Twitter / The Door: @oODroidBerryOo I'd be mor ...
    @oODroidBerryOo I'd be more impressed if RIM had 5.0 out for the 9630 #Tour. #IWasRobbed #RimFail
    Twitter / DroidBerry: @EdnasUpdate so would we! ...
    @EdnasUpdate so would we! The problem is the 9650 is right around the corner. According to RIM the 5.0 OS's are in the carrier's hands tho
    If this is true what's the freaking hold up?
    They sold me a piece of crap with faulty hardware and OS, are releasing the 9650 6 months later with 5.0 and we still don't have 5.0?
    WTF?
    Do I look like a *****?

Then why are you treating your customers like a ****?
    Last edited by catseyenu; 01-13-10 at 01:39 AM. Reason: added tweets in order for context
    01-13-10 01:29 AM
    First, I belive its pure speculation that the Tour2 will come out next month. Theirs nothing official. Second, would u rather have a bunch of "Official" OS release only to be crap anyways...or hope their not letting those OS become official and pass them by as leaks till something is really solid. Believe, its more frustrating getting all kinds of releases being "official" and be crap then not get anything yet and hope for somethign super solid. For example: the storm1...man that thing had as many leaks as Officials I think...lol..or at least it felt that way..There testing them out and we can just wait. Try the leaks or hybrids...both are great and should keep us content for now.
    01-13-10 01:40 AM
    Once RIM releases it it is official.
    01-13-10 01:44 AM
    First, I belive its pure speculation that the Tour2 will come out next month. Theirs nothing official. Second, would u rather have a bunch of "Official" OS release only to be crap anyways...or hope their not letting those OS become official and pass them by as leaks till something is really solid. Believe, its more frustrating getting all kinds of releases being "official" and be crap then not get anything yet and hope for somethign super solid. For example: the storm1...man that thing had as many leaks as Officials I think...lol..or at least it felt that way..There testing them out and we can just wait. Try the leaks or hybrids...both are great and should keep us content for now.
    CX said the Tour2 will be out next month. That's not speculation IMO. I will be happy to speculate that it will be near the end of next month instead of the feb 3rd date that has been kicked around tho.

I haven't seen Sprint, ATT or Tmobile release OS5 for any of their products either. I guess I was expecting everything to drop quickly once some OS5 devices started appearing, but it looks like its going to be a long process. The carriers aren't going to release them until it can benefit them in some way, or at least until they are sure that releasing won't cause them trouble.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 02:17 AM
    I understand all the speculation around OS 5.0 for VZW and ATT, seeing as how the Tour 2 will be there soon. What I wonder about is the OS 5.0 for US Cell. They are always behind the ball for device releases, so how far behind will they be for updated OS's? I am not "chomping at the bit" for the Tour 2 to land at USCC, I just would like an update for my original Tour as soon as other carriers have it. Is that too much to ask??
    01-13-10 02:27 AM
    I'm guessing the carriers won't release 5.0 until sometime after the Tour2 is released. Reason being they want the fact that it comes with 5.0 to be a selling point.

Catseyenu, you may want to look into anger management classes. Geez! I don't consider the Tour to be a "piece of crap" nor do I think 4.7 is faulty. I do think they needed much better QC as far as the trackballs go though.
    There's no gainsaying the fact that RIM really screwed up with the Tour. I love the phone, but I love it more for what it could be, than for what it has been. Oh, sure, a number of Tour owners have had no trouble with the phone, and everything was smooth sailing, once they bought it. For the vast majority, though, the device is riddled with problems. I am astonished that a reputable company like RIM would marry a faulty OS to an equally malfunctioning hardware. The experience that every Tour owner is having is different. My first Tour had a defective track ball. My friend's Tour had the screen ripple, and a defective trackball. When I replaced my Tour with a brand new one, the premium OEM Blackberry headset that I purchased directly from the Blackberry website would not fit. The audio jack was magically too small, in spite of the mathematically impossible fact that it was also 3.5mm. There are apparently two ways to make a 3.5mm audio jack.

I have 'bricked' my phone 11 times now, all during routine tasks like rebooting, or after downloading an app. People like me who upgraded from the 8830 World Edition with 64MB to the Tour with 256MB were really looking forward to the increase in memory so that we could do more. Those hopes were dashed with the 'outofmemoryerror' and 'verification error' that are all too common when Tour owners try to download apps. This is obviously a systemic issue; I had 96MB of memory left the last time phone showed the 'outofmemory' error. Before I got my Tour, I was your average Blackberry user. I never cared about leaks; I figured I would run the official version whenever my carrier made it available. Because of all the issues I had with OS 4.7, I went from a content newbie to a frenzied Crackberrian. I now have more knowledge about Blackberry phones than the Sprint techs whom I ironically called for help the first time I bricked my phone; they insisted that the only remedy with an 'Error 552' was to replace the phone. Something is seriously wrong when you mass produce a software that is so riddled with errors that customers have to start monkeying around, trying to fix stuff on their own. My demands from my phone have always been fairly simple; I just want it to work as designed. It is awful when average consumers like myself have to run leaked versions of an OS just to get normal use from their phones. I missed a job interview because my phone was bricked when the call came through.

When you average all these issues that Tour owners have encountered, you wonder how a company like that could be so lax in quality control. OS 5.0 is not a luxury or an option, or an upgrade for Tour users. It is a necessity, since the phone does not function normally for most users on that OS. The delay is injurious. I like RIM; I think they have been very innovative. But if Sprint had the iPhone, I definitely would have tried that out by now. This experience has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I've read Kevin's blog, but I am not convinced that it is entirely the service carriers' fault that 5.0 is not in the hands of consumers yet. I read the statement that RIM put out, and it was never explicitly stated. It seems to me that 1) Service carriers would be eager to put 5.0 out because of all the trouble consumers are having. Lest we forget, when the average consumer bricks their phone, they don't come to Crackberry. They go to their service carrier to get it fixed. 2) RIM is not powerless to insist that 5.0 be installed in the new phones. I am in the legal field, and if I had decided to sue anyone about missing my job interview (and therefore, prospective employment), I would have sued both RIM and Sprint. The car industry is a good analogy. If Ford discovers that there is something wrong with the tires on, say the Explorer, for example, it must fix it, usually by doing a massive recall. Telling the dealers to deliver new tires to private consumers would not be enough to obliterate their liability. A consumer who has an accident as a result of the defect can hold both Ford and the dealership jointly and severally liable. In real life, the consumer would usually include the dealership as a mere formality, since Ford has the deeper pockets. The same applies to RIM. In the same way that a wireless upgrade of applications, etc. happens all the time on the Blackberry via the Blackberry App World, so can an update that would fix all the issues that the Tour is having occur. They should insist on it, since it is actually essential for the Tour to function normally. For example, say there is an emergency, but the phone owner is unable to call 911 because the phone was bricked at the time through no fault of the owner's. You can bet that RIM will be involved in the subsequent law suit.

I am left to conclude that RIM must have released 5.0 very late to the Service carriers, or not at all. The delay is more than likely attributable to the techs at these Service carriers making sure that the various versions of 5.0 are compatible with the vendor software that they install on the phones. For example, for the nonce, Sprint TV does not work on .419. Just my two cents....
    Last edited by Barredbard; 01-13-10 at 04:03 AM.
    01-13-10 03:50 AM
    ... you may want to look into bend over and take it classes.
    Fixed your post for you.
    After paying over $300 and signing on for a 2 year contract for a piece of hardware that was faulty out of the gate (including the OS that it shipped with) I believe I have a leg to stand on, unlike your fan-boy support statement.
    01-13-10 04:00 AM
    My Tour works great with the current official OS, I am in no rush for 5.0, when it comes, it comes.
    01-13-10 05:04 AM
    I don't see that much of a difference between 5.0 and 4.7. To me it's just an improved version of 4.7 with a few added features.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 05:05 AM
    Once RIM releases it it is official.
    But the carriers release it to their users. It's not official until your carrier releases it to you.
    01-13-10 05:05 AM
    It's too late/early for me to digest the epic novel you just posted, but I wanted to address this part. When you download an app and get an out of memory or verification error, delete it immediately, and DO NOT RESET/BATTERY PULL under any circumstances until you do or you will get the 552 error. It seems to be an indexing issue-from what I've read 4.7 has a bug that limits how many apps can be installed on it regardless of how much memory is left. My Tour bricked once a few months ago after downloading the garbage that is Viigo. I had backups though and was able to easily reinstall the OS.

Last night I downloaded the Paypal app from App World. Got the verification error. Deleted the app and all was well. Decided not to try again because I really loathe BB App World. I then downloaded an update from UberTwitter. Got the out of memory error. I deleted UberTwitter and another app I seldom used, rebooted and downloaded UberTwitter again. All is well. It can be a bit of a pain juggling apps but it's much easier than dealing with an OS reinstall. (There's a tutorial here in the forums-it's time consuming but not hard) I'm sure 5.0 fixes this bug.

I can honestly say I'm very happy with my Tour though. It's a terrific phone and for the most part has been trouble free.
    Ah, I see. Well, if you'd read the unabridged version of the epic novel, you would understand that I am not contesting that some Tour owners are happy with their device. Like yourself. But you hardly qualify as the average Blackberry user. Most of us here don't. For one thing, you are on Crackberry. Most Blackberry users are not. It means that they are bewildered and upset when their phones come up with 'Error 552' or any of the other errors, of which there are quite a few. I have personally fixed 4 Tours owned by relatives, friends, and friends of relatives who now consider me the Blackberry 'expert.' My sister-in-law was pretty upset with me for talking her into getting the Tour, instead of the Palm Pre that she originally wanted.

I am well aware of the fact that if you delete the malfunctioning app immediately after downloading it, you are less likely to come up with Error 552. In fact, I was one of the few who discovered the connection early and started spreading the information for others to beware. But 2 months after the Tour came out, that was hardly common knowledge, and that was the period during which I bricked my phone the most. Nor is it the only way by which you can get Error 552. Crackberrians are aware of this; the average consumer out there is not. Sprint wasn't even privy to this fact the last time I spoke with them. Not to mention the fact that this effectively cripples the phone; 256MB of memory was one of the reasons I was really excited about the Tour. Now, I find that I cannot go beyond 96MB on my phone of app memory because of the errors. That's why 5.0 is not really a luxury; it is a necessity. Imagine how the average consumer must feel....
    Last edited by Barredbard; 01-13-10 at 06:10 AM.
    01-13-10 06:02 AM
    <<Insert "Do you know how I know you are a paid shill" joke here.>>
    10 characters?
    01-13-10 06:58 AM
    My Tour works great with the current official OS, I am in no rush for 5.0, when it comes, it comes.

I don't see that much of a difference between 5.0 and 4.7. To me it's just an improved version of 4.7 with a few added features.
    coud not agree more. my device has been next to flawless.
    01-13-10 07:40 AM
    my carrier (telefonica Panama, or movistar, same thing) is one of the last to have OS's implementations, i don't know how much it takes for a person to test an OS and say: it works...or it does not work yet. For me, it's a week of use and i'm not being paid for that so i'm just going to use it normally.

Rim should have OS tested and sent out without carriers need, then service books, BES, BIS or anything else should control carrier specific stuff, like theme, wallpapers, programs and so.
    01-13-10 08:41 AM
    Im going to get flamed for this, but Im going to say it anyway...lol...and it is ABSOLUTELY not trashing anyone...but Ive worked in IT, done web development and quite a few other technical functions, plus im self taught from the old dual floppy XT days...so sorry if anyone is offended.

The simple fact is they make the daily use of computers, phones, any type of technology SEEM all plug and play and add this, do this, do that...add software, go on the internet.

Most people get their computer of phone, plug it in, and bingo! They're off and running. Then they add software, they download apps, they go on the internet, and the basic person believes that the computer will perform the same way it did from day one. They start getting spam, opening emails, downloading off of sites that contain virus', the pop ups start, the pc or phone starts to slow down from crazy software, from lack of knowledge of how to KEEP the computer or phone running fine.

Its not the users fault...but technology is advertised as if "all you have to do is plug it in and goooooooooooooooo".

Technology is far from perfect, but also most of the problems ive ever seen with computers, or with phones has to do with user error. Not that they're dumb, but they just dont know. Nobody told them about clearing a cache, getting rid of temp files, deleting apps before rebooting, upgrading to new OS', and they don't understand why they should wipe before installing...DM makes it so easy...why would they want to find a loader.exe file...and most think why should they?

Most problems, in a nutshell, are user error. Unintentional User Error! Most of the issues ive seen on here (except for hardware issues) have been rehashed a million times, and quite understandably. They purchased a phone that was supposed to make things easier for them without knowledge of the technology. So a 552 error brings out the "HOLY CRAP" primal scream.

So users, and abusers, remember, in most cases, its probably not the technology, but the person...but be nice to the people who have a problem, and users with problems, don't blame the technology if you've never used it before or know the ins and outs....it'll all be fixed.
    01-13-10 09:14 AM
    Its funny how much people cry over 5.0... bunch of babies in here. If you want 5.0, just download it! 5.0 is not a deal breaker to have on a phone, if you have 5.0 already as I have, the only biggest change is threaded text messages...why are you crying so much to get 5.0? Just download it already and stop the crying
    01-13-10 09:30 AM
    Wow......Really?! It's amazing how much people love to complain.
    01-13-10 09:40 AM
    I completely missed this, CB covered this on the front page over a week ago.

OS 5.0 Update: Official Statement from Research in Motion Regarding Availability of OS 5.0 | CrackBerry.com

Going forward, the forum threads and tweets and emails shouldn't say When is RIM going to make OS 5.0 officially available for my device? but rather When is insert carrier name going to make 5.0 available for insert device name? I know. It's not the update you were maybe hoping to hear, but that's where it's at.
    01-13-10 03:51 PM
    coud not agree more. my device has been next to flawless.
    i'm excited for 5.0, but i can wait. i totally understand people have had issues, but this is my first tour (since 7/09) and it's flawless. the .61 official isn't too bad, and my trackball almost never sticks. overall my phone's not slow at all, compared to the dumbphone i came from. even running .40 i thought this phone was immense. all i need is os5 to ice the cake.
    01-17-10 12:59 AM
    It might be "pure speculation"...but once it hits CellBrite...it's going to drop relatively soon. Next month is looking like the winner...I feel it is no longer speculation.

Tour2 Appears in CellBrite System

Some information for those out there that are awaiting the release of the BlackBerry Tour 2 aka 9650 aka Essex. If you have been holding out for the Tour 2 your waiting may soon be over as rumors abound claim the Tour 2 should be arriving anytime soon now. Be it this month or next, that window of release is there as a rumor.

A often used indicator for this is when devices get loaded into CellBrite. CellBrite can be used as a collaborative POS system, but also has the capability to allow transfer of contacts to and from wireless devices. It's used by quite a few carriers in their stores. This time around though, seeing the Tour 2 loaded up in there and given its source, being that of a Verizon tipster, it's safe to say that this one came from within Verizon. That's all we have for now folks but as the day gets closer we're sure well see some more release information pop up.
    Last edited by RedBank; 01-18-10 at 10:46 AM.
    01-18-10 10:42 AM
    Stop crying, if you want 5.0--------------------INSTALL IT!!!! My god!

OS 5.0.0.419 for the Tour will be released to all carriers sooner or later, in the mean time----F'ing install one of the other carriers. It's not like Sprints version will be any different..........Just delete the vendor.xml file and viola........you have 5.0.......
    02-03-10 10:33 AM
    Stop crying, if you want 5.0--------------------INSTALL IT!!!! My god!

OS 5.0.0.419 for the Tour will be released to all carriers sooner or later, in the mean time----F'ing install one of the other carriers. It's not like Sprints version will be any different..........Just delete the vendor.xml file and viola........you have 5.0.......
    I'm on USCC I've been using the "beta" OS5 pretty much since I got my since I got my 9630 back in November, with little to no issuses on .419 OR .230

I was even using the beta 5.0.0.230 on my old 8330!

Being on USCC we'll probably be one of the LAST carriers to have the "official" OS , Because they 'rigorously' test the software and hardware before releasing it, but but who cares! Delete the vendor file and be done with it!
    02-03-10 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD