anyone notice in 151 , some messages are coming in as text/plain attachment on the Storm and when I double click to open the attachment the Storm says that "this attachment type cannot be viewed on your device" yet it shows up as regular text in my email on outlook

anyone notice this or can help??
    06-07-09 11:54 AM
    connect phone to pc/laptop/etc > go into dm > apploader > make sure the "attachment service" checkbox is checked > follow steps until reboot
    06-07-09 02:09 PM
    DM says its loaded, is there a setting that might have changed?
    06-07-09 11:47 PM
    I had a similar issue. DM shows that attachment service is installed and yet I get error message stating "attachment type cannot be viewed on this device".

This fix worked for me:

connect device to DM

uninstall attachment service

close DM

Restart DM and install attachment service on device

It started working the way it was supposed after I did that.
    06-08-09 09:41 AM
    tried as you stated still having the issue any other thoughts?
    06-08-09 11:11 PM
    I just upgraded to 151 and I am having something similar. If there is an attachment in the email then the text is also included as an attachment that says "text/plain attachment". If there is no attachment in the email then I can view the text fine. However, anytime there is an attachment I can't see what text is included in the email. I am running T-mo and a BES account. Any thoughts?

anyone notice in 151 , some messages are coming in as text/plain attachment on the Storm and when I double click to open the attachment the Storm says that "this attachment type cannot be viewed on your device" yet it shows up as regular text in my email on outlook

07-14-09 04:28 PM
    This is not an OS issue. Its an issue with the sending party and their email settings on outlook. If you do some research (I suggest google since CB search is so damn complicated) you'll find the answers you need.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 05:16 PM
    it is clearly an issue on 151 because when 148 is loaded those emails come in readable and in 151 any email that has an attachment along with any meessage the receipient cannot read the message as it is listed as text/plain but can open the attachment. Only seems to occur if using a BES email address

can anyone help ???
    07-15-09 01:51 AM
    Check the email from a PC. Wait, If you're on BES you'll have outlook most likely. Nvm. I'm telling you its an outlook thing I've seen it before.

07-15-09 05:51 AM
    Daryey, I am with you....I went back to 148 and there is no issue with the same emails. Since I am running Tmo, the 148 isn't ideal because the edge/EDGE issue using GSM.

I think I am go to try the swap a radio technique and use the 151 radio with the 148 OS. That probably doesn't help you, but I agree that I have to blame the OS on this one. If you are interested I can post the results from running 148 with the 151 radio, but this text attachment issue makes the BlackBerry useless from a power corporate user standpoint.

So, I have to go back to a previous OS in order to stay in touch with work peeps.

If anyone else knows how to get rid of this text issue, we would definitely appreciate the help.
    07-15-09 02:15 PM
    I'm having the same issue with my Verizon Wireless Tour, OS v4.7.1.40 with Exchange Server and BES (4.5 I believe).

Any email having an attachment will not display the message body - instead it seems to be in the unreadable "text/plain" attachment. My workaround is to forward it to a gmail account accessible from the Blackberry - then I can see the body.

Emails containing no attachments display the body properly.
    I'll try the DM attachment service remove/add, but I'm not hopeful.

Verizon tech support gave me bad advice - they wanted me to wipe the device, which I refused to do. As usual, they point their finger elsewhere, in this case at my IT department. Their lack of taking ownership to work the problem is very frustrating and disappointing.

07-16-09 01:24 AM
    My Tour shipped missing Attachment Services on both device and DM. After an hour on the phone with Verizon, they finally spoke to BB and the only solution they could come up with was to overnight me a new phone.
    07-16-09 11:50 AM
    It is the sending party's outlook settings. I'll repeat myself one more time. Google it and let me know when you find out I'm right.

07-16-09 01:01 PM
    Patches-

Can you post a hyperlink to the Google search you are referring to? I sure don't see anything.

Also, I went back to 148 and use the radio file from 151....no issue for the SAME EMAILS. The ones I couldn't read on 151, I can read when I use 148. So, can you provide some anecdotal evidence that it is the sender's Outlook?

It is quite difficult to change the sender's settings when you have a BES email account as I get many emails from different entities. I can't tell all my clients to change their outlook settings.

Anyway, not ranting, just more inquistive to what you are finding with the Google search you refer to....I simply can't find anything.

Also, for anyone using BES on Tmo, I highly recommend running 148 with the 151 radio, it is the best radio I have seen to date and I am a frequent traveler, including across the Pond.

Thx
    07-16-09 07:22 PM
    It is the sending party's outlook settings. I'll repeat myself one more time. Google it and let me know when you find out I'm right.

Not sure I agree with this. I had the same issue and my company uses Lotus Notes, not Outlook. I sent test emails from both Lotus Notes and Gmail. Both gave me the odd attachment. Switching back to .148 from .151 fixed problem for me.

07-16-09 07:49 PM
    There is a thread about it on here from awhile ago. Outlook has a setting about what kind of file to attach objective as. If its set to a particular setting then the attached file is only functional in outlook and nothing else. I don't have a PC until tomorrow so you're left to your own research until then. Tomorrow I'll post it after I find it.

07-16-09 08:24 PM

Had the same problem... Wiped the device and it worked just fine... No problems since! I've gone 2 days without a battery pull! That's a record!
    07-16-09 08:46 PM
    My friends are having the same issue's with theirs.
    07-16-09 08:53 PM
    I installed 148 with the 151 radio file, and that fixed this problem for me, while keeping much of the benefit of 151 (excellent memory management, no color banding, etc.). I imagine just replacing a few specific files in 151 with their counterparts from 148 would also have done the trick, but I have no idea what those files are. If someone has a better fix that allows you to keep 151 please post. Thanks!
    07-20-09 09:48 AM
    Same problem here. Sure would be nice to have a fix. I have a Storm and a Tour, so just for kicks I sent the same message that I was having problems with to both devices. It showed up fine on the Storm and got the "text/plain" attachment on the Tour. So I forwarded the email from the Storm to the Tour and it showed up fine. Weird. I'm new to BlackBerrys so I don't know how to check the OS versions I believe everyone is referencing (148/151), but the Storm is 6 months old and the Tour is brand new.

My experience is that most HTML emails come across fine, while others (with in-line images) get converted into the "text/plain" attachment.
    07-20-09 06:08 PM
    Patches, this has nothing to do with sending from Outlook. We have 15 plus Blackberry 9630 devices on a Domino 6.5.6 BES and we are experiencing the same problem. To recap, From the Blackberry any email having an attachment will not display the message body - instead it seems to be in the unreadable "text/plain" attachment.
    07-21-09 02:47 PM
    after much discussion with RIM we determined it was one of the 5.0100 files not sure which one go to an update or hybrid without that version and it should work
    07-21-09 03:01 PM
    Daryey,

what are you referring to when you say 5.0100 files? Is it the 0S version, the BES version, the DM OS version? What do you mean by hybrid? Are your devices on a BES and if yes what mail system?
    07-21-09 06:14 PM
    Anyone ever find a fix for this? I fixed by downgrading from .151 back to .148. However, after loading up 5.0.0.140, the problem has returned.

Would really like to keep 5.0. This is the only problem I have with it, but this really limits the usefulness for work.

I'm on BES, if that's useful information.
    07-23-09 09:01 PM
    Shafer, the issue in our environment was resolved by removing a third party application off of the 9630 smartphone. Once removed the body in the email, with the attachment, was viewable. For kicks and grin we tested this three different times with three different 9630s; with the app installed the text in the body was not viewable and after the app was removed, the body was viewable. The vendor of the app recognize this issue and stated that the 9630, running OS 4.7.1 or higher is not supported, yet. They will work on updating their application code. If you have any company required applications that were installed after you received the smartphone you may want to remove them and send yourself an email test. Let us know what you find.
    07-28-09 01:31 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD