I read several threads recently whereby persons are complaining about contact alerts mysteriously appearing or their sounds changing for no apparent reason. I was unable to locate the specific threads, so I thought I'd cite my findings by starting anew.

I recently upgraded to .57 and since, I've noticed that when you create a contact you don't have the option to create a custom alert for said contact within their specific 'edit' field. However, after you've established the contact and you find it necessary to edit their information, when you go into their edit screen, you will see a 'Custom Ring Tones/Alerts' field underneath their demographic data. Within that custom ringtone field, there are default settings for Phone and Messages. The Phone's default sound is 'Ringer_ClassicPhone' and Volume, LED and Vibration is set to 'Active'. The Messages' default sound is BBPro_Sanguine with the Volume, LED, Vibration and Notify set to 'Active (times 3) and 'No'. Now, the catch is when you edit a contact's information, if you ignore the Custom Ring Tones/Alerts field, upon completion of your editing - when you hit 'Save' - you are saving the aforementioned default settings; thereby, creating a custom alert for that contact - and making you think you're crazy (or your phone's possessed) when that person calls or sends you messages. You then have to go into your Set Contact Alerts and delete that contact's profile that you didn't want in the first place.

Hope this solves a few mysteries; although, it probably won't prevent a Tour from being stuffed in a blender.
    Last edited by RegE; 10-20-09 at 10:34 PM.
    10-20-09 09:53 PM
    lol yer a riot
    10-20-09 10:07 PM
    Glad to know this! I was wondering WTH was going on!!!
    10-21-09 10:03 AM
    Thanks for the useful posts and good information. That was driving me crazy!!!

Is there any known fix to this problem yet??? (Other than changing OS versions)
    10-29-09 04:35 PM
    Is there any known fix to this problem yet??? (Other than changing OS versions)
    No known fix as of yet ...just patiently awaiting the official 5.0.
    10-29-09 06:08 PM
    No known fix as of yet ...just patiently awaiting the official 5.0.
    That's what I figured

Thanks again for the good and helpful information!!!
    10-29-09 06:56 PM
    That helps A LOT.... I was wondering what was going on. Thanks!
    11-04-09 09:21 AM
    very frustrating. 5.0 leak doesn't resolve the issue either
    12-01-09 10:22 AM
    My phone was midair on its way to the blender. One more Tour still alive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 03:48 PM
    The Tour deserves gourmet treatment - please, cuisinart only!

I have sent myself this instruction so it is saved in a Memo on the Tour.
    12-01-09 04:29 PM
    i just stumbled upon this bug. it was pissing me off for a good hour trying to figure out what the **** was going on.
    12-02-09 03:48 PM
    OK I understand all of that. But can you answer why it is that if I have a sms notifier set, for all that it will sound. However anyone who I set a custom ringtone for, and a sms notifier, when ever the phone is in the holster, I do not hear the notifier, the only way I know I recieved a sms is if I am close enough to hear it vibrate. That is what is going to make me throw this in a blender. Long story short, if I don't fool with a contacts info, I will hear a sms while the phone is in the holster, if I have set a custom ringtone for a contact I wont hear sms while in holster. Any help or opinions on this appreciated thanks.
    12-04-09 09:35 AM
    Hey all, I came looking for answers and the most recent post im also having this same issue. I work for Verizon, which makes it even more ironic. I've checked with techs here nobody has been able to find a solution.

I have 1 custom ringtone that I downloaded and when I have my phone in the tour case that it came with the sms/mms notifier will not go off, unless its out of the case. I have changed multiple settings,deleted the contact and readded and still no resolution. My guess is that its a software glitch that hopefully will be fixed. If anyone has run into this problem and found a way to correct it please let me know and the previous poster(s) as this would be great.
    12-04-09 02:00 PM
    What I don't get is that people on here have said to delete the "contact alerts" that randomly show up.

When I do that, all my contacts default back to the classic ringer again, and that's what rings even when I have the "ring tones/alerts>phone>ring tone>" setting on another ringer completely.

So the only fix I've found of is just to update every contact you want to have a specific ringer, and then have those contact alerts remain in there so that when those people call or text at least I can have the ringer and alert, that I want, set up correctly for those folks.

Am I missing something, is there an easier way? Is there a way to do this without keeping the "contact alerts" in there?

And I've heard some people say that the 5 OS does fix this problem, but I guess not apparently?
    01-23-10 02:01 AM
    OK I understand all of that. But can you answer why it is that if I have a sms notifier set, for all that it will sound. However anyone who I set a custom ringtone for, and a sms notifier, when ever the phone is in the holster, I do not hear the notifier, the only way I know I recieved a sms is if I am close enough to hear it vibrate. That is what is going to make me throw this in a blender. Long story short, if I don't fool with a contacts info, I will hear a sms while the phone is in the holster, if I have set a custom ringtone for a contact I wont hear sms while in holster. Any help or opinions on this appreciated thanks.
    This is my exact problem. Well, it's my GF's problem. She wanted to set up a custom profile for me for ringtone and text. The ringtone works, but the text doesn't. If it is holstered, no sound. Any ideas out there? I tried last night for about an hour and got absolutely nowhere. Thanks CB Nation!
    01-29-10 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD