I must say I really wanted to love the Storm. I was so excited to get it but now I am even more excited to see it go after going through 4 replacement devices. I will keep it around for a while to see if it ever does get better but for the time being I am going to grab a G1 from T-Mobile.

I understand the drawbacks of T-Mobile but I would rather drop a call once a day then have a phone that freezes up when I try to answer a call. I am a little worried to switch but it actually was incredibly easy to get out of the Verizon wireless contract.

For anyone that wants to know how I did it, it is pretty simple. If you look on the back page of your bill you will see a message about how they are changing the pricing of Picture/Video Messaging. Just call 611 press 4 then 2(I believe but listen for the options) you will want to cancel service. Get them on the phone and it really was quite easy for me(took 10 min 7 of it was stuck on hold). When I finally talked to someone they asked how they may help you today and I just said that in my customer agreement that

"UNLESS OTHERWISE PROHIBITED BY LAW, WE CAN ALSO CHANGE PRICES AND ANY OTHER CONDITIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT AT ANY TIME BY SENDING YOU WRITTEN NOTICE PRIOR TO THE BILLING PERIOD IN WHICH THE CHANGES WOULD GO INTO EFFECT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE YOUR SERVICE AFTER THAT POINT, YOU'RE ACCEPTING THE CHANGES. IF THE CHANGES HAVE A MATERIAL ADVERSE EFFECT ON YOU, HOWEVER, YOU CAN END THE AFFECTED SERVICE, WITHOUT ANY EARLY TERMINATION FEE, JUST BY CALLING US WITHIN 60 DAYS AFTER WE SEND NOTICE OF THE CHANGE."

and that I felt that this price change would have a material adverse affect on me.

Her first argument was that they were not changing the "rate", just changing the way it is billed. I then said no, you are changing the rate. Before I could send a pix message to one person for $.25 now if I do the same thing it will cost me $2.50 so there for that changes the rate at which you are billing me. She said that I was correct.

She then went on to tell me that I could just pay $5 more per month and it wouldn’t have an effect on me. I then said that the contract never states that I will be forced to upgrade my plan and pay more money, it says I may terminate it without an early termination fee. She agreed and put me on hold.

When she came back she said that everything was okay and that she would waive the fee. She then informed me that I would not be able to keep my number and I then asked why not and she said it was because they would randomly assign it when my line was terminated. I asked if she would just note my account that they ETF would be waived when I ported the number to T-Mobile and she said that she will check on it next Friday and take care of it then.

She then asked me if I would like anything else and I just told her to have a great evening and she wished me the same. Presto, it took me longer to type all this out then it actually took on the phone but I though some of you would like to know that.

The moral of the story is if you are really that mad at your storm, stop slamming it here and just terminate your contract. If you are able try to get it unlocked first and then when you are done with it sell it on ebay (they go for about $300). I am looking forward to actually getting to use Android (not just the Android Theme by ElyCruz[which is amazing]).

PM me if you need any more details about how to get out of your contract or google it and you will find lots of info.

Zach
    EDIT: I try to stick to all contracts that are signed, and please just remember to take the high road, if they don't let you... Don't flame the customer service rep, just call again and cross your fingers.
    Last edited by mttallaczach; 05-02-09 at 02:59 PM.
    05-02-09 02:25 PM
    Great story. I'm always happy to see people like yourself stand up and do something after being taken advantage.

Ill probobly catch flack for saying that but I've long felt that VZW screwedd over its customer base by passing a bad device off on them for their own profit.

Good job : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-09 02:35 PM
    I would of rather got the 8900, but congrads on getting out of your contract without paying the ETF
    05-02-09 02:36 PM
    although it would be ethically wrong, you could just do this port your number over and then Verizon throws the "Winback team" on you and I have heard they offer you:

Any New Phone
    2 months of Free Service
    and there are some other things they may throw in, such as a 1 year contract, free accessories...

You would still be in 30 days of your other contract so you might have to pay a small restocking fee on those phones but that is it. I am pretty much done with this phone so I wont take the winback deal but it is quite lucrative. I am not telling you to do this just to get new phones, I feel that would be a little wrong...but hey it is your conscience that you would have to answer to.

As to the 8900, I have a thing for touch screens I really like them and I narrowed the choices between the Pre(holding my breath for it), the G1, or the iPhone. I knew the Pre would be out because it wouldn’t be out soon enough. The iPhone is a great device(and I am a bit of an apple fanboy) but everyone has them and I realized I really miss a physical keyboard. The G1 is so open and that is what I really like about it and android is being rapidly worked on(at least it appears) plus it seems to be proven on the G1.

Cereal Killer - I really feel the same way. I understand an early adopters tax but the phone is not very reliable. My mom called me last night because she didn’t know where I was and my phone was stuck on lock so I had to pull the battery and wait 5 min for it to turn on...in the mean time my mom called 4 times and probably thought I was off in some ditch dying(she can be crazy but I love her)...

Zach
    Last edited by mttallaczach; 05-02-09 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added info
    05-02-09 02:42 PM
    I hope you enjoy the G1. I had T-Mobile and I canceled out of my contract because I kept dropping calls and rarely had 3G consistently in the Chicago area. The phone itself always made funny creaking noises no matter how much I modified the area to prevent it and it appears most if not all have this issue. I must admit that it was tough to leave as I had an unlimited loyalty plan which is unlimited minutes for $50 a month but I did it anyways.

Either way, enjoy it. I didn't think the G1 was anything too special as it's a data phone so I want my data nearly everywhere I go. I got 3G at home no problem but it was sketchy everywhere else. [I didn't need 3G at home!]

Also, remember that you don't want to keep 3G on at all times. I've yet to run into this issue with Verizon, but if you switch 3G from EDGE [2G], a caller won't be able to get through during the switch. I had to always turn 3G off to prevent this and it was quite annoying.
    05-02-09 03:30 PM
    See ya, and I wouldn't wanna be ya! Peace!!
    05-02-09 03:33 PM
    I hope you enjoy the G1. I had T-Mobile and I canceled out of my contract because I kept dropping calls and rarely had 3G consistently in the Chicago area. The phone itself always made funny creaking noises no matter how much I modified the area to prevent it and it appears most if not all have this issue. I must admit that it was tough to leave as I had an unlimited loyalty plan which is unlimited minutes for $50 a month but I did it anyways.

Either way, enjoy it. I didn't think the G1 was anything too special as it's a data phone so I want my data nearly everywhere I go. I got 3G at home no problem but it was sketchy everywhere else. [I didn't need 3G at home!]

Also, remember that you don't want to keep 3G on at all times. I've yet to run into this issue with Verizon, but if you switch 3G from EDGE [2G], a caller won't be able to get through during the switch. I had to always turn 3G off to prevent this and it was quite annoying.
    Thanks for the advice, I am not even in a 3G area yet so that is a little bummer but I have WIFI almost wherever I go so hopefully that will work. I understand not all devices will be perfect but I am having a hard time not throwing my storm against the wall...lol

I more or less like android because it is open source and pretty flexible with what I can do with it...

Zach
    05-02-09 03:39 PM
    Thanks for the advice, I am not even in a 3G area yet so that is a little bummer but I have WIFI almost wherever I go so hopefully that will work. I understand not all devices will be perfect but I am having a hard time not throwing my storm against the wall...lol

I more or less like android because it is open source and pretty flexible with what I can do with it...

Zach
    The open source was nice to have. And if you're on Wi-Fi, you'll be fine. Just be aware that you will drain that battery very quick so have a charger or a backup at all times if you're on Wi-Fi. It disappears quick on 3G too. 2G would be average.
    05-02-09 03:42 PM
    Good luck pal
    05-02-09 04:07 PM
    Any verizon reps that can confirm this is possible. ? Not that you are lieing or anything but not everybody will have the same luck and when is the messages change going to go in effect ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-09 10:02 PM
    Quick Google Search gave me this:
    ALIVE AGAIN! *April 2009* Get Out Of Verizon Wireless ETF For Free! New one (Not Because of Texting) *picture/video messaging* - Page 33 - SlickDeals.net Forums

Look about half way down that page and you will see that others have had luck(others not so much...)

Here is the link to the Verizon Customer Agreement:
    Here

As long as you come well armed. Have your bill, Customer Agreement, and some time and patience you should be able to get out of it. It could be as easy as mine 10 min total, or it could be a 45 min long ordeal...

Good Luck and ill gladly answer any more questions. If you are actually worried about arguing it. read through the customer agreement first. But seriously, I am a 17 year old geek and I was able to get out of it so it cant be that hard.

My biggest advice is to be cool and overly friendly.

Zach
    05-03-09 01:10 AM
    Quick Google Search gave me this:
    ALIVE AGAIN! *April 2009* Get Out Of Verizon Wireless ETF For Free! New one (Not Because of Texting) *picture/video messaging* - Page 33 - SlickDeals.net Forums

Look about half way down that page and you will see that others have had luck(others not so much...)

Here is the link to the Verizon Customer Agreement:
    Here

As long as you come well armed. Have your bill, Customer Agreement, and some time and patience you should be able to get out of it. It could be as easy as mine 10 min total, or it could be a 45 min long ordeal...

Good Luck and ill gladly answer any more questions. If you are actually worried about arguing it. read through the customer agreement first. But seriously, I am a 17 year old geek and I was able to get out of it so it cant be that hard.

My biggest advice is to be cool and overly friendly.

Zach
    If you are 17 years old, you never had a contract in your name in the first place.

Nice try.
    05-03-09 07:11 AM
    If you are 17 years old, you never had a contract in your name in the first place.

Nice try.
    Good catch!
    05-03-09 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD