I am currently in the process of developing an application for financial portfolio management and tracking. At first my intentions were to write it for myself to do exactly what I need. I've since come to terms with the time needed to maintain the product if I chose to share it with the community. My questions for all of you are such:

What basic functionality would you like to see in relation to your entire portfolio(s)?

Would you like the ability to make changes to your holdings for the first release or would inquiry only be sufficient for the first iteration.

What advanced functionality would you like to see in regards to an individual holding?

Any questions/comments feel free to ask or PM.

-MTB
    01-02-09 11:17 AM
    Great to hear you're working on something like this since the Storm really needs a device specific app for this.

1. For first iteration I'd be happy with just seeing the realtime quotes of my portfolio. Obviously, the ability to change the holdings would be beneficial in later updates.

2. What I'd like to see in terms of basic quick view list of all my stocks: Stock symbol, Daily percentage change, daily value change, overall value (daily and overall value change in terms of my holdings).

3. I like seeing the daily activity in a graph, or maybe the daily activity of the past week of a stock. this could be a secondary screen, or maybe a drop down view when you click on a quote. Clicking again would close it.

4. Secondary options like seeing related news or alterts, links to thestreet or other finance sites. Probably more but I can't think of them right now.
    01-02-09 03:49 PM
    GREEAT!!!

I'd like to see two things.

1) % and $ change vs. actual stock price and what I bought it at. (ability to enter in how much it was bought for and quantity).

2) YTD total return. Has to be able to distinguish between me depositing my own cash and cash I've made off of sales.
    01-03-09 07:24 AM
    GREEAT!!!

I'd like to see two things.

1) % and $ change vs. actual stock price and what I bought it at. (ability to enter in how much it was bought for and quantity).

2) YTD total return. Has to be able to distinguish between me depositing my own cash and cash I've made off of sales.
    This app will leverage the functionality already built in the google finance app located here: Google Finance

You can create a sample portfolio to see the kinds of analysis you will get via the app.

-MTB
    01-03-09 08:28 AM
    Awesome. Glad someone is putting an app together for this. Thanks!!! Any kind of ETA? If you need beta testers, you know where to look
    01-04-09 12:21 PM
    Awesome. Glad someone is putting an app together for this. Thanks!!! Any kind of ETA? If you need beta testers, you know where to look
    I don't have a firm ETA just yet although I should here in the next few days (weekend at the latest). I would really appreciate a few beta testers if anyone is interested.
    01-05-09 08:05 PM
    Sign me up
    01-05-09 08:46 PM
    I would be very interested in an app like this. Count me in when you need beta testers!
    01-23-09 08:49 AM
    Omg I need this! Lol wsj app is lacking and not user friendly.

I would like something that shows major headlines related to your holdings like marketwatch does but not sure how hard this is. Graphs would be nice as well. All the usual stats as well...EPS, pe ratio, 52wk high/low etc

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 12:02 AM
    Oh yeah...2nds on beta testing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 12:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD