This guide is written by me and comes straight from CrackBerry's BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series It is a very quick and easy method of upgrading/downgrading your BlackBerry's OS. Enjoy.

BlackBerry 101: How To Install or Upgrade to a New BlackBerry OS

Hello Class, today we're going to learn one of the most important procedures concerning your BlackBerry, but also one of the easiest. As CrackBerry Nation knows, RIM is constantly developing and testing new software for all of its devices. So as true CrackBerry addicts, we like to keep up with the latest and greatest. Today's lesson is another step-by-step guide on upgrading your device's Operating System(OS) using the Application Loader method. We already have a BlackBerry 101 that guides you through the upgrade process using RIM's BlackBerry Desktop Manager Software, but for many new to BlackBerry owners the AppLoader method is a bit simpler with less chance for error. Let the lesson begin!

First you will need to download the new BlackBerry OS to your computer. You can check for Official Software updates on BlackBerry's Download Site.

Select your provider, fill out the forms and save the file to your computer's desktop. Now as most of CrackBerry Nation knows, there are unofficial versions (betas, leaks) of RIM software floating around the interwebs. If you decide to install one of these versions you do so at your own risk and cannot count on your service provider to help with tech support. Sometimes these versions are full of bugs and other problems so be cautious. Once the file is downloaded double click the icon from the download and select RUN. You can and should always click into the CrackBerry Beta OS and Storm OS forums to do your homework before giving an unofficial release a go.

This process of installing the software to your computer will take a few minutes and you will need to select your preferred language and accept a license agreement. If you're using unofficial software or a software version from a different service provider other than your own, after the installation wizard is done you will need go to the Apploader folder and delete the Vendor.xml file. It can be found following this path:

C:/ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Apploade r.

Vista users is basically the same: C:\ProgramFiles(*86)/CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Apploader.

Now it is time to get the actual install process started. After the deletion of the Vendor.xml file (if needed) it's time to plug in your device to the computer via USB cable and then double click on the Loader.exe file.

The Application Loader Wizard will start up and you will need to select 'Next'.

The next step is to identify which communication port the device is connected to. The Wizard should automatically detect the port and should display USB and your PIN number. Select 'Next'.

Next the Application Loader Wizard will read your devices system configuration. If for some reason you happen to be downgrading a box will pop up and ask if you want to change the systems applications(OS) or leave them. You need to select 'Replace Devices Applications with older version'. If you are not downgrading you will see the Device Application Selection screen. Here you need to make sure applications such as BlackBerry Attachment Service, BlackBerry Messenger, and 3rd Party Application boxes are ticked, and any other applications you want installed to the device and select 'Next'.

Now it is time to make sure the Application Loader Wizard backs up and restores all information on your device. Select 'Automatically Back Up' and make sure you have them emails box checked if you want those restored also. Then select 'Next'.

Completing the Application Loader Wizard screen will come up next and and show you exactly what Applications are being installed. Make sure everything you want installed is selected and select 'Finish'.

This process, depending on what model device you have can take anywhere from 20-45 minutes. DO NOT UNPLUG the device from the computer and DO NOT UNPLUG the USB cable from the device. This will cause you to have a bricked device and definitely give you a headache. Just be patient. When the Application Loader Wizard is finished the Wizard will say Loading Operation is Complete. Then you may unplug your device and enjoy the new Operating System.
    blockbuy, Andy357 and howarmat like this.
    04-17-09 10:30 AM
    awesome post, CX! really easy to follow with the images!

thanks!
    04-17-09 10:32 AM
    awesome post, CX! really easy to follow with the images!

thanks!
    Thank you Chrisy. The goal of this guide was to simplify the upgrade/downgrade process as much as possible. I personally use this process and don't fool with the DM when upgrading or downgrading. Much easier and quicker. Thanks again.
    04-17-09 10:40 AM
    I never used this method before. I always used DM to upgrade. I will definately try this next time.
    04-17-09 11:01 AM
    really dumb question, but where do you get the app loader from does it come with the os download or is it already install thru the DM
    04-17-09 11:43 AM
    really dumb question, but where do you get the app loader from does it come with the os download or is it already install thru the DM
    The Apploader is in the files with the operating system. Just follow the instructions and everything will be fine.
    04-17-09 02:24 PM
    Does this method back up your contacts as well as third party apps? Also, if a restore is needed, do you have to do that through DM?
    04-17-09 04:39 PM
    Does this method back up your contacts as well as third party apps? Also, if a restore is needed, do you have to do that through DM?
    Yes the method backs up all information. You just need to make sure when that screen comes up you select yes. After the Apploader Wizard has installed the software to the device and the device initializes and boots back up, it restores the information it backed up. The odds of bricking you device with this method is slim to none. Whereas with the DM, it happens all the time.
    04-17-09 04:56 PM
    Ok, my first post so be easy...

I just updated from my original firmware to 122. I selected the option to back up all my applications and everything so I dont lose them.

The update couldn't of gone smoother and I'm on the 122 build now but all my apps and contacts and pictures etc, are now gone.

Is there any way to restore them? The Loader created an .ipd file as per my request titled LoaderBackup-(2009-04-17).ipd but I dont know if that is any use.

Help

Edit: I used the .ipd file to restore with the Blackberry Desktop Manager. It restored all my personal information such as contacts and pictures, but ALL of my third party apps are gone! And I had several of them. Is there any way to get them back w/o redownloading?
    Last edited by andrewtr89; 04-17-09 at 07:27 PM.
    04-17-09 06:48 PM
    Thanks Man that was really easy and less stressfull than updating through DM.
    04-17-09 07:16 PM
    Yes the method backs up all information. You just need to make sure when that screen comes up you select yes. After the Apploader Wizard has installed the software to the device and the device initializes and boots back up, it restores the information it backed up. The odds of bricking you device with this method is slim to none. Whereas with the DM, it happens all the time.
    Thanks CX - this is too easy.
    04-17-09 08:46 PM
    CX- LOVE THIS. 1000% faster then using the Desktop software. I always do my own 3rd party and overall backup any how just in case, but this works great. As always, great FAQ.

Also, if you are on a BES, (and its set up correctly with the desktop software connected to your work outlook profile, the company you work for allows for automatic reactivation), all you have to do after the update is open your outlook well connected to your companies network, (direct connect or threw a vpn), open the desktop software, and boom, the BES should automatically should reconnect after a few mins. . very nice. I normally let it finish the reactivation and then restore my data and I am good to go. NICE!
    04-17-09 09:14 PM
    ok so I have desktop software 4.7, I downloaded .122 tried using the app loader it does not find any software to install on my device, and yes I have deleted the vendor file, I have also tried to use the desktop software is says there is software to update and then dosn't install. should I downgrade my desktop manager and try?
    04-17-09 10:16 PM
    CX, thank you so so so very much. This was WAY too easy, and so far everything is working as it should... so far....

The pics were great and actually alerted me to something I was doing wrong in the beginning but was able to fix b/c the screen shots didn't match up. You're a lifesaver!
    04-18-09 12:13 AM
    I have read so many different answers on this, I was wondering if there could be a definitive, once and for all answer. Does DM wipe the old OS and there is not a need to do this manually. Is this the same using the App Loader?
    Last edited by Ultrafied; 04-18-09 at 11:37 AM.
    04-18-09 10:52 AM
    I have tried. Really I did. All morning long. It did not work for me. I am still on .75....
    04-18-09 11:17 AM
    Very informative tutorial! When I double click the new OS .exe file, it goes through its thing and then once it gets to "copying files", I get this error. I tried running as admin as well, but get the same error...Im on Vista.... Has anyone had this happen or does anyone know how to fix it??

Thanks in advance
    04-18-09 11:19 AM
    I just have to thank everyone here for the help in updating my OS ... loving .122 so far!!
    04-18-09 12:48 PM
    Very informative tutorial! When I double click the new OS .exe file, it goes through its thing and then once it gets to "copying files", I get this error. I tried running as admin as well, but get the same error...Im on Vista.... Has anyone had this happen or does anyone know how to fix it??

Thanks in advance
    Make sure you have deleted the Vendor.xml file. Reboot the computer and make sure you run as admin. I'm not the most familiar with Vista, but the pic above means you weren't running as an admin. Post back and let us know how it goes.
    04-18-09 03:22 PM
    i cant find the software updates on the blackberry site?? i want to upgrade to .122 or is that like an unofficial one?
    Last edited by GreekElite; 04-18-09 at 04:55 PM.
    04-18-09 04:31 PM

Thanks in advance
    I ran my update on Vista and did not have a problem, so it's probably not Vista...
    04-18-09 04:44 PM
    I've always used DM to upgrade my Curve. I just got a Storm 2 days ago and am one of the unlucky ones having trouble with shutting down/rebooting. I upgraded to .122 and still the problem. So now I'm downgrading back to the original OS and heading to Verizon. Hopefully the replacement they give me will work.

Thanks for the how-to, so so so much easier that using DM. And way faster. Using DM used to take 45 mins, at least. My Storm downgraded in about 15. Everytime someone I know tells me they have a BB, I make sure they know about this site.
    04-18-09 06:09 PM
    ok so I have desktop software 4.7, I downloaded .122 tried using the app loader it does not find any software to install on my device, and yes I have deleted the vendor file, I have also tried to use the desktop software is says there is software to update and then dosn't install. should I downgrade my desktop manager and try?
    i am having same issue where software is not there, it only gives me third party apps to update. I followed instructions to a T, but still not working properly. Any advice?
    04-19-09 12:37 PM
    Hi CX,

Thank you for the excellent guide. My storm is just under 48 hours old and came with .75 OS and I have upgraded to .122 from Bell. It took about 20 minutes to do the entire process (the longest steps were the last two - "Wait for Device Initialization" and "Restore device data"). So far it's working perfectly. This is my first BB (my first PDA/Smartphone!) and you made this process a breeze for this noob.
    04-19-09 12:52 PM
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! This was so easy to do and I really love the improvements it made to my storm. I haven't posted before, but thought now was the perfect time.
    04-19-09 03:18 PM
162 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD