I just got a used Tour, and I'm a little concerned about what to do if it develops the trackball issues. Since the problem is obviously a manufacturer's defect it seems like RIM would at least address it. I doubt Sprint would care since it is used.
    10-16-09 08:43 AM
    I would write to RIM and ask them, the best suited answer your question.

I am sure there is contact us link as Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com
    10-16-09 08:55 AM
    If its still under a year old, which of course all tours still are, then it should still have the 1 year warranty regardless if its used or not. Just whenever you bring it in to spint don't mention that its used unless asked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-09 09:03 AM
    Absolutely do not say anything about it being used. Just act like you had it all the time.
    10-16-09 09:06 AM
    Got it. Thanks guys. Hopefully I won't actually have to deal with it, anyways. BTW, when did the Tour officially release on Sprint?
    10-16-09 09:43 AM
    July 12th I do believe

10-16-09 11:07 AM
    I called up VZW just on Tuesday to get my Tour replaced, and they knew i hadn't bought mine from retail. Policy is, if the device switches owners, the manufacturers warranty DOES NOT follow. So, it cost me $50 to get a working BlackBerry (a price im more than willing to pay since i got the phone for 50 bucks).

Maybe Sprint's different. I don't know. Call em up, ask for one, and they will know right away if youre able to with the warranty. They know where you get the phones. They keep records of absolutely everything.
    10-16-09 11:29 AM
    Does anybody elses tour get pretty warm on the back while surfing the web, or using it for a bit. My old curve never got this warm

10-16-09 02:34 PM
    <30 days = brand new device
    >30 days and < 1 year = refurb device

This is a RIM, not carrier warranty.
    10-16-09 03:42 PM
    Does anybody elses tour get pretty warm on the back while surfing the web, or using it for a bit. My old curve never got this warm

Yes and my old storm* did also, no big deal its just like your pc heating up after long heavy use.

Last edited by J_lacolla; 10-16-09 at 03:50 PM.
    10-16-09 03:48 PM
    Would it be fair to say that there is only a slim chance you would get one of the "green dot" Tours if you bought the phone the week of release day, being that you wouldn't get a new Tour, but a refurb one? It doesn't seem like RIM has changed the hardware of the refurbs like they did to the newer manufactured Tours.
    10-16-09 04:20 PM
    You know, after reading the below RIM warranty, and giving this a lot of thought, it seems to me that if one were to have a defective device, it should be replaced with a new device (not a refurbished one) within the first year of purchase. Devices that are not covered by warranty can/should be replaced by refurbished devices. This (30) day thing that Service Providers keep throwing in your face as justification for replacing your [defective] device with a refurbished one is nonsense. That is a 'customer satisfaction' guarantee, which has nothing to do with a manufacturer's warranty. If you buy a car (or any product) and it proves to be defective, does the dealer give you a reconditioned car, or do they repair it? If the defective product can't be repaired, then you get a new product.

Limited Warranty

"The BlackBerry Handheld, the BlackBerry Cradle, and any other RIM hardware accessories, excluding external batteries and SIM cards, which are provided to YOU concurrently and in conjunction with the BlackBerry Handheld specifically for use with YOUR particular model of BlackBerry Handheld (which together comprise the BlackBerry Hardware), will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is the shorter of (i) one (1) year from the date that the new BlackBerry Handheld was first purchased by YOU as an original end-user (�YOU�) and (ii) the period ending upon YOUR breach of the BlackBerry End-User/Software License Agreement (the �License Agreement�) entered into between YOU and Research In Motion Limited and/OR its affiliated group of companies� (�RIM�) in connection with the BlackBerry Solution (the �Warranty Period�). This Limited Warranty is not transferable. During the Warranty Period, the BlackBerry Hardware, or one or more of the BlackBerry Hardware components, will be repaired or replaced at RIM�s option, without charge to YOU for either parts or labor. If the BlackBerry Hardware (or component thereof) is repaired or replaced during the Warranty Period, the Warranty Period will expire, upon the later of the 91st day after repair or replacement or one year from the date of original purchase. Based on an agreement between RIM and the RIM Solution Provider (defined below), this Limited Warranty for the Warranty Period shall be honored by either RIM or the RIM Solution Provider. This Limited Warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear or if any component of the BlackBerry hardware is opened or repaired by someone not authorized by RIM, and does not cover repair or replacement of any BlackBerry Hardware damaged by: misuse, moisture or liquids, proximity or exposure to heat, accident, abuse, neglect, misapplication, or defects due to repairs or modifications made by anyone other than RIM. This Limited Warranty does not cover physical damage to the surface of the BlackBerry Hardware, including cracks or scratches on the LCD screen. This Limited Warranty does not apply to any equipment other than the BlackBerry Hardware as defined in this Limited Warranty - for example, it does not apply to any external battery or SIM Card provided with YOUR purchase, rental, lease or other means of acquiring the BlackBerry Hardware, or any damage caused by the leakage or any other malfunction of an external battery, SIM Card, or any other accessory or peripheral equipment. This Limited Warranty also does not apply if the malfunction results from the use of the BlackBerry Hardware in conjunction with accessories, products, services or ancillary or peripheral equipment not expressly approved or provided by RIM specifically for use with YOUR particular model of BlackBerry Handheld, and where it is determined by RIM that such malfunction is not the fault of the BlackBerry Hardware itself. Additionally, if malfunction results from the failure of the user to abide by the Safety Information contained in the package with the BlackBerry Solution comprised of the BlackBerry Hardware, the BlackBerry Desktop Software, and the associated wireless data service and documentation (the �BlackBerry Solution�), the Limited Warranty may be void, and if it is not void, it shall not apply. Data backup is presumed to be the responsibility of the user of the BlackBerry Hardware. Neither RIM nor the reseller or distributor through whom YOU purchased the BlackBerry Solution (the �RIM Solution Provider�) is responsible for data that may be damaged or lost at any time, including, without limitation data lost or damaged during the servicing of the BlackBerry Hardware, or through the use of synchronization software. As the BlackBerry Solution is provided in conjunction with certain wireless data services provided by third party providers, we cannot guarantee or warrant that YOUR wireless data service will always be available or will always function properly. For this and other reasons, the BlackBerry Solution should not be relied upon for the transmission of data relating to emergency or life-threatening or mission critical situations, and RIM disclaims any liability on its behalf, on behalf of the RIM Solution Provider, and on behalf of the third party provider of YOUR airtime service for events or damages resulting from such reliance or the failure of the wireless data service to perform or to be available for YOUR use of the BlackBerry Solution, including, without limitation, the lack of service coverage in the area in which YOU wish to use the BlackBerry Solution. RIM will not be responsible for any warranties or guaranties provided by the RIM Solution Provider or any other party.

Any repair or replacement pursuant to this limited warranty could be requested by You from the RIM Solution Provider.

REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF THE BLACKBERRY HARDWARE, AS PROVIDED HEREIN, IS THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY PROVIDED TO YOU. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED AND EXCEPT AS SET OUT HEREIN ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, ENDORSEMENTS AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT AND ANY IMPLIED REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF FITNESS FOR A PURPOSE, MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, DURABILITY, OR ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE ARE HEREBY EXCLUDED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR QUALITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE OR PURPOSE AND/OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF NON- INFRINGEMENT. NEITHER RIM NOR ANY RIM SOLUTION PROVIDER SHALL IN ANY WAY BE LIABLE TO YOU AND YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY INDIRECT, ECONOMIC, SPECIAL, COMMERCIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS REVENUE OR EARNINGS, LOST DATA, DAMAGES CAUSED BY DELAYS OR A FAILURE TO REALIZE EXPECTED SAVINGS AND THE LIKE AND PERSONAL INJURY OR WRONGFUL DEATH DAMAGES) ARISING FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE BLACKBERRY HARDWARE, EVEN IF RIM OR A RIM SOLUTION PROVIDER ARE AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THIS LIMITATION IS INTENDED TO APPLY AND DOES APPLY WITHOUT REGARD TO WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARE CLAIMED, ASSERTED OR BROUGHT IN AN ACTION OR CLAIM SOUNDING IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR CONTRACT, OR UNDER WARRANTY, OR UNDER ANY OTHER LAW OR FORM OF ACTION. ANY EXTERNAL BATTERIES PROVIDED WITH THE BLACKBERRY HARDWARE ARE PROVIDED �AS IS� OR ARE SUBJECT TO THE LIMITED WARRANTY SPECIFICALLY APPLICABLE TO SUCH BATTERIES, IF ANY, AND ANY SIM CARDS PROVIDED WITH THE BLACKBERRY HARDWARE ARE PROVIDED AS IS, AND NEITHER EXTERNAL BATTERIES NOR SIM CARDS ARE, FOR PURPOSES OF THIS WARRANTY, PART OF THE BLACKBERRY HARDWARE. YOU ASSUME THE RISK OF USING ANY ACCESSORY NOT PROVIDED AS PART OF THE BLACKBERRY SOLUTION. IN NO EVENT SHALL RIM'S LIABILITY TO YOU OR TO ANY THIRD PARTY CLAIMING THROUGH YOU OR ON YOUR BEHALF EXCEED THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE BLACKBERRY HARDWARE YOU PURCHASED OR THE COST OF REPAIRING OR REPLACING THE BLACKBERRY HARDWARE, WHICHEVER IS GREATER. THE LIMITED WARRANTY WITH RESPECT TO THE BLACKBERRY DESKTOP SOFTWARE, TO ALL DOCUMENTATION AND TO ANY FIRMWARE RESIDING ON THE BLACKBERRY HARDWARE IS SET FORTH IN THE LICENSE AGREEMENT.

Handheld Limited Warranty (United States) 022403 (English) (North America Version 022403) cl.doc2

Waiver by RIM of any default will not be deemed a continuing waiver of such default or a waiver of any other default. If YOU reside in Canada this Limited Warranty is to be construed under the laws of the Province of Ontario. Otherwise, this Limited Warranty is to be construed under the laws of the State of New York, excluding any body of law governing conflicts of law. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods is hereby excluded in its entirety from application to this Limited Warranty. Any disagreement or dispute arising out of or relating to this Limited Warranty shall be settled by final and binding arbitration to be conducted in Ontario, Canada by a single arbitrator in accordance with theCommercial Rules of the American Arbitration Association. No dispute between the parties, or involving any person but YOU, may be joined or combined together, without the prior written consent of RIM.

If a provision of this Limited Warranty is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such invalidity or unenforceability shall not invalidate or render unenforceable the entire Limited Warranty, but rather (unless a failure of consideration would result therefrom) the Limited Warranty shall be construed as if not containing the particular invalid or unenforceable provision or provisions, and the rights and obligations of each party shall be construed and enforced accordingly.

It is the express will of the parties that this Limited Warranty and any and all related documents be drawn up in English. C�est la volont� expresse des parties que la pr�sente convention ainsi que les documents qui s�y rattachent soient r�dig�s en anglais.

If there is any inconsistency between this Limited Warranty and any warranty included in the packaging of the BlackBerry Hardware, the provisions of this Limited Warranty shall apply to the extent of such inconsistency."
    10-16-09 04:40 PM
    Slim chance of getting a Green Dot the first week since technically it was RIMs acknowledgement of hardware defects in the battery door and trackball mainly. I got mine on July 12th from the Red Devil and im on my first one. Saw the video on good vs bad trackball and determined I got lucky.
    10-16-09 04:52 PM
    What are "green dots?"
    10-16-09 05:23 PM
    Green Dots are put on BBerry boxes on refurb models 2nd round of hardware typically used for replacements but some people have been getting them when ordering a new Tour online.
    10-16-09 05:43 PM
    When the new Tour with the trackpad and WiFi comes out, is there any chance they'd replace your phone with one of those if you're having trouble with your trackball?
    10-16-09 06:50 PM
    Verizon loves their money too much, I know people who are on their 5th 1st generation storm who just want a Curve 8330 that works and the best verizon will do for them is let him pay retail. Something for nothing is not their style. Granted if you are a Big V VIP you get away with a bit more. I gave him one of my old curves just to keep him quiet.
    10-16-09 07:17 PM
    So basically if I encounter an issue I only have to take my phone to Sprint, and they should honor RIM's warranty?
    10-18-09 04:49 PM
    So basically if I encounter an issue I only have to take my phone to Sprint, and they should honor RIM's warranty?
    It won't be free since you don't have insurance.
    10-18-09 05:34 PM
    It won't be free since you don't have insurance.
    But it isn't a fault of mine. Insurance is for accidents, not manufacturing defects.
    10-18-09 05:45 PM
    But it isn't a fault of mine. Insurance is for accidents, not manufacturing defects.
    You are 100% wrong. Try reading the fine print.
    10-18-09 07:59 PM
    Sprint's or RIM's?
    10-18-09 08:38 PM
    Since you didn't get the BB through, you would need to go through RIM. Insurance and Warranty are 2 different things. Warranty should cover the replacement, but it will be a refurb, most likely.
    10-18-09 08:56 PM
    If you don't mind, please paraphrase the fine print for us. I think the issues are becoming a little skewed.
    10-18-09 11:14 PM
    If you don't mind, please paraphrase the fine print for us. I think the issues are becoming a little skewed.
    This, please.
    10-19-09 10:32 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD