Since going from 4.7 OS on my Verizon 9630 Tour to 5.0 OS.

I have noticed wallpapers and images now show up grainy and pixelated.

The images are the same size as the screen resolution and they are PNG high res images..

Once image is shown, they look great. but then a couple times of going back and forth then viewing images again or selecting the image as a wallpaper. It then looks grainy..

What is causing this?

Why did this change?

Even pictures taken from camera look fine. but once viewing through media, they are bad again...

Can't believe no one else is seeing this... If not then what are you doing with your images?

Thanks

* Follow Up *

I went back down to 4.7 and every picture loads fine, add as wallpaper and no view issues..

So it's an issue with 5.0. But why??? What did they change and for what reason.....

But Has this been addressed to RIM?
    04-22-10 12:37 PM
    I think it's within the OS, the way it handles the image. Hopefully now that this thread has been posted more will notice that this is definitley an issue. You had me racking my brain on this one last night...
    04-22-10 12:59 PM
    But I will also add..

Images emailed to another person may show up fine at first. Then they go to crap.. What causes it, I don't know..

Also users posting images on the forums, there posts looks fine, just like on the desktop... Not grainy..

But if I load the same wallpaper on my device it's all screwy.

Ya one **** of a night bro!!!
    04-22-10 01:21 PM
    No other users are seeing this...????

If not please advise what you are seeing or what type of wallpaper or images you are using.
    04-22-10 11:05 PM
    I don't really see any issues with my wallpapers and look really clear. My only issue is after rebooting the phone the wallpaper will reset itself to the default which has never done this before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 01:28 AM
    I don't really see any issues with my wallpapers and look really clear. My only issue is after rebooting the phone the wallpaper will reset itself to the default which has never done this before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Got any sample pictures they you have that are clear? I will load them up and try them on my device.

What Resolution?

PNG or JPG?
    04-23-10 11:42 AM
    I tell ya what though, if I select an image from my SD card, then hit menu >show actual size, the image gets much cleaner when used as a backround...
    04-23-10 11:50 AM
    I've been having the exact same issues, I was wondering the same thing!

What's strange is that it's not every picture, it just seems to be certain ones, and there is nothing to differentiate between them, .gif, .jpeg, doesn't matter, some are fine others are messed up...
    04-23-10 12:01 PM
    Yester, Not seeing this issue. Im using .591 with the patch...I tried to recreate it, but can't see your problem.

Are you able to show a screenshot of the before and after?
    04-23-10 12:03 PM
    I've been having the exact same issues, I was wondering the same thing!

What's strange is that it's not every picture, it just seems to be certain ones, and there is nothing to differentiate between them, .gif, .jpeg, doesn't matter, some are fine others are messed up...
    The Hi-Res images I downloaded show fine, but regular walls look grainy until I hit Menu >Show Actual Size, then they look fine...
    04-23-10 12:20 PM
    The Hi-Res images I downloaded show fine, but regular walls look grainy until I hit Menu >Show Actual Size, then they look fine...

Right but in our testing.....

I had your images and they looked fine, then they changed on me

Very annoying

Just surprised more users are not seeing this
    04-23-10 12:45 PM
    Right but in our testing.....

I had your images and they looked fine, then they changed on me

Very annoying

Just surprised more users are not seeing this
    Correct. I think that many do not notice, cause we're not the only ones this is happening to...
    04-23-10 12:58 PM
    Ok.

Someone post a sample image for us all to use and test.
    04-23-10 01:00 PM
    Since going from 4.7 OS on my Verizon 9630 Tour to 5.0 OS.

I have noticed wallpapers and images now show up grainy and pixelated.

The images are the same size as the screen resolution and they are PNG high res images..

Once image is shown, they look great. but then a couple times of going back and forth then viewing images again or selecting the image as a wallpaper. It then looks grainy..

What is causing this?

Why did this change?

Even pictures taken from camera look fine. but once viewing through media, they are bad again...

Can't believe no one else is seeing this... If not then what are you doing with your images?

Thanks

* Follow Up *

I went back down to 4.7 and every picture loads fine, add as wallpaper and no view issues..

So it's an issue with 5.0. But why??? What did they change and for what reason.....

But Has this been addressed to RIM?
    Ive been having this same issue ever since I installed .419....Once the pic is set as a wallpaper, it shows up clear though which you've noted. I had thought it was just me at 1st also, lol.
    04-23-10 01:01 PM
    It happens when viewing in media also....

But like myself and SD mentioned it seems to clear up once "Fit to Screen" is chosen

Then the wallpaper looks fine. But other going into holster or idle for so many hours not sure. The wallpaper turns to crap..
    04-23-10 01:06 PM
    Yester, Not seeing this issue. Im using .591 with the patch...I tried to recreate it, but can't see your problem.

Are you able to show a screenshot of the before and after?
    Any images emailed or posted on here will show up fine...

That's the weird thing...
    04-23-10 01:24 PM
    No other users are seeing this...????
    I have noticed this as well. This happens on the old .591 OS as well as the recently released and updated .591 OS on my 9630. I noticed almost immediately after updating to the new OS 2 weeks back, but fluffed it off until I saw your thread.

I've gone as far as taking screen captures of it while clearly exhibiting the grainy look, emailing them to myself and reviewing the capture. The capture doesn't even show it, so it's something with how this OS is displaying it on the screen itself.

Very odd.
    04-23-10 01:54 PM
    Here, this Crackberry one is a great example

When I had this and I was running 4.7, the image was clear as can be, but now, if I view it using 5.0, the background greyness is really pixelated, especially at the top of the image. Try it out.
    04-23-10 02:16 PM
    It also happens with pictures I take, I snapped a few photos on my BB last night and they were fine, looking at them today they are as "grainy" as can be...
    04-23-10 02:43 PM
    Yep same issue here as well I can email and post that fine. But on the device it's grainy in the backdrop.....

Here, this Crackberry one is a great example

When I had this and I was running 4.7, the image was clear as can be, but now, if I view it using 5.0, the background greyness is really pixelated, especially at the top of the image. Try it out.
    04-23-10 10:28 PM
    I just noticed the same problem when assigning pictures to contacts. When I call the contact, the assigned picture that comes up on the call screen looks grainy/distorted, but if I view the original picture it looks fine. No solutions yet? Running Sprint's official OS .484
    04-24-10 11:16 AM
    I just noticed the same problem when assigning pictures to contacts. When I call the contact, the assigned picture that comes up on the call screen looks grainy/distorted, but if I view the original picture it looks fine. No solutions yet? Running Sprint's official OS .484
    No solutions as of yet...

but I am on .484 Only way to fix it is to run 4.7 which I have already tested... But back to 5.0 it happens again..
    04-24-10 09:54 PM
    guys, 5.0 does this so you can flip through photos faster. There was lots of lag on 4.7. 5.0 compresses image thumbnails so that there's no lag when flipping through them. Go 1:1 or whatever it is and you'll see it at full res.
    05-04-10 12:28 AM
    This has been a common problem on later OS builds with the 9700 too

The OS periodically creates a .dat file to the media card, probably to speed up viewing, however once it has the pics become pixelated. I've tried to monitor when this happens, but it seems totally random. If the .dat file is deleted the pic loading becomes slightly slower, but there's no pixelation. Unfortunately before you know it, another file has been created and the pics are grainy again. I've renamed and even deleted the folder these files are saved to, but sooner or later a new folder is created with yet another .dat file in it.

An easy fix is to press '1' whilst viewing your pics, which seems to increase the resolution... but then you can't scroll to the next one.

If anyone's interested, the .dat file is located and can be deleted from here...

Files > My Files > Media Card > BlackBerry > (Menu) Show Hidden > system > media > thumbs480x360.dat
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 05-04-10 at 01:19 PM.
    05-04-10 01:16 PM
    This is a pretty good example of the pixelation issue I am experiencing.
    These are unaltered screenshots of the same picture, straight from my phone.

Pic viewed before deletion of the .dat file...

and the same pic viewed after deletion of the .dat file...

05-04-10 01:35 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD