Honestly like some1 else said the tours fast enough with 3g wifi isnt really needed everywhere i go i got a great connection and its damn fast, but if i did have a 8900 on t mobile of course you would need wifi with how spotty they are. But when it comes to Verizon and Sprint it isent really needed as fast as their 3g is, but that just all my opinion.
    10-01-09 01:08 PM
    Well I've used both phones and I couldn't stand the Bold and was itching for the Tour. I use a lot of apps and I had to be picky with which I could install on the Bold. And I only used the Wifi feature a handful of times (It also just made the Bold's battery drain faster). Anyways, that even meant me paying a huge cancellation fee with AT&T and switching to VZW.

I've owned two Tours, the first had trackball issues. They sent me a Green dot Tour and it works absolutely fine. I personally love VZW because of the instant call connects, better call quality here in DC, and usable everywhere on the Metro.

The Bold has had 20+ OS upgrades since release and each have tweaked the OS more and more. When it first came out, I remember it being much slower and laggy. Give the Tour a little time, and with the release of OS 5.0, it'll shine.

And I've said it once and I'll say it again, a phone's quality is only as good as the quality of the carrier. And for me, VZW and only VZW works.
    10-01-09 01:15 PM
    sure why not.

Connection Type: Wifi
    Avg.Download Speed: 1022.12Kbits/s
    Max.Download Speed: 1288.46Kbits/s

Avg.Upload Speed: 75.32Kbits/s
    Max.Upload Speed: 91.13Kbits/s

On T-Mo (this is on edge since my Bold is unlocked)
    Avg.Download Speed: 102.7Kbits/s
    Max.Download Speed: 151.27Kbits/s

Avg.Upload Speed: 45.33Kbits/s
    Max.Upload Speed: 61.88Kbits/s

edit: Im sitting in the college library right now, with 2 bars and i got decent speeds. ran 3 times, i know for a fact my house has a better Wifi connection that the school that has hundreds if not thousands leeching off of it.
    Last edited by devildrifterX; 10-01-09 at 01:23 PM.
    10-01-09 01:19 PM
    That's not saying much. EDGE is slow. With EVDO, I usually get an Avg. DL of 700-800 and UL of ~400, which compares quite favorably with your WiFi numbers.

sure why not.

10-01-09 01:24 PM
    That's not saying much. EDGE is slow. With EVDO, I usually get an Avg. DL of 700-800 and UL of ~400, which compares quite favorably with your WiFi numbers.
    you literally quoted my posted prolly a minute before i updated it.

I've logged my 8900 before i sold it at about 1600kb at home before i sold it, and that number stays consistent unless me or my roommate are playing 360 to play CoD4.

on EDGE i manage about 190kb on a really good day, but aver is usually about 150kb, which isnt bad considering my Storm on 5 bars couldn't muster over 330KB
    10-01-09 01:30 PM
    The Tour is pretty awesome, I agree. I loved my old Bold too, I think that was a little better than the Tour though. But it ws on at and t so that brought it down for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-09 01:44 PM
    If you search the Tour OS 5.0 thread people have been reporting upwards of 1200+ with the speed test. So I think the "wifi is faster" notion is not really true. Wifi only holds a lead in very narrow conditions, one of them being you have be able to connect to a hotspot.
    10-01-09 02:12 PM
    You seem to forget the obvious: although VZW network is great, they are NOT everywhere. The advantage to wifi is the ability to use you internet in an office that has wifi, but no VZW service. That is the main thing. Speed is irrelevant when you have no signal to use.
    10-01-09 04:44 PM
    You are absolutely correct, however in most major metropolitan areas, that is usually not the case. I do live near a big city and frequently travel within a 1000 mile radius. wifi does not help me one iota. I need good network coverage.

For those who have their job in a library with wifi...bless you.
    10-01-09 05:10 PM
    sure why not.

edit: Im sitting in the college library right now, with 2 bars and i got decent speeds. ran 3 times, i know for a fact my house has a better Wifi connection that the school that has hundreds if not thousands leeching off of it.
    Downloaded and installed speedtest:
    Max download speed: 12652
    Avg download speed: 3380

Max and Avg upload speed: 116

I'll try it from home later on, where there is not a very good signal.
    Last edited by i7guy; 10-02-09 at 08:30 AM.
    10-02-09 08:27 AM
    Speedtest of Verizon EVDO in CT:

Download: 972 (981 max)
    Upload: 84 (93 max)
    10-02-09 09:52 AM
    ugh been busy all day yesterday and this thread didnt update at all with notifications like it should have.

Connection Type: Wifi at Home on Xbox Live as well (read, not the best it can be)
    Avg.Download Speed: 1727.56Kbits/s
    Max.Download Speed: 1988.37Kbits/s

Avg.Upload Speed: 113.07Kbits/s
    Max.Upload Speed: 152.1Kbits/s

On Edge with 4-5 bars im at 189.51Kbits/s which isnt shabby and is more than half of what i was getting on my Storm on VZW. If i had AT&T this would most likely be a landslide in my favor, which boasts faster speeds and wifi on their devices. On OS 5.0.0.238
    10-02-09 10:55 AM
    I'm with you. How does wifi help on public ground transportation? How many people on the go actually can say they have wifi on every square inch of their travels. How many people actually have wifi hotspots at work. Most large corporations won't allow it, due to inherent security risks.

I'd rather have the network and good EVDO speeds. Yes, wifi is an option I would like to have, but it only is a limited option for me.
    Lots of airlines offer Wifi option now. I can take advantage of it with my (jailbroken) iPhone, but with my Tour I'd be SOL.
    10-02-09 01:43 PM
    Lots of airlines offer Wifi option now. I can take advantage of it with my (jailbroken) iPhone, but with my Tour I'd be SOL.
    Laptop and Skype on airplanes. Better than using phone anyway.

10-02-09 02:23 PM
    I messed with it at the Sprint store yesterday and it seemed like a solid phone, but form factor is what does it for me and i hated the keyboard.

10-02-09 02:38 PM
    I messed with it at the Sprint store yesterday and it seemed like a solid phone, but form factor is what does it for me and i hated the keyboard.

10-02-09 02:39 PM
    this is my first blackberry and i love it so much..being that this is my first blackberry i cant really say it is the best one
    10-02-09 03:40 PM
    The BLACKBERRY Tour is a Beast. I love this phone.

10-02-09 03:53 PM
    The Tour is amazing!! It blows the other CDMA and MOST GSM Blackberrys away! The screen is clear the cam is amazing!
    10-02-09 04:39 PM
    Can you name some domestic routes where the airlines have wifi and your experience with them? I'm interested to know if using the phone via wifi is a theoretical advantage or a real one in a narrow sense.
    Last edited by i7guy; 10-03-09 at 07:45 AM.
    10-03-09 07:40 AM
    I say just take the break for the hour to hours you maybe on plan. The peace that no one can reach you.
    10-03-09 07:42 AM
96 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD