Okay let me start by saying It's not possible to turn on/off the camera flash

With that being said I created a simple app that will turn your screen into a flash light. It will turn the Brightness up to 100%.

You can raise and lower the brightness by sliding your finger up and down on the screen. When the app is closed your screen timeout and your brightness are set to what ever you have setup in your options.

Here is the OTA link

Suggestions are always welcome.
    Last edited by dmglakewood; 02-19-09 at 02:40 PM.
    02-05-09 11:04 PM
    Great app works exactly like it should. Stupid RIM won't let us use the flash but I believe this will work out perfectly fine.
    02-05-09 11:24 PM
    Great app works exactly like it should. Stupid RIM won't let us use the flash but I believe this will work out perfectly fine.
    Yeah, I really wish they would provide us with camera led On/Off. Until then I guess this is as good as it gets.

I used it last night in my room though and it works quite well.
    02-05-09 11:26 PM
    thank you dmg!

keep up the amazing work. i just d/l this app and the wiki app.
    02-05-09 11:29 PM
    thank you dmg!

keep up the amazing work. i just d/l this app and the wiki app.
    Haha no problem

Their just small apps right now. I have a few large projects in the works though.
    02-05-09 11:30 PM
    can u make an app that allows mms to work on a bell mobility storm?

for some stupid reason, mms does not work on cdma blackberries in canada.....
    02-05-09 11:36 PM
    Okay let me start by saying It's not possible to turn on/off the camera flash

With that being said I created a simple app that will turn your screen into a flash light. It will turn the Brightness up to 100% and set the timeout to 255 seconds (that's that max RIM will allow you to set it at).

You can raise and lower the brightness by sliding your finger up and down on the screen. When the app is closed your screen timeout and your brightness are set to what ever you have setup in your options.

Here is the OTA link

Suggestions are always welcome.
    I'll try it later, but grats for the efforts on making apps for the phone.. and free at that.
    02-05-09 11:44 PM
    cool app. thanks, it works like advertized.
    02-06-09 12:06 AM
    Thanks for the app! Was looking for something like this at a great deal
    02-06-09 12:20 AM
    No problem guys, I hope it's bright enough for what you need to do. I was able to walk around my room and see about 5ft in front of me just fine.
    02-06-09 12:39 AM
    Yup it is bright enough. Thanks for the app.
    I downloaded the JDE and tried the example program. Now I need to learn the language and try to make apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 01:15 AM
    Thank you. Works as described!
    02-06-09 01:16 AM
    They might not let you mess with the Flash light cause it might drain the battery way too fast. Just a thought.
    02-06-09 01:23 AM
    Beautifully made application. Well done, dmg. Thanks.
    02-06-09 01:28 AM
    They might not let you mess with the Flash light cause it might drain the battery way too fast. Just a thought.
    Yeah, I haven't heard RIM come out and say that themselves but that's what everyone is assuming. It makes sense though.

Beautifully made application. Well done, dmg. Thanks.
    Thanks for the compliment.
    02-06-09 01:30 AM
    yeah i set my video camera to have the led on so whenever i click my video camera it turns the led on. and it does drain the battery pretty quickly. i think i lost half a bar in a little over half an hour
    02-06-09 01:43 AM
    Just to let you know, for me, this app actually did mess up my timeout settings, even though the actual settings stayed normal.
    I turned on the flashlight app for only 10 seconds to test...turned it off and my brightness did revert back to 70 percent like I had it...but, the screen backlight was not turning off. My guess is that it stayed at the longer timeout time. And I checked my screen settings and even though it did still say 70% and 10 seconds timeout, it was staying on right after shutting down the app until I re-saved the settings..
    Last edited by guts311; 02-06-09 at 01:50 AM.
    02-06-09 01:46 AM
    You're right, guts. I just checked as well and the backlight doesn't turn off at all after closing the flashlight unless the setting is resaved.
    02-06-09 02:06 AM
    Just to let you know, for me, this app actually did mess up my timeout settings, even though the actual settings stayed normal.
    I turned on the flashlight app for only 10 seconds to test...turned it off and my brightness did revert back to 70 percent like I had it...but, the screen backlight was not turning off. My guess is that it stayed at the longer timeout time. And I checked my screen settings and even though it did still say 70% and 10 seconds timeout, it was staying on right after shutting down the app until I re-saved the settings..
    Hmm, good call. RIM doesn't provide a method to get the current Timeout. I guess I have to do away with the staying lit for 255 seconds. The updated version will only stay lit as long as you have your Timeout set too.

RIM should provde a getTimeout method just like the getBrightness.

Thanks for the tip.

P.S. The updated version can be downloaded using the same link.
    02-06-09 02:14 AM
    Thanks for the update. I noticed that too. Was just about to write something but found its already been fixed

02-06-09 02:22 AM
    you can also set one of your convenience keys to the camcorder application, and have it set to have the light always on.

so when you press that button, instant bright flash light!!!

it works great on any blackberry with the camcorder application!

p.s. it realllllllllllllly drains the battery

p.s.s. if you have a storm, the light will go off for a second when you switch from landscape to portrait mode, so keep it study and upright
    02-06-09 02:22 AM
    I have to think that the majority of the battery consumption in video recording mode is a result of high-rate image capture, processing, and display. It is, however, possible that the LED assembly isn't designed to dissipate the thermal load of running for more than a couple of minutes at a time. Someone would have to look at the part's tolerances to be sure.

02-06-09 09:48 AM
    Thanks, I needed a decent flashlight app - to see behind computers, when I'm under desks and behind server racks., I have downloaded several apps and had not found a decent one. The video cam light is awesome but not easy enough to grab quickly. This will do the trick. Thanks!
    02-06-09 10:10 AM
    Thanks DMG! it's the little things lol.
    02-06-09 10:27 AM
    Great job man! keep up the awesome work!
    02-06-09 10:46 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD