View Poll Results: Is .99 a Winner or a Loser?

Voters
960. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winner - Excellent Install!

825 85.94%
  • Loser - Don't waste your time or effort!

135 14.06%
    the thing that is sad is that there are so many users out there who have no idea how to update their own OS and would never take the time to do so anyway - - point being, there are a lot of ppl out there running .75 and are frustrated but don't know there are leaks out there! I am not knocking .75 it works for some people - but for anyone who is frustrated bc they have a slow device, leaks might not be a viable option

There was no frustration from me. Up until last night I was rocking with 75. My system kicked **** and it took names. I had no issues, no complaints, and I was well aware of the leaks and the possible inheritance of bugs and such. But just playing around I installed 99 into my PC a week ago. I also installed crack mem3.3 just to say I have it and I played around a bit.

But last night I forgot all about those apps and plugged my phone into the PC and APP LOADER started running. My phone started doing it's thing and I was toast!

20 minutes later I'm running 99. . . . . . .and loving it!
    02-06-09 08:51 AM
    so far so good !!
    02-06-09 09:37 AM
    Not far me i downgraded back to .90 everytime i try to text,look at youtube ect my phone would freeze or reboot..im staying with .90..
    02-06-09 12:19 PM
    so far is the best os upgrade. installed it on 2-1 and loving it!
    02-06-09 01:05 PM
    Great upgrade. Even Word Mole doesn't freeze the unit anymore.
    02-06-09 01:48 PM
    Welp! I WAS loving .99 until today. Four random freezes w/in 6 hrs for no reason at all. Just picked up the phone and it was frozen. Once my alarm was going off and I never stopped it (b/c I like that song) and the screen dimmed out, when I touched the screen it took about 20 secs just to get itself together and light up. Not promising at all!
    02-06-09 01:57 PM
    Also, I'm having major issues w/ DM picking up on my device being connected.
    02-06-09 01:58 PM
    It's working good for me.
    02-06-09 02:43 PM

20 minutes later I'm running 99. . . . . . .and loving it!
    Everyone loves most of these releases for the first 20 minites . . . until the bugs start to surface.
    02-06-09 09:19 PM
    Welp! I WAS loving .99 until today. Four random freezes w/in 6 hrs for no reason at all. Just picked up the phone and it was frozen. Once my alarm was going off and I never stopped it (b/c I like that song) and the screen dimmed out, when I touched the screen it took about 20 secs just to get itself together and light up. Not promising at all!
    Phone locked up in the holster three times today . . . . hope .109 leaks by Sunday night or I am doing a wipe/fresh install or reverting to .90
    02-06-09 09:21 PM
    If .99 was official I'd be posting on a curve forum right now... Enough said. I'm just glad my storm didn't reset so I could finish this. I can't wait to get home (trucker) to downgrade, although I'm sure I'll have the next leak instead.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 11:55 PM
    Great upgrade so far for me!
    02-07-09 01:44 AM
    Who the **** wanted smaller letters on their keyboard? I guess .99 was made for Smurfs!
    02-07-09 01:54 AM
    Dowloaded last night. Was extremely happy with the lack of memory leaks had some initial problems with BBM. This morning is a different story. I have had to do 8 battery pulls in the past hour due to freezing. I use BBM a lot and it seemed to freeze because of that. Also freezes in landscape mode and tried to answer a phone call, they couldn't hear me. But at least the camera is faster
    02-07-09 08:03 AM
    I been running 99 for about a week now and I'm loving it.
    02-07-09 01:31 PM
    Not one single 'battery pull' after using since the leak.
    Battery life is better as well.
    Camera works like it is supposed to.
    Keyboard is much easier to use.
    Another step toward official release.
    02-07-09 04:40 PM
    Works fine for about 2 hours. Then:

1. Huge memory burden
    2. Starts s..l...o...w...i.....n......g down BAD! Why is this phone so flippin' slow???
    3. Still have to reset phone to get sound back in stereo.
    4. Still takes forever just to use / answer phone.

Hopefully the folks at RIM are reading these threads. Let's hope.
    02-07-09 05:23 PM
    I like .99 but started having freezing problem once I installed a few apps. I uninstalled them only to have my phone continue to freeze up. I did a complete wipe and now Desktop Manager won't recognize my phone for me to reinstall .99. It's pretty much useless. I called Verizon and they're shipping me a replacement. I was a little nervous because I didn't want to tell them that I had .99 lol.
    02-07-09 05:46 PM
    Curious, I have seen some posts where it's mentioned that a full wipe was performed prior to .99 upgrade and those seem to be the .99 die hards. Maybe users that have upgraded over 1 or more previous OS's w/out performing a full wipe might be having the issues the others are not. I personally went from .75 straight to .86 and am for the most part happy. Only major complaint I have is answering an incoming call takes a few presses of the ANSWER button. I am really tempted to go with .99 but if I do, it will be after a full wipe.

STORM 9530 - T-mobile
    CURVE 8320 - T-mobile
    02-07-09 06:01 PM
    Winner -
    Had palms since first Pilot>III>T3>Treo650 > BB8830 since 06
    Lurked on CB for a few weeks reading all about the Storm
    Bought the 9530 as the 8830 was starting to crash � real hardware problems � trackball and buttons flaking out!

Bought Storm Superbowl Saturday and upgraded Tuesday - no problems since 0.99
    It was real helpful to have this site.

This is a great phone and a great group
    Special thanks to:
    � Rooster � for the great tutorials and the humor
    � DonNguyen � for the guide to upgrading
    � Pete6 � for CrackMem
    � Phrehnck � for logmaid
    � imann101 � for the consolidated tips/posts
    � Crucial_Xtreme, Sith_Apprentice, sooks, fonebrkr, JRSCCivic98, JeffH and other real troopers � for lots of posts and putting up with a lot
    02-07-09 08:17 PM
    Ok, I performed wipe with JL CMder and took me back to .75. I then got to .99 and what appeared to be a working Storm until I attempted to use the browser. I should also mention before the wipe I was running .86 just fine with no major gripes. Internet pages loaded just fine. I have resent the service books, I have ensured wap.voicestream.com is entered under TCP as I am a Tmobile user and no joy. I get a message after several minutes of trying to load a page that "the internet connection could not be established". "EDGE" is populated at the top as well. Before I go back to .86 wanted to know if anyone else has seen this?

Thx in advance
    02-07-09 11:36 PM
    I like .99 but started having freezing problem once I installed a few apps. I uninstalled them only to have my phone continue to freeze up. I did a complete wipe and now Desktop Manager won't recognize my phone for me to reinstall .99. It's pretty much useless. I called Verizon and they're shipping me a replacement. I was a little nervous because I didn't want to tell them that I had .99 lol.
    Did you try installing directly using the loader.exe app in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader?

Jim H.
    02-08-09 12:15 PM
    everything seems to work pretty good so far but i cant figure out how to get t9 back on my storm. . . . i've done the whole, "options,language, selecting and unselecting, changing the keyboard to multi, but still cant get it to work. a little bummed. anyone have any other suggestions besides downgrading back to .75?? i never had any issues with it. . .
    02-08-09 01:11 PM
    Perhaps not ready for official release, but the best yet by far!
    So far I've had only one day where the phone seemed to be a bit tempermental, but has been near flawless with just one battery pull. WINNER in my book!
    Last edited by MEATLOAFS; 02-08-09 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
    02-08-09 01:19 PM
    Perhaps not ready for official release, but the best yet by far!
    So far I've had only one day where the phone seemed to be a it tempermental, but has been near flawless with just one battery pull. WINNER in my book!
    How many days have you been running it, just out of curiosity? It worked pretty well for me the first three days and then went downhill fast after that.
    02-08-09 01:20 PM
251 ... 7891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD