldn't have any problems.
    True ,plastic does lack friction.
    I put soap on it then pulled through paper towel really well so it would tack up.
    Paper does remove gunk but leaves left overs.
    When paper runs though side edges grind along rollers leaving residue so I found when using old track ball out of device.
    02-18-10 02:33 PM
    True ,plastic does lack friction.
    I put soap on it then pulled through paper towel really well so it would tack up.
    Paper does remove gunk but leaves left overs.
    When paper runs though side edges grind along rollers leaving residue so I found when using old track ball out of device.
    It all depends really. I use a slim enough piece when doing it and it has always come out whole, no fraying. Like I said, be careful and all should work out. Using soap could have a more negative effect because it could dry up and form a paste somewhat. But... whatever works.
    02-18-10 02:44 PM
93 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD