I am a psuedo-adventurer but cant leave my storm behind. this thing is my child. sad, but true. regardless, i have been searching for a compass app. i do not need driving directions; i have been directed to previously (vodaphone's gps is called "compass"). i go hiking and bike riding in the wilderness with no map and i need a legit, "old school" compass app. no frills, just show me which direction i am pointed. VZW gps is over priced for the service and i was hoping maybe someone knew of a compass app.
    03-13-09 11:16 PM
    Damn how many compass threads are going to be posted today?
    08-05-09 05:44 PM
    I d/led this for boating last weekend, and it worked great..

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/bl...-storm-112184/
    08-05-09 10:09 PM
    Damn how many compass threads are going to be posted today?
    This is number 4 that ive posted on..... idk why its just a waist of my time.
    08-05-09 10:11 PM
    Hmmm .... have you thought of just buying an "old school compass" instead of trying to depend on a phone app? Just wondering.
    08-06-09 02:45 AM
    I think you'd like that GPSLogger app, whether you use the compass or not. It actually plots a drawing of the exact path that you walk/ride. You can use it to get back to your starting point very easily if you get lost.
    08-06-09 08:20 AM
    Hmmm .... have you thought of just buying an "old school compass" instead of trying to depend on a phone app? Just wondering.
    That was going to be my suggestion.
    08-06-09 10:52 AM
    I can see the news headlines now "Man lost after relying on BB compass app.... until battery dies"

08-06-09 10:58 AM
    Yeah... buy a quality regular old compass and a hiking GPS. I don't think I'd feel comfortable relying on my Storm for a potential life or death situation. Not that there's a problem with performance, it's just that when the GPS is on the battery life is too short. In addition, it's not waterproof.
    08-06-09 11:26 AM
    Yeah, you'd have to be insane to rely on a novelty compass app over a real compass in a survival situation. If it was already too late and it was all you had it would be better than nothing but knowing ahead of time, before you need it, you need a real compass.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 11:44 AM
    With BlackStar, you can mark your starting location so that you can navigate back to it.
    Disclaimer: BlackStar is for recreational purposes only, it can enhance your hike, but cannot replace proper planning, equipment, and training.
    08-06-09 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD