Has anyone heard of an app or any kind of software for the storm that would enable you to access the whereabouts of your unit via the internet in the event it was lost or stolen?

It would be great if there was some kind of app that would let you see where your Storm was on a map.
    02-25-09 11:58 PM
    Setup google latitude and have it keep reporting your location when you exit it?

I believe there was an article about lojack coming to BlackBerry.
    02-26-09 12:00 AM
    FYI, its no lojack and no guarantee... but Find It - Helps You Find Your Lost BlackBerry | BerryReview.com �

Not sure if it's storm compatible though.
    02-26-09 12:02 AM
    MoosTrax - Home

This is an awesome utility. It provides live tracking, history and a feature called geofence. Its currently in beta testing, but ive had nothing but great results so far.
    02-26-09 11:08 AM
    Setup google latitude and have it keep reporting your location when you exit it?

I believe there was an article about lojack coming to BlackBerry.
    I was going to suggest the same about latitude, and was going to question if lojack was coming to Blackberry... thank you for reading my mind... great post
    02-26-09 12:06 PM
    MoosTrax - Home

This is an awesome utility. It provides live tracking, history and a feature called geofence. Its currently in beta testing, but ive had nothing but great results so far.
    Anyone else use this service yet? It looks great.
    02-26-09 12:20 PM
    Sean,

I see you are on telus. If you go to mytelusmobility.com they have a application on there called Kid Find. It allows you to track the whereabouts of your blackberry from your browser. I have seen this used several times and it is very effective. My personal favorite was a friend of mine who walked into a Wendy's and asked the whole restaurant who took his phone from the limo last night. Some sheepish looking cowboys gladly handed it over.
    02-26-09 12:30 PM
    Sean,

I see you are on telus. If you go to mytelusmobility.com they have a application on there called Kid Find. It allows you to track the whereabouts of your blackberry from your browser. I have seen this used several times and it is very effective. My personal favorite was a friend of mine who walked into a Wendy's and asked the whole restaurant who took his phone from the limo last night. Some sheepish looking cowboys gladly handed it over.
    HA I love it.
    02-26-09 01:03 PM
    What you do is sign up for google maps then put in a friend/family/spouse on there and share each others location. Then hide your google maps in some random file and put file lock on it. Then you can watch where the thief goes for free. Well as long as the phone is on and he doesnt erase it. But knowing any good thief would want to play with his new "loot" and knowing the battery life of our phones, he would porbably drain the battery in a few ours. But at least you would have a shot.
    02-26-09 03:56 PM
    Thanks for all the great replies. I am going to try them out and pick the one I like best. Thanks again to everyone that replied, appreciate the info.
    02-27-09 11:00 AM
    What you do is sign up for google maps then put in a friend/family/spouse on there and share each others location. Then hide your google maps in some random file and put file lock on it. Then you can watch where the thief goes for free. Well as long as the phone is on and he doesnt erase it. But knowing any good thief would want to play with his new "loot" and knowing the battery life of our phones, he would porbably drain the battery in a few ours. But at least you would have a shot.
    Problem with that is, Google maps only uses GPS when the program is open. I reverts to cell ID when running in the background, so unless you scour a square mile, you wont have a chance.
    02-27-09 11:28 AM
    First I tried MoosTrax, but in order to try it you need a registration code which I don't have. Then I tried The Child Find with Telus and they tell me my STORM of all things is not compatible with this service...WTF is with that.

With MoosTrax I can understand due to it being in Beta and them only requiring x amount of users to try it. BUT Telus offers a service that isn't compatible with a Smart Phone.

And Google Maps doesn't want to play nice with my Storm...or should I say with Telus. Back to square 1.
    02-27-09 10:56 PM
    First I tried MoosTrax, but in order to try it you need a registration code which I don't have. Then I tried The Child Find with Telus and they tell me my STORM of all things is not compatible with this service...WTF is with that.

With MoosTrax I can understand due to it being in Beta and them only requiring x amount of users to try it. BUT Telus offers a service that isn't compatible with a Smart Phone.

And Google Maps doesn't want to play nice with my Storm...or should I say with Telus. Back to square 1.

Send Moonstrax a email asking to be a beta tester and they should send you a registration code.

Here is the email. [email protected]
    02-28-09 12:17 AM
    Send Moonstrax a email asking to be a beta tester and they should send you a registration code.

Here is the email. [email protected]

Yea I tried that on Thursday but they haven't responded back. I'm thinking they have all the beta testers they need. Thanks for your response.
    02-28-09 10:16 AM
    Then I tried The Child Find with Telus and they tell me my STORM of all things is not compatible with this service...WTF is with that.

. BUT Telus offers a service that isn't compatible with a Smart Phone.
    (
    That's odd re kidfind and telus. I just tried it out to find my wife's phone (she's at work) and got the exact address where she's at. I don't know what to suggest or why you're having a problem but there should be a way around it. Try *611 and see if they can work it through with you.

Personally, I'm quite excited about this one. My daughter lost her phone twice in the same week. We found it but may not be so lucky in future. This can't hurt.
    02-28-09 10:43 AM
    That's odd re kidfind and telus. I just tried it out to find my wife's phone (she's at work) and got the exact address where she's at. I don't know what to suggest or why you're having a problem but there should be a way around it. Try *611 and see if they can work it through with you.

Personally, I'm quite excited about this one. My daughter lost her phone twice in the same week. We found it but may not be so lucky in future. This can't hurt.
    What they told me was the BB Storm was one of the models that would not work with this feature. She even put me on hold for almost 10 min to verify with someone else, then gave me some half baked reason as to why it wouldn't.

I'm holding out for MoosTrax, mabey they will still send me an activation code.
    02-28-09 03:16 PM
    crackhead, now that I think about it, I used KidFind to locate my wife's Motorola cell phone so I guess MoosTrax is the solution. Dang
    03-01-09 11:50 AM
    I use instamapper for just this purpose. Look in their forum for the beta for Storm. It runs in the big at startup and you set the ping interval. You can use the web to see location.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 12:06 PM
    I also use instamapper and I've had no problems. It does drain the battery when you leave it on though. Head over to instmapper.com to get it.
    03-01-09 02:42 PM
    Did you ever get the phone back? i'm in the same situation right now
    10-05-09 03:05 PM
    I use cell seeker....so far so good...and they are working on a remote wipe feature
    10-05-09 03:10 PM
    i come through a app and i am using it currently its nice and has got a lot of options you can have a look just check it calle berrysnooper
    04-07-10 05:03 AM
    I use Cell Seeker - it's cheap and has tons of options/modes you can set on it. When you send your phone a predefined message, it set's off the app. It will email you a map location of your phone down to the lat/long coordinates. It's very cool!! I've needed to use it a couple of times and was glad I had it. You can even password protect it too. I hear there's going to be remote wipe in the next release too!! very cool! cellseeker.net
    04-22-10 06:16 PM
    I use Buddygaurd and it's worked really well for me so far.
    04-23-10 06:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD