I'm starting work on a new app and wanted some ideas:
    Grocery List!
    02-23-09 01:36 AM
    There was an application I used for winmo called handyshoppr. Spelling is correct, that has all the great functions needed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 01:56 AM
    there is a thread on here asking for a grocery list app...

would be good to be able to have pre-entered items to choose from, as well as add your own.

ability to check off things on the list as you shop.

remove checked items from the list, if you didnt get all of the things on the list on that trip.
    You could have the app categorize parts of the store and the user could post their items needed into these categories.

You could have:

The Meat Dept.
    Health & Beauty
    Pets
    Freezer Section
    Dairy
    Paper Products
    Cleaning
    Deli
    Bakery

etc. etc. This way the shopper could look at what they need for each area of the store. I do this now on paper for my grocery list. It cuts down on the need to walk all over the store a thousand times.

I don't know if this is what you meant by ideas, but there it is anyway. LOL!

Download prices from different stores by comparison.
    Compare brands from prices.
    Download calorie content of menu items.
    Shop by maximum calorie content.
    02-23-09 02:16 AM
    This is where a bar code reader on the Storm would be cool. Scan the bar code on a gallon of milk and it "checks" milk off the list. How cool would that be??
    02-23-09 02:42 AM
    It would be nice to be able to make more than one list. That way you can separate lists that belong to different stores.
    02-23-09 03:08 AM
    Search for maratick - been done before, though I didn't get on with it.

02-23-09 03:12 AM
    Two things, one being Free, and other is just like MaraTick but with a calc added so when you tick an item off it asks price and does them math from quantity and has a running total at the top of the screen. Maybe make this a selectable option for the user to use or have off.
    02-23-09 03:30 AM
    I also like the idea of having preloaded items on there such as milk, eggs, butter, bread, chips, baby formula.................

Make sure it reads the date so you can be sure that you have entered it at that time and have a section where you can check off or line out!
    02-23-09 03:56 AM
    Ok pre loaded items and also there should be like a bank of words so when ur typing in something for food it would autoload option. like apple u could say ap and it should come up w/ a few things
    02-23-09 04:27 AM
    Someone above had mentioned categories for items (Deli, Meat Counter, etc.). I'll add a request for aisle, so that you could sort your list by aisle and work your way through the market in a logical fashion.

The application should support multiple markets/stores, too, so you'll need a way to maintain the store/aisle relationship per item.
    02-23-09 04:38 AM
    Def a way to check off the items and add the price. That way when I add bread to my list it will automatically show up with the last price I entered and if the price changes I will have the ability to go in and edit it to reflect that change.

02-23-09 09:11 AM
    Hmmmm, interesting concept. I'd vote for an aisle option. Wait! How about gps so when I click on "Beans" is shows me a path to them???? I tend to wander around stores aimlessly looking for stuff. LOL
    02-23-09 09:17 AM
    Someone above had mentioned categories for items (Deli, Meat Counter, etc.). I'll add a request for aisle, so that you could sort your list by aisle and work your way through the market in a logical fashion.

The application should support multiple markets/stores, too, so you'll need a way to maintain the store/aisle relationship per item.
    Why not have the application remember the order that you check the items off? Then next time you shop in the same store you sort by the order that you checked them off the last time you were in that store.
    02-23-09 09:28 AM
    Please for the love of god allow it to import via either Excel or Google Spreadsheets. Need to be able to have MY GIRLFRIEND make up the list then I can pull it down online or something... I'd prefer something that would allow me to 'cross items off' as we go along. To elaborate, a lite version of Appetite, I don't really need recipes on my Storm

Essentially, the girlfriend goes on to a website or google docs, inputs the list, the program either (a) checks if a list exists on google docs or (b) import a list from an attachment xls document, then inputs the list in to check list format. We can then go by and click once to cross off, click again to uncross.
    Last edited by GlennFrog; 02-23-09 at 09:35 AM.
    02-23-09 09:29 AM
    Two things, one being Free, and other is just like MaraTick but with a calc added so when you tick an item off it asks price and does them math from quantity and has a running total at the top of the screen. Maybe make this a selectable option for the user to use or have off.
    +1 to having ability to input price and then calculates total price of order before you check out.
    02-23-09 09:29 AM
    EpicDraws-

As someone who has used a grocery list app for years (on Palm devices) I will give you a couple of tips:

1) Look up HandyShopper for the Palm and replicate that application but make it better.

2) Check-out Appetite in the 3rd party software section of this site. There are tons of suggestions in that thread. I suspect that the developer really wanted to make something more than a simple grocery list app but if you read ALL the posts in that thread you will see that 1) the app is cool, 2) most people just want a great grocery list app and not necessarily the other features Appetitie does well, and 3) recommendations that you can leverage to create your app.

3) The app should be damn near free if not free. Not many people want to use a device for their list and those who do certainly do not want to pay a lot for it. In no way am I suggesting your time isn't worth the money but what I am saying is not a lot of people want to pay for a grocery list apps. There are a few like me who really value it and would pay up for something great but I think we are a rare breed.

4) Figure out a way to save the lists in Backup. No one wants to recreate the lists and aisle information after an OS reload.

5) There is gold in having the ability to create a list online and having it sync with the device.

6) Related to #5, if a user can create the list in Word/Excel or some other file creator and then import the list into the device that would solve #5 if the application cannot be supported online.

I paid for Appetitite but certainly not the $10 bucks they wanted for it. I think the app is good but it is lacking on several fronts in its ability to manage grocery lists. Besides, with the OS changing, I cannot spend any more time loading information and having it wiped when I update my OS.

BTW, MaraTick is just not there for the Storm and looks better than HandyShopper but is not as useful.
    02-23-09 09:41 AM
    I bring nothing to the table other than: I can't wait for this!
    02-23-09 09:54 AM
    You guys have a ton of great ideas! I am interested if someone can make a storm-compatible grocery list as well.
    02-23-09 10:51 AM
    I like the idea of what Kangaurex said, however, it should probably be able to be seen all at once. For instance, if a category is "Vegetables", I might have "Canned Carrots" and "Fresh Carrots" in the same category, but they are in completely different parts of the market.

And can I also say, I LOVE that people are building their own apps
    02-23-09 10:58 AM
    And can I also say, I LOVE that people are building their own apps
    I am learning Java right now, but when I start coding, most likely it will be for my own use, at first, as my programs will most likely be rough looking.
    02-23-09 11:03 AM
    I am learning Java right now, but when I start coding, most likely it will be for my own use, at first, as my programs will most likely be rough looking.
    Doesn't matter man, more people doing stuff means more people learning, which means more information is out there, which means more people can do more things......wait, this sounds like a solution to the damaged economy....
    02-23-09 11:05 AM
    Please,
    If anything,
    MAke a free one for me! i would be soooo appreaciative!
    02-23-09 11:12 AM
    seems a lot like a modified Tasks in outlook (which could be used for this as is I'd think)
    02-23-09 11:24 AM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD