I tried the Garmin 3-day trial about a month ago and liked it fine, though it's hard to judge in three days. Then I tried the TeleNav 30-day trial and I think I liked TeleNav a little better. I like the feature where you call Information and the addess is added to your recent places.

My problem is that TeleNav costs quite a bit more, so I wanted to check to see if I might be missing anything. Garmin had a $79 deal that was for the life of the phone. Is that deal still ongoing? TeleNav is $99 a year (or $9.99/mo). Has anyone found a discount or cheaper price for TeleNav?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-09 12:19 PM
    do you travel a lot? or are you using it at home? GPS is a waste IMO. use google maps and save 100 bucks!!! LOL
    01-24-09 12:24 PM
    Garmin has a $10/month monthly subscription if you want to try it a little longer. And "life of the phone" means what it says. You can't move your subscription to a new phone. So be sure you're keeping your Storm before you commit.
    01-24-09 12:27 PM
    Garmin has a $10/month monthly subscription if you want to try it a little longer. And "life of the phone" means what it says. You can't move your subscription to a new phone. So be sure you're keeping your Storm before you commit.
    You can transfer it if you have to get a replacement phone, correct? Just not moving from a Storm to a Bold.
    01-24-09 12:43 PM
    do you travel a lot? or are you using it at home? GPS is a waste IMO. use google maps and save 100 bucks!!! LOL
    Of course you're right about Google maps but my "voice of rationalization" says I need one of these because I need glasses to read, which makes the voice directions necessary. But let's get real - I want it as a toy.

01-24-09 12:47 PM
    Voice directions rock! It really helps in those situations where a series of quick turns are needed. It will tell you to (e.g.) "turn right, then make an immediate left". Without that, you will probably blow right past the turn, then wonder why the heck it's "recalculating".

IMO, voice is a requirement for safe driving.
    01-24-09 12:56 PM
    You can transfer it if you have to get a replacement phone, correct? Just not moving from a Storm to a Bold.

Ask Garmin first and get it in writing. Not that I don't trust them, but their disclaimer seems pretty clear. From their faq:

Question: How can I transfer my Garmin Mobile for Blackberry license to a new phone?

Answer: Garmin Mobile is offered as a one time purchase for your Blackberry. The license applies to the first phone on which the application is activated. If upgrading to a different Blackberry, the license expires and much be re-purchased if continued use is desired.

If a phone is replaced by its carrier because of a malfunction, Garmin can transfer a license to the replacement device. This transfer must occur within the first twelve months of activation and is at Garmin's sole discretion. Garmin allows one transfer of this type for each license. In order to transfer a Garmin Mobile license, please contact technical support.

To find out more about the Garmin User Terms, view the Garmin Mobile for Blackberry EULA.

Last modified on: 12/17/2008
    01-24-09 12:57 PM
    Don't believe u can transfer why not get vznav unless your on a 9500. Its just as good or even better then garmin

01-24-09 12:59 PM
    Don't believe u can transfer why not get vznav unless your on a 9500. Its just as good or even better then garmin

Verizon already gets enough of my money. Actually I might consider it if I could get a free trial. Is there one?

01-24-09 01:07 PM
    I did. I reinstalled Garmin on my second with no issues, just emailed support and explained I needed to re-download to my replacement.
    01-24-09 01:51 PM
    AmazeGPS.com is free, bit funky to use on the storm, but the arrows are nice and big in portrait mode and has voice directions etc.
    01-24-09 02:00 PM
    no issue here with the garmin mobile. I"ve used there products for many years and dont have an issue w/the $79 for the functionality it provides.
    good luck in your decision.
    01-24-09 02:01 PM
    Is the $79 deal expired? I only see a $99 option.
    01-24-09 02:36 PM
    Is the $79 deal expired? I only see a $99 option.
    Garmin Mobile $79 link
    01-24-09 02:44 PM
    Thanks!
    01-24-09 03:33 PM
    Thanks!
    No problem, glad to be able to help out
    01-24-09 05:32 PM
    Verizon already gets enough of my money. Actually I might consider it if I could get a free trial. Is there one?

I do believe vz offers a trial on vznav. All 3 are about the sametprice.

01-24-09 05:39 PM
    I do believe vz offers a trial on vznav. All 3 are about the sametprice.
    Only if you pay by the month, otherwise you break even on the garmin app in 8 months.
    01-24-09 05:42 PM
    I've had my Garmin system reloaded twice, just called their customer service number and they issued a reload link to my Storm while I was still on the phone. As long as you have the same phone NUMBER, they'll restore it for you.
    01-24-09 06:24 PM
    I use Google Maps about once or twice a week and I think it works very well. Granted, no turn by turn, but great just the same.
    01-24-09 06:31 PM
    I keep trying to DL the 7 day Garmin trial, but am getting a consistent error from the web page.

Are they no longer offering the trial?
    01-25-09 12:32 PM
    Try downloading from Handango. They offer the free trial there.
    01-25-09 01:18 PM
    Thanks! That did it!
    01-25-09 05:17 PM
    Okay, having had a chance to use both of them:

Telenav - has a slightly easier 3D map to read, but 2D isn't quite as nice as Garmin. For a screen this small, 2D is probably the best bet anyway.

Telenav's option to call in an address and have it sent to the phone is GREAT. It sure beats stopping the car.

Garmin - Garmin was definitely faster to boot up and find satellites.

It was better than Telenav at pronouncing streets.

Garmin keeps the screen all the time. Probably a good thing, but make sure you have it plugged in. These apps burn through batteries.

Garmin has real time weather, and also has real time flight info.

I found the Garmin to be a bit easier to get around the menus. I also liked having heading, speed and satellite strength on the map page.

---

Both made minor mistakes, and NO GPS will replace local knowledge of the roads. Only you know the best routes.

To sum - I was impressed with both these apps. They will get you where you want to go, and are darn handy to have at your fingertips whenever you have the phone on you. My feeling, though, is that Garmin is the way to go, if only because it will be a LOT cheaper than Telenav ($79 for Garmin vs. $10/month for Telenav).

YMMV.
    01-25-09 05:28 PM
    Well, I remained indecisive long enough that I just incurred my first, monthly $9.99 charge from TeleNav, proving that the 30-day free trial does a good job of sucking you in.

01-26-09 08:55 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD