And, as I said earlier, IF VZW releases an os with this issue, they will hear from me.
    And i'm am so sure they will care.....

For one thing, VZW has nothing to do with the dithering (the proper term for "color banding"), the company that writes the OS and builds the Blackberry is known as Research In Motion. No more a part of VZW than Samsung, LG, Nokia, etc.

Second of all, the device still operates in 16-bit color mode. Watch a video in media player and that is plainly evident.

The Storm is advertised as displaying 65,536 colors.... AND IT DOES. Dithering GUI bitmaps does not equal running at a lower depth. If the device were running at a lower color depth, EVERYTHING running on the device would show at a lower color depth.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 05-29-09 at 11:20 AM.
    05-29-09 11:17 AM
    Hey, some of us honestly just don't care. Would it be nice? Sure! It would be nice to have fast smooth hardware accelerated graphics and fx. And it's not beyond the capabilities of the hardware.

But is it a deal breaker? For me, no. For some, absolutely.

If ANYONE finds the GUI color depth of their phone to be a deal breaker (and a reason to stop using the device); then they've got MUCH bigger issues than just a less colorful phone GUI.

OCD is a REAL disorder. Not NORMAL.
    05-29-09 11:19 AM
    And i'm am so sure they will care.....

For one thing, VZW has nothing to do with the dithering (the proper term for "color banding"), the company that writes the OS and builds the Blackberry is known as Research In Motion. No more a part of VZW than Samsung, LG, Nokia, etc.

Second of all, the device still operates in 16-bit color mode. Watch a video in media player and that is plainly evident.

The Storm is advertised as displaying 65,536 colors.... AND IT DOES. Dithering GUI bitmaps does not equal running at a lower depth. If the device were running at a lower color depth, EVERYTHING running on the device would show at a lower color depth.
    As VZW has to support all BB's on its network and approves all updates, they should care, even if they aren't the ones who develop the OS software.

Debating the semantics and technicalities behind this issue is not something I want to get into. Instead, I want the phone's GUI to look at least as good as the one on the device I bought. Simple as that.
    05-29-09 11:28 AM
    As VZW has to support all BB's on its network and approves all updates, they should care, even if they aren't the ones who develop the OS software.

Debating the semantics and technicalities behind this issue is not something I want to get into. Instead, I want the phone's GUI to look at least as good as the one on the device I bought. Simple as that.
    If you buy a car advertised as having 500HP, and find out it's only pushing 400HP at the crank, are you going to complain to the dealer, or are you going to call up the customer service for the car company?

Same principal, VZW sells and supports the device, they DO NOT code the OS, and considering RIM reduced the GUI color depth in .90 and didn't raise it back up, it's obviously a sacrifice they felt they had to make. Who knows if they'll bring it back in 5.0. If you want to raise ****, call RIM, not Verizon.

The banding all boils down to sacrifice, something had to be sacrificed to bring phone performance up to an acceptable level. Rewriting the OS to support OpenGL or what not wasn't an option, so they did what they had to do.

I can understand the frustration of some users, but the pros of the reduction in color depth outweigh the cons by a landslide.

And regarding semantics, Dave is incorrect, dithering isn't banding, it's what they use to prevent banding from being visible. It's when they use noise (a crapload of dots/speckles) in an image to smooth gradients and color fades. Here's a perfect example.

If RIM used dithering a little more, it might help quell some of the complaints actually.
    05-29-09 12:25 PM
    If you buy a car advertised as having 500HP, and find out it's only pushing 400HP at the crank, are you going to complain to the dealer, or are you going to call up the customer service for the car company?

Same principal, VZW sells and supports the device, they DO NOT code the OS, and considering RIM reduced the GUI color depth in .90 and didn't raise it back up, it's obviously a sacrifice they felt they had to make. Who knows if they'll bring it back in 5.0. If you want to raise ****, call RIM, not Verizon.

The banding all boils down to sacrifice, something had to be sacrificed to bring phone performance up to an acceptable level. Rewriting the OS to support OpenGL or what not wasn't an option, so they did what they had to do.

I can understand the frustration of some users, but the pros of the reduction in color depth outweigh the cons by a landslide.

And regarding semantics, Dave is incorrect, dithering isn't banding, it's what they use to prevent banding from being visible. It's when they use noise (a crapload of dots/speckles) in an image to smooth gradients and color fades. Here's a perfect example.

If RIM used dithering a little more, it might help quell some of the complaints actually.
    So rather than actually fix the OS to support the graphics chip that is currently NOT being used whatsoever, we should just accept the reduced color depth.

I paid for a phone with 65k colors, not 65k colors on most parts, except for the main screen.

They're putting a band-aid on a gaping wound, that the OS we have is just the Bold OS with some touch screen stuff thrown in. It needed to be redone from the ground up, not adapted as they did.
    05-29-09 12:33 PM
    i've said this before, but the bottom line is that they removed the gradient color and didn't use the graphics chip for a reason. we don't know that reason, and we assume it to be performance. unless you can get a RIM dev to discuss it, we prolly will never know. but they don't do stuff for no reason at all. the time and cost to change this kind of stuff is enormous, so it only makes sense that there is a purpose to it.
    05-29-09 12:38 PM
    Sounds like a good idea to me! I'd opt for speed.
    heck yeah. low res during the week, high res for the weekend
    05-29-09 12:42 PM
    i've said this before, but the bottom line is that they removed the gradient color and didn't use the graphics chip for a reason. we don't know that reason, and we assume it to be performance. unless you can get a RIM dev to discuss it, we prolly will never know. but they don't do stuff for no reason at all. the time and cost to change this kind of stuff is enormous, so it only makes sense that there is a purpose to it.
    Yeah, unloading graphics work from the cpu to the gpu which is designed to render images as it's primary job would totally slow things down... Try playing a computer game with software (cpu) rendering and tell me how nice it is.

I'm just saying that RIM didn't enable the graphics chip because their coders couldn't get it done in time for the phone's release. Not saying that they're bad at doing their jobs here. I mean these people took 6 months to get an update out that didn't' have some major, impossible to overlook flaw. I understand cell phones are very complex, buy for Christ's sake, it's like they're shooting themselves in the foot when a device doesn't support all of IT'S OWN hardware.
    05-29-09 12:46 PM
    With .90, .103, .109, .132, I saw the "color banding".. While I noticed it, it really didn't totally bother me, because I only saw it on the lock screen when landscaped, or the the media player's initial screen (where you select video, pictures, music, ring tones), or the halo around the selected icon, key on the keyboard, or menu item.

When I had a home screen wall paper that was a photo or other picture, it didn't impact me.

It didn't have an effect on watching videos, or viewing pictures/photos.

When .148 came out, I wiped and RestToFactory using Javaloader. I then flashed .75, played with it for about 5 min, wiped and RestToFactory again, and then loaded .148.

( FLAME SUIT ON!! )

I honestly don't see it with .148 like I did with the other leaks.

If .148 still has it, it is so subtle that I can can't see it. Its gone from the lock screen in landscape, not in the media app's screen, not there when I'm making a menu selection.

I'd liken it to... if 75 is 16bit color (64k), then .90 thru .132 are 8bit color (256), and if .148 isn't 16bit, then its 15bit (32k), and certainly not 8bit.

The only place I kind of see it, if I look for it, is the halo around the selected icon on the home screen.
    05-29-09 12:50 PM
    i stick with my theory that if VZW stuck with the testing process and failed the storm a la xv 6800, then we STILL wouldn't have it, but idk if any of these issues we're seeing would have been prevented.

CX made some statement about "if VZW/other carriers didn't release the device too soon", essentially stating that things would have been handled differently internally at RIM...I think this is just how it would have been handled either way. release or no release, RIM will work the way they do. if that means the "banding" or dithering or graphics chip, whatever...

its an improvement over what's available currently, and things will progress. this is just one notch on the berry evolutionary process...one that will take us all on the ride of RIM's

WORLD DOMINATION!!!
    05-29-09 12:58 PM
    Once again people are using the wrong metaphors.

This is more like you owning a nice, solid car with leather seats, taking it to dealership for a tuneup only to have it returned with upholstery. And I'd complain to the dealership about that.

Not once have I demanded that RIM use a graphics chip or composited/3d rendered interface. Please stop lumping me in with the "I WANT MY STORM TO BE AN iPHONE" crowd, its insulting.
    05-29-09 01:05 PM

This is more like you owning a nice, solid car with leather seats, taking it to dealership for a tuneup only to have it returned with upholstery. And I'd complain to the dealership about that.

Not once have I demanded that RIM use a graphics chip or composited/3d rendered interface. Please stop lumping me in with the "I WANT MY STORM TO BE AN iPHONE" crowd, its insulting.

Exactly, we paid for 65k colors, and we deserve 65k colors in EVERY part of the phone.
    05-29-09 01:13 PM
    so how do you productively propose that they accomplish this? constructive criticism is welcome, but this is becoming borderline ********...figure out how to get it to work AND keep the performance at or above where it is now with .148 and you've just won the lottery.
    05-29-09 01:21 PM
    so how do you productively propose that they accomplish this? constructive criticism is welcome, but this is becoming borderline ********...figure out how to get it to work AND keep the performance at or above where it is now with .148 and you've just won the lottery.
    As a newbie, I can say this...gimme a phone that doesn't freeze!!! Banding be damned, I wanna phone that works!
    05-29-09 01:24 PM
    roger that, vegas!
    05-29-09 01:32 PM
    And that is a question I think should have been addressed before sending an update out. Even if RIM pushed this to carriers, its up to the carrier to say no.

Aside from a slowness, .75 functioned perfectly for me. No crashes whatsoever. It would be stupid to attribute all of the OS's speed improvements to the introduction of color banding since speed has been increasing, still, since its introduction.

If Verizon is content in putting a better, albeit flawed/regressed product out to its customers, they should be prepared for complaints. Will users even be told ahead of time that there will be a drop in GUI image quality? We'll see come Sunday.

And it only turned into ******** once people started piling on and accusing us of asking for the impossible. All I know is, hardware wise, this phone isn't a slouch, yet every other smartphone on the market seems to be able to balance performance and graphics.
    05-29-09 02:04 PM
    And that is a question I think should have been addressed before sending an update out. Even if RIM pushed this to carriers, its up to the carrier to say no.

Aside from a slowness, .75 functioned perfectly for me. No crashes whatsoever. It would be stupid to attribute all of the OS's speed improvements to the introduction of color banding since speed has been increasing, still, since its introduction.

If Verizon is content in putting a better, albeit flawed/regressed product out to its customers, they should be prepared for complaints. Will users even be told ahead of time that there will be a drop in GUI image quality? We'll see come Sunday.

And it only turned into ******** once people started piling on and accusing us of asking for the impossible. All I know is, hardware wise, this phone isn't a slouch, yet every other smartphone on the market seems to be able to balance performance and graphics.
    well to play the part of the carrier, there are bigger fish to fry than the color "banding"...like crashing, and sluggish to the point where it's inoperable. people will return the device as is with .75 based on those issues, i doubt that many returns are the result of color banding...from a business standpoint, this release is a great step forward. that's basically where they stand, and i agree with them. i'd rather have a functional device that is fast and worth using than have a slow phone that looks cool.
    05-29-09 02:19 PM
    So rather than actually fix the OS to support the graphics chip that is currently NOT being used whatsoever, we should just accept the reduced color depth.

I paid for a phone with 65k colors, not 65k colors on most parts, except for the main screen.

They're putting a band-aid on a gaping wound, that the OS we have is just the Bold OS with some touch screen stuff thrown in. It needed to be redone from the ground up, not adapted as they did.
    No, you paid for a device that "Supports over 65,000 colors."

And in case you missed it:
    Rewriting the OS to support OpenGL or what not wasn't an option, so they did what they had to do.
    That requires a very substantial rewrite of the code than handles the display. There was NO way that was going to happen in the 4.x OS builds. It might happen in 5.0, but there's not telling.
    05-29-09 02:23 PM

You completely and totally misunderstood my analogy. It wasn't relating to them changing the performance, it's relating to who you contact to complain to.

A more fitting analogy for you would be if you take your 500HP car in for recall work because it's performance isn't up to scratch (stalls, hesitates, etc) and they apply an ECU remap that drops HP down to 450. However, even though ultimate power is lower, the overall performance of the car is better (no stalling, power delivery is smooth, etc.)

In that situation you still wouldn't complain to the dealer, you'd complain to the manufacturer of the car (RIM).
    05-29-09 02:31 PM
    wait, RIM makes cars now???!!!!

wtf!!! i just bought my storm, they better give me an upgrade credit!
    05-29-09 02:41 PM

What, you didn't get the memo? Pfft, and you call yourself "kinda in the know."

05-29-09 02:43 PM
    hey, i only know VZW stuff...it must still be in network testing. not available for regular joels like us...
    05-29-09 02:44 PM
    You completely and totally misunderstood my analogy. It wasn't relating to them changing the performance, it's relating to who you contact to complain to.

A more fitting analogy for you would be if you take your 500HP car in for recall work because it's performance isn't up to scratch (stalls, hesitates, etc) and they apply an ECU remap that drops HP down to 450. However, even though ultimate power is lower, the overall performance of the car is better (no stalling, power delivery is smooth, etc.)

In that situation you still wouldn't complain to the dealer, you'd complain to the manufacturer of the car (RIM).
    The more I use (and see them used), I find that care analogies don't translate well to this situation (you don't need the dealership to run the car, for example).

I still say VZW is/should be, the preferred point of contact on this issue. They're the ones who feel the financial burden of returned handsets and exchanges/loss of customers. RIM is a little more insulated in that they have multiple handsets on multiple carriers, with a decent rep. I think complaints from VZW will yield better results than those from end users. But, heck, I'll complain to both. I doubt I'll see anything for a while.

CX, radio - can you tell us if color banding is present in future builds?
    05-29-09 02:45 PM

As funny as that is, It's not so far fetched. I mean, Apple did it, right?
    05-29-09 02:45 PM
    Does anyone have a screenshot of this "color banding"? Maybe I don't want to see it because I don't notice any color issues on my storm and I don't want to be unhappy, but I don't think I've ever seen it.
    Thats probably because you are using a decent theme instead of stock. The banding is a minor little thing that shows up around icons and selection boxes and the such. Instead of a smooth transition from the lighter areas to the darker ones, it has solid bands from light to dark. Personally I think it looks okay myself. They probably did it after .75 to increase performance. What ticks off some of the guys I think is the fact that the hardware is capable of video acceleration but it is not implemented in this iteration of the OS. If it was, there are not enough effects in the world to slow the phone down.

I would think if you are happy with your phone as it is, stay that way. If you find yourself noticing the banding now, get a good theme. The more menus the theme takes over, the less banding you will notice. Blackberry Pro V3 has almost none at all as and example and does not seem to have memory leaks, another favorite complaint around here. This problem will probably resolve itself if and when 5.0 comes out. It would be idiotic on RIMS part to not use the hardware capabilities of the chipset going into most of their newer phones. The phones hardware is just better than the phones software. Sort of like M$
    05-29-09 02:46 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD