I've been debating for a couple of weeks now to see if its worth paying the $15 per month for the actual Verizon Tethered Modem feature for my storm or using tetherberry and paying the one time fee with them. Has anyone used both? Used one or the other? and Does any one have any recommendations.

Keep in mind, I use a PC for work and a Mac for personal use, and would like the phone modem to work on both.

Also I get a 20% discount on My verizon bill because of the company I work for. So $15 feature really around $12.

Thanks for you help!
    04-21-09 11:03 AM
    Well, the Verizon plan is the legitimate way to do it if it matters to you.
    04-21-09 11:06 AM
    I'm not too concerned about the "legit" way to do it. lol however, I was just reading that Verizon and the storm aren't compatible with Macs? Is that true?
    04-21-09 11:12 AM
    Just checking, because sometimes it's hard to tell in threads on here for people who don't already know. The Storm can be synced with Macs via an app called PocketMac, I think, but I'm not sure about TetherBerry/Verizon's app.
    04-21-09 11:26 AM
    i'd advise any level headed user to steer clear of tetherberry. everyone who's posted on here has been caught with it. not to say you will or won't, but its only $15, why risk it and potentially owe $1,842.35?

there is no vzam support for macs. you might be able to create a manual connection. essentially the same thing that vzam software does for you. you would go into your network connections (or whatever its called on a mac, i don't use 'em) and create a new connection and enter in all of the fields. i'd suggest calling vzw tech support and see if it is possible, they'll be able to walk you through it.
    04-21-09 11:47 AM
    I use the verizon service on my PC all the time and it works great...not sure how about the Mac though
    04-21-09 11:49 AM
    you can tether your storm to your mac using bluetooth or usb cable. then go to network and it will walk you through tethering your phone to your mac
    04-21-09 12:33 PM
    you can tether your storm to your mac using bluetooth or usb cable. then go to network and it will walk you through tethering your phone to your mac
    Have you tried this? I did and I got a connection but the only website I could go to was verizons and they were asking me to pay the $15 before I could browse. Can you get around that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 12:40 PM
    I'm not too concerned about the "legit" way to do it. lol however, I was just reading that Verizon and the storm aren't compatible with Macs? Is that true?
    VZAccess Manager does have a Mac version. It will work.

Check here for the actual program for the mac.
    04-21-09 12:46 PM
    tetherberry is totally awesome and they have a beta mac client that you can request so it works both with pc and mac. i have used it for over 3GB of data two months in a row and no problems!
    04-21-09 01:23 PM
    "everyone who's posted on here has been caught with it."

BS
    04-21-09 01:41 PM
    everyone who i've read about who's posted has been caught...there, happy? my point is why save $15 when there are stories of people having thousands of dollars worth of charges? it doesn't seem logical to me. you can always prorate the bba connect too...thats what i use. anyway, i'm just warning you that there is a chance you will get stuck with the bill if they find you out!
    04-21-09 02:03 PM
    i'll say this one more time...
    you are taking your financial livelyhood into your own hands using tetherberry...be aware that if you're caught, you will be responsible for the charges. that is my last warning. don't come start a thread "wtf I HATE VZW they're charging me..." cus i'll just link you this thread to read.
    04-21-09 02:08 PM
    "everyone who i've read about who's posted has been caught..."

BS...again
    04-21-09 02:14 PM
    dude pdanet has been around for years and i have never heard of verizon going after the people on it. Heck i used it on my motorola q for a long time and never had an issue.

Fear monger @!
    04-21-09 02:15 PM
    i'd advise any level headed user to steer clear of tetherberry. everyone who's posted on here has been caught with it. not to say you will or won't, but its only $15, why risk it and potentially owe $1,842.35?
    everyone who i've read about who's posted has been caught...there, happy? my point is why save $15 when there are stories of people having thousands of dollars worth of charges? it doesn't seem logical to me. you can always prorate the bba connect too...thats what i use. anyway, i'm just warning you that there is a chance you will get stuck with the bill if they find you out!
    Wrong ..... where do you get your information? I can guess, but I wanted to hear it from you. You aren't even in the ballpark of being close. PDANet has been around for ions, Tetherberry, although new, has been tested and used by quite a few, but as to date, I've only read about 2 that were billed excessively. Number 1, the person didn't even have a data plan and was billed by the mgb. Two, the gentelman was billed in excess of $3000. Have you any idea of how much you would have to use. strem and download to (1) go over your 5gb limit (2) @ 25 cents per mgb, you do the math.
    I've used PDANet before on a Winmo and have never had problems. I swap off with Tetherberry now (I actualy like PDANet better myself) and Verizon hasn't cancelled me or billed me. Please, before spreading gossip, get your facts straight.
    Last edited by Ultrafied; 04-21-09 at 03:05 PM.
    04-21-09 02:58 PM
    thanks for all the advice. I called *611, turns out I have the "personal data plan" and Instead of charging me 15 for the modem service it would be 30 buckaroos. Now if I had the 44 dollar bb plan, then it would be 15 dollars. Damnit...tetherberry is looking good.
    04-21-09 03:42 PM
    "everyone who i've read about who's posted has been caught..."

That's a VERY irresponsible, innacurate post, I'm reasonably sure. I'm surprised that you went to that extreme. Has anyone been caught by Verizon as a result of posting here? If so whom? How many people?

Please provide someone back up for this statement, and not some vague dire warning.
    04-21-09 04:18 PM
    Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post. You have to have vz access manager enabled meaning you have to pay the 15 dollars a month. I don't know about tether berry though

04-21-09 04:19 PM
    It is $15 dollars for dumb phones and for tethering a blackberry it is $30 a month.
    04-21-09 04:24 PM
    Wrong ..... where do you get your information?
    granted i'm generalizing my statements to issue the vast concern i have...
    but my references are:
    1) personal friends who've tried it and got burned,
    2) taking escalation calls dealing with large amounts of data usage. they'd actually task me with follow ups due to my experience with the systems and the device functionality, so any escalations that came into the call center would be sent to me for review if they're not handled instantly with some sort of compromise.
    3) read numerous threads on here about it, along with the ones you mentioned...

other than that i'm sure some people are getting away with it. but my point is that what you are doing is breaching customer agreement. i don't work at VZW anymore, so i don't really care what you do. i won't have to deal with it. but i've seen/heard too many sob stories about people who get whats coming. that is all i was trying to avoid.
    04-21-09 04:59 PM
    Verizon tethering does work on a Mac. I use a bluetooth connection on my wife's often. VZAM is total crap IMHO.

All you need to do is pair the phone then setup a dialup connection using #777 as the number [email protected] far a user name and vzw as the password.

I use this on PC's Mac's windows mobile Linux. It has always worked for me.

04-21-09 05:16 PM
    $1,842.35 would constitute just over 7GB of data for the month under the current pricing plan. If you've used 7GB through tethering, even with, but specifically without a tethering plan, you're flat out an i-d-i-o-t, find a Wi-Fi hotspot. The $1842.32 bill is Darwin at work for you.

Keep your usage withing reason and the carriers will not see a reason to come after you. Start getting into the 5GB/month bandwidth and they will.
    04-21-09 05:39 PM
    I paid for and used pdanet with my treo a couple years ago. I used the holy crap out of it and VZW never found out or at least never said anything. It was not the fastest connection in the world but I could get on the internet where ever I had a signal.
    04-21-09 06:11 PM
    I dropped the tether feature off my plan which is 30 bucks a month. I got tetherberry for 39 and use it everyweekend. I have not had a problem yet. Its well worth it to me.

04-21-09 06:28 PM
100 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD