$80? LOL

That's ridiculous.
    10-09-09 06:02 PM
    will Garmin Mobile work with a Verizon Wireless Tour or does Verizon block the GPS use on this phone?

btw.. anybody know if TomTom is coming out with something similar for blackberry's?

Verizon does not block the GPS on the tour.
    10-09-09 06:41 PM
    I use telenav on my Sprint Tour and it's worked flawlessly.

Is the Garmin app simply another navigation software?
    10-09-09 06:44 PM
    Unfortunately those links for the trail have been taken down.

UPDATED LINK: Garmin Mobile: Built for BlackBerry
    Last edited by danmcq; 10-17-09 at 01:26 PM.
    10-17-09 01:20 PM
    The only thing I really dont like about Garmin is that some of the info displayed on the navi screen is worthless. What time I will arrive and what speed I am going are simply wasted space for me. I would much prefer what road I am currently on and total distance to destination.
    You are too kind. I would put it another way. This company Garmin, has the gall to charge $80.00 for a gps app that doesn't even tell you how many miles you are from your destination OR even what road you are currently on!

I tried it and like the way it integrates with the BB address book. I have a couple hundred business entries that I drive to regularly in three states. When I found they didn't include this vital info I was dumbfounded.

I can't believe anyone would pay a dime for this. It would be like buying a bathroom scale that didn't tell you how much you weighed.

"Are we there yet?"
    "I have no idea."
    "What street are we on?"
    "Your guess is as good as mine".

"Garmin. Wherever you go, there you are".

Last edited by galavanter; 02-11-10 at 05:07 AM.
    02-11-10 05:01 AM
    The Garmin APP doesnt even let you know what your your currently on??? lol what kind of GPS Naviagor is that?? lol I find that pretty funny!
    02-11-10 05:14 AM
    i have both Garmin Mobile and VZ Navigator. VZ Navigator is the better GPS app by far.

As stated above Garmin doesn't display miles to destination, hours/minutes til arrival nor what road you're currently on.

It show MPH which is useless. i have a speedometer in my car. This feature would be ok if i still have my VW Bus with a broken speedo...

Garmin displays time of arrival. That is useless unless i back into my phone menu and check the time. Notice on the GM screen it says i'll arrive at 4:17 PM. Ok, but how many days later? The arrival info GM is displaying isn't useful on multiday trips.

To navigate to an address within BlackBerry contacts, you have to go through a two step process.
    VZ Nav is integrated into BlackBerry contact list.

Within the list of Favorites on Garmin, there is no way to jump to a Favorite by pressing a letter. You have to scroll through the entire list. That's silly. With VZ Nav, you open favorites, hit S and Subways will show.

Garmin Mobile doesn't display next step while navigating.

People think Garmin is so much better to buy than VZ Nav because it's a one time fee. Well, it's $100 and stays with your phone. How many people keep their phone for 2-3 years? Not many. So essentially GM is $100/year and VZ Nav is $120.

Garmin has a bit of work to do on their app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-10 05:39 AM
    Those that are impressed with the Garmin Mobile UI and features have obviously never tired VZ Nav or their carriers GPS app. It's cheesy at best.

Here is an example. Both are navigating to the same address from the same starting point. i just hit Navigate and find address from my contacts. GM took an extra step to get started FYI.

Garmin Mobile

VZ Navigator

BIG difference to me.

02-11-10 05:55 AM
    ^^Very VERY good information Chrisy! Makes me Love my Verizon VZ Naviagor that much more after seeing the differences!
    02-11-10 06:28 AM
    Having used Garmin devices their interface may work for a dedicated GPS but a phone display is a different animal. A friend has bought GM for the Storm and he loves it.
    02-11-10 10:47 AM
    Here's an example of the Favorites list from both apps.

Garmin Mobile

VZ Navigator

i tend to have a lot of favorites saved. So to scroll through the entire list on GM takes forever. They need to add a jump to feature.

02-11-10 12:42 PM
    How does this stack up against BB maps or VZ navigator? I'm thinking about buying it. Does BB have any plans of having the gps follow you and talking to you on their BB maps in the future? If so I'll wait it out.

How much memory does this take? Does it slow your phone while running?
    02-11-10 01:08 PM
    Read my comparisons of VZ Navigator and Garmin above. VZ Navigator is by far a better GPS application.

BlackBerry Maps does not offer audible turn by turn direction. Both Garmin Mobile and VZ Navigator do.

GM and VZ Nav do not cause lag on my Tour when running. Neither does running BlackBerry Maps.

It really depends what features are important to you, how often you'll use GPS, what you are willing to pay.

02-11-10 01:22 PM
    long story short.. no Navigator can compete with VZ Navigator as Chrisy pointed out above how well VZ Navigator is put together.
    02-11-10 02:09 PM
    Okay, well I just now got Vz navigator. I like it. I hate knowing I have to pay 9.99 a month though. especially because when I had the droid I was able to use google navigation for free and it was cooler and looked better than this vz nagivator. But this VZ navigator is still a lot better than just using google maps or using the stupid BB maps.

I don't understand how RIM thinks you're supposed to drive while using the gps on bb maps. It doesn't follow you most of the time and you have to scroll to find that little dot where you are with the trackball. And that's hard to do while driving.

I tested the vz navigator and went to starbucks a few minutes ago.

The vz navigator isn't as fast as the droids navigation. Basically I'd be at the road I had to turn at and it didn't even show me as there yet. It showed me a little bit behind on the gps. So I had to sit there and wait for it to catch up. But it still wasn't too bad. But it's no google navigation! And 9.99 is expensive for that.

But I just moved to a big city and I don't know the area so I require gps and I simply can't drive with bb maps. Thats one thing I miss about the droid, that google navigation on that BIG screen. it looked like a real gps.
    02-11-10 03:09 PM
    People think Garmin is so much better to buy than VZ Nav because it's a one time fee. Well, it's $100 and stays with your phone. How many people keep their phone for 2-3 years? Not many. So essentially GM is $100/year and VZ Nav is $120.

Shouldn't that say GM is $100 and VZ Nav is $120/year?

I bought GM on sale for $80 versus $240 (Assuming a 2 year contract) and love it but you make some great points in VZ Nav's favor.
    Last edited by tturner23; 02-11-10 at 07:15 PM.
    02-11-10 07:10 PM
    It depends how often you use GPS Nav, and what features are important to you. Also, how long you keep your phone. i upgrade every year, so VZ Nav is $20 more a year. Well worth it.

There's a huge list of cons for Garmin Mobile. The only one i have for VZ Nav is subscription. But even that isn't really a con totally. Since i upgrade every year...or for those that only use GPS Nav a few weeks at a time for trips. You can subscribe to VZ Nav and cancel after two weeks, thus getting a pro-rated price. GM doesn't have that option.

Garmin Mobile Cons

Cons:
    *Does not display miles to destination
    *Does not display time to destination
    *Does not display current road
    *Doesn not display next step
    *Does not integrate with BlackBerry Calender
    *No way to repeat audible direction
    *Cannot share locations, addresses, directions
    *Does not offer detours around traffic
    *Cannot transfer to new device
    *No Jump To in Favorites
    *No Trip Summery Option
    *No Trip Preview (Plan Trip) option
    * Does not display GPS Coordinates
    *Must exit app to view Trip List

As the app is now i wouldn't pay more than $20 for it. If compared to BlackBerry Map, Google Maps or Poynt then i'd go for GM for the audible turn by turn feature. But not compared to any of the carriers GPS apps.

02-13-10 06:14 AM
    kinda makes me wonder why anyone would want GM on there phone... your going to pay more in the long run for GM then VZ Navigator and with VZ Nav, you get a lot more features that operate with the phone for less money.
    02-13-10 07:22 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD