Is there any application besides bb and google?? I love using vz nav but I don't see myself paying 9.99 are there any others I can use??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 09:43 PM
    Is there any application besides bb and google?? I love using vz nav but I don't see myself paying 9.99 are there any others I can use??

I use VZW Nav too... Like the interface, don't like 9.99
    03-04-09 09:49 PM
    Garmin has an app just BB

Awsome!
    03-04-09 09:50 PM
    I'm loving google maps since it was updated. I don't use anything else now.
    03-04-09 09:57 PM
    Garmin has an app just BB

Awsome!
    How much is it? Is there a recurring charge?
    03-04-09 09:58 PM
    the best free app is......bb maps. I tried Telenav and VZ nav and it is not worth $120 a year. You can buy the garmin for a one time fee of $80 i think.
    03-04-09 09:58 PM
    Garmin one time fee of $79
    03-04-09 10:30 PM

If you have read my other posts, you know that I have both Google Map and VZ Navigator. Although Google Map is free, I prefer to use VZ Nav for the following reasons:

1. VZ Nav has voice turn-by-turn navigation.
    2. VZ Nav can navigate you to ANY address on your contact list which is extremely convenient, especially when you are on the road and it is difficult to type in the destination address.
    3. VZ Nav has "follow me" feature which is very accurate. it literally follows me and shows what street I am driving on and what direction I am heading. When I gets out of the grid, the map redraw is very fast....much faster than the redraw on Google Map. That is very important when you are driving on the highway.
    4. VZ Nav uses AGPS or Assisted GPS. Many other GPS application, especially the free ones like Google Map, use only the regular GPS. If you would like to know the difference, just Google "AGPS vs GPS" and read on.
    5. VZ Nav can pinpoint me when I am inside an office building. Google Map can only triangulate me when I am indoor and it is 1/4 mile off target.
    6. VZ Nav can provide weather forecast on your GPS location or any location on your contact list. You no longer need to use WeatherBug anymore. And there is no need to type in any address.
    7. VZ Nav can help you find the type of restaurants (e.g. Italian) in the area where you are at now. And of course, provide you the navigation after you made the selection.
    8. VZ Nav can tell you what movies are showing at a theater in the area where you are at.
    9. VZ Nav is provided by Verizon Wireless, so they have the home-field-advantage over other application.

Yes, the VZ Navigator costs $10 a month. But it is roughly the cost of 2 Starbuck coffees. Nowadays, a decent sit-down lunch will cost more than $10. Besides, if you can afford a $200 phone with $30 a month unlimited data plan (plus whatever you pay for the voice), the $10 a month is like a drop in a bucket. So it should be a non-factor. In my humble opinion, the VZ Navigator is a must-have application for every Storm owner.

I understand that some people prefer Garmin. Since I don't have that application, I cannot comment on whether it is good or no good. But just for argument's sake, with everything relatively equal, just the Reason #9 above is enough for me to go with VZ Nav.

Last but not least, my last mobile device was the XV6800 (or HTC Titan). It has a built-in GPS chip. But the last time when VzW released a new ROM upgrade, they actually disabled the GPS for other 3rd party software to use it. So the only choice left for the XV6800 owners is the VZ Navigator. Now, I am not saying that VzW will do that again on the Storm. But you simply cannot guarantee they won't. This gives me another reason to use VZ Nav instead of other 3rd party application like Garmin.

Hope this helps.
    03-04-09 10:36 PM
    Garmin one time fee of $79
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/lo...ml#post1818236
    03-04-09 10:39 PM
    Can anyone verify that vzw will block any 3rd party Navigation Apps for the Storm???
    03-04-09 10:41 PM
    Can anyone verify that vzw will block any 3rd party Navigation Apps for the Storm???
    As I have said, they did that for the XV6800, so you cannot guarantee they won't.
    03-04-09 10:47 PM
    As I have said, they did that for the XV6800, so you cannot guarantee they won't.
    Right. I was just looking for verification if that was the case for the Storm. But after looking at DIA.NSA.CIA's link, I noticed that someone toward the end of the thread was using another application other than VZ Nav. So, that should answer my question. Thanks.
    03-04-09 10:52 PM
    If you have read my other posts, you know that I have both Google Map and VZ Navigator. Although Google Map is free, I prefer to use VZ Nav for the following reasons:

1. VZ Nav has voice turn-by-turn navigation.
    2. VZ Nav can navigate you to ANY address on your contact list which is extremely convenient, especially when you are on the road and it is difficult to type in the destination address.
    3. VZ Nav has "follow me" feature which is very accurate. it literally follows me and shows what street I am driving on and what direction I am heading. When I gets out of the grid, the map redraw is very fast....much faster than the redraw on Google Map. That is very important when you are driving on the highway.
    4. VZ Nav uses AGPS or Assisted GPS. Many other GPS application, especially the free ones like Google Map, use only the regular GPS. If you would like to know the difference, just Google "AGPS vs GPS" and read on.
    5. VZ Nav can pinpoint me when I am inside an office building. Google Map can only triangulate me when I am indoor and it is 1/4 mile off target.
    6. VZ Nav can provide weather forecast on your GPS location or any location on your contact list. You no longer need to use WeatherBug anymore. And there is no need to type in any address.
    7. VZ Nav can help you find the type of restaurants (e.g. Italian) in the area where you are at now. And of course, provide you the navigation after you made the selection.
    8. VZ Nav can tell you what movies are showing at a theater in the area where you are at.
    9. VZ Nav is provided by Verizon Wireless, so they have the home-field-advantage over other application.

Yes, the VZ Navigator costs $10 a month. But it is roughly the cost of 2 Starbuck coffees. Nowadays, a decent sit-down lunch will cost more than $10. Besides, if you can afford a $200 phone with $30 a month unlimited data plan (plus whatever you pay for the voice), the $10 a month is like a drop in a bucket. So it should be a non-factor. In my humble opinion, the VZ Navigator is a must-have application for every Storm owner.

I understand that some people prefer Garmin. Since I don't have that application, I cannot comment on whether it is good or no good. But just for argument's sake, with everything relatively equal, just the Reason #9 above is enough for me to go with VZ Nav.

Last but not least, my last mobile device was the XV6800 (or HTC Titan). It has a built-in GPS chip. But the last time when VzW released a new ROM upgrade, they actually disabled the GPS for other 3rd party software to use it. So the only choice left for the XV6800 owners is the VZ Navigator. Now, I am not saying that VzW will do that again on the Storm. But you simply cannot guarantee they won't. This gives me another reason to use VZ Nav instead of other 3rd party application like Garmin.

Hope this helps.

Once again, satisfied I have VZW
    03-04-09 10:56 PM
    Verizon has fully unlocked GPS on the Storm. What is blocked, however, is carrier assisted GPS.
    03-04-09 11:31 PM
    Not to argue but Garmin does all that VZ Nav does. I know I had both and I just suspended my VZ Nav subscription. I have the Garmin as my everyday GPS and IF I get into a jam with Garmin where it can't help I can always try VZ Nav on a 24hr basis for $3.99 to see if it can do better. And that AGPS system is not foolproof either, I used VZ Nav on a trip to Myrtle Beach last year and Verizon lost me once or twice (no cell towers, I guess, in the area where I was travelling) on a route I had to force VZ Nav to get. It wouldn't take in account where I was located and plot the most direct course. I even had to turn it off a couple of times because it couldn't replot a route from where I was without having me double back or taking a 20 to 50 mile out of the way detour then timed out. VZ Nav is only as good as the info it gets. I'm not saying that the Garmin is perfect, because I haven't used it yet on a trip like that but I'm willing to bet it is just as good. I even turned off the Nav and just used the Maps feature to plot my own course. When I arrive in Myrtle Beach it worked like a charm. I am not saying VZ Nav isn't a good app but the Garmin is more cost-efficent. There have been times VZ Nav was spot on but it strength is to plot the route along major highways in my area. Sometimes I don't want to take the major highways because of traffic concerns or the time of day (i.e. rush hour). If there was nothing else to use besides VZ Nav I would still have that $10 a month charge on my bill, but I now have a choice. All navigation systems have their flaws though, the roads are always changing.
    03-04-09 11:37 PM
    google maps is crazy accurate. and being able to switch to satellite mode and pinpoint the room you are in is pretty cool. a little creepy though...

google maps and poynt together gets my vote for sure.
    03-04-09 11:42 PM
    google maps is the way to go; it is a little slow on the "my location" but free is always better than a charge
    03-08-09 11:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD