A lot of people have been having issues with their DM or AppLoader programs while running later version OS's. Most have been able to get to the list of items on the phone, and then when going to populate the list with the new OS it give a "Fatal Error" and has to shut down.

This is a solution for you to be able to load an OS on your phone, but DO NOT use this every time you load an OS unless you really have to. I would personally go through all of the steps to try to get your DM or AppLoader to work correctly before resorting to this method, but if you must, you must.

WARNING - By loading an OS this way you will lose all third-party apps. BACKUP your phone before doing this as it will wipe all of your setting, contacts, mail setting and basically and data on your phone.

INSTRUCTIONS (You better have backed up your phone already!)

1) Take the battery out of your Storm

2) On your computer, go to Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>AppLoader and open up the Loader.exe

3) Plug your phone into your computer with the battery still OUT

4) Click "Next"

5) Your drop down menu will either read "unknown" or it will display your PIN. Hit "Next"

6) If you have a password, enter it and hit "Next". If you dont have one skip this step

7) You will see the Loader.exe trying to connect to the device, immediately put the battery back into the phone

8) The list of items should be the next screen to come up! If the OS on the screen is not the one you wanted, or if there is no OS software on the list, you can click the "Add..." button, find the folder the OS you want is in and open all files in that folder.

9) Once the list is populated with all of the software that you want, be sure to check or uncheck to your specifications

10) Hit "Next"

11) After its done loading you will have to use DM to restore all of your data, and then go and get your apps back from wherever you originally downloaded them from

Hope this helps.
    vx1 likes this.
    04-15-09 03:32 PM
    Thank you for the instructions.

For some reason the new handheld 8330 verizon just sent me needed this 'fix' to upload the OS.

Respect.
    04-26-09 06:17 PM
    Great thread, very useful.
    04-29-09 12:34 AM
    very useful, thanks
    04-29-09 12:42 AM
    I followed the instructions. Any other ideas? I am getting the error "Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation."

I have tried eveyrthing I have seen on the site. Am I missing something or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by andybrydon; 04-29-09 at 10:36 PM.
    04-29-09 10:32 PM
    these are the same steps as the BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry
    04-30-09 02:08 PM
    Check out my signature
    04-30-09 02:32 PM
    these are the same steps as the BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry
    Yes, they are basically the same steps, but the reasoning for starting this thread with that title is for those who are searching on a fix for that specific issue.

At the time I posted this, a whole bunch of people were running into this problem, so why not help them out all at once, right?
    04-30-09 02:43 PM
    The title of this threads makes me think this is comparable to raping your device...

Which gives new meaning to "technophile".

Hehe

04-30-09 02:45 PM
    Thank you very much. This saved me. Who would have thought to take the battery OUT. I appreciate it very much.

A lot of people have been having issues with their DM or AppLoader programs while running later version OS's. Most have been able to get to the list of items on the phone, and then when going to populate the list with the new OS it give a "Fatal Error" and has to shut down.

This is a solution for you to be able to load an OS on your phone, but DO NOT use this every time you load an OS unless you really have to. I would personally go through all of the steps to try to get your DM or AppLoader to work correctly before resorting to this method, but if you must, you must.

WARNING - By loading an OS this way you will lose all third-party apps. BACKUP your phone before doing this as it will wipe all of your setting, contacts, mail setting and basically and data on your phone.

INSTRUCTIONS (You better have backed up your phone already!)

1) Take the battery out of your Storm

2) On your computer, go to Program Files>Common Files>Research In Motion>AppLoader and open up the Loader.exe

3) Plug your phone into your computer with the battery still OUT

4) Click "Next"

5) Your drop down menu will either read "unknown" or it will display your PIN. Hit "Next"

6) If you have a password, enter it and hit "Next". If you dont have one skip this step

7) You will see the Loader.exe trying to connect to the device, immediately put the battery back into the phone

8) The list of items should be the next screen to come up! If the OS on the screen is not the one you wanted, or if there is no OS software on the list, you can click the "Add..." button, find the folder the OS you want is in and open all files in that folder.

9) Once the list is populated with all of the software that you want, be sure to check or uncheck to your specifications

10) Hit "Next"

11) After its done loading you will have to use DM to restore all of your data, and then go and get your apps back from wherever you originally downloaded them from

Hope this helps.
    05-24-09 10:51 PM
    please help me i did all the steps and still not working!!!1
    05-25-09 07:43 PM
    please help me i did all the steps and still not working!!!1
    I just used this yesterday. What is the problem you're experiencing?
    05-25-09 08:17 PM
    mines isnt working either. it goes through all the steps until "waiting for device initialization" and the storm shows the loading square then goes back to the reload software: 507 screen. then the loader says "failed to reconnect to device durin multi stage opperation"
    please help me!
    06-01-09 11:01 PM
    After 10hrs of frustration....lol....this thread also works for the Pearl 8130 from Verizon.....Thanks soo much.....Thank God I backed everything up first...
    06-02-09 11:33 PM
    Thank you very much for this. It saved my Storm when I was messing around with a hybrid and was stuck at a white screen.
    07-03-09 03:00 AM
    ok this might be a stupid question but when i go to add to find the OS, the folder where i saved the new OS has nothing in it. I saved it in a specific folder and on my desktop but it's not showing anywhere...any suggestions?
    07-30-09 06:49 PM
    Nice tutorial..unfortunately I've had ato use this menu a few times.
    07-30-09 07:57 PM
    ok my problem is that my handheld wipped out the software after the 10 password tris but i didnt reload any os...the wen it says to go to "add" and search for the software...where do i get the OS??
    08-24-09 01:08 PM
    oh thanks!!! helped ALOT
    but just wondering how come its bad to do it this way?
    08-31-09 04:25 AM
    I am trying to downgrade my bold to 4.6.0.301 from 5.0.0.190. Each time the apploader tries to connect to boot rom the bold reboots and I cant get OS on to it.
    Anyone have any suggestions? Several hours now trying everything I know.
    How do I really get 5.0 off the device? The boot screen is still 5.0 and its seen there but boots to reload software screen.
    HELP?
    09-15-09 09:18 AM
    I am trying to downgrade my bold to 4.6.0.301 from 5.0.0.190. Each time the apploader tries to connect to boot rom the bold reboots and I cant get OS on to it.
    Anyone have any suggestions? Several hours now trying everything I know.
    How do I really get 5.0 off the device? The boot screen is still 5.0 and its seen there but boots to reload software screen.
    HELP?

Download BBSAK or JLcmdr and do a complete wipe of the phone and then try again.
    09-15-09 10:19 AM
    ok my problem is that my handheld wipped out the software after the 10 password tris but i didnt reload any os...the wen it says to go to "add" and search for the software...where do i get the OS??
    You have to download and install the OS to your computer prior to plugging the phone in and trying to update.

If you already did that, go here for your OS folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared
    Last edited by z06mike; 09-15-09 at 10:30 AM.
    09-15-09 10:20 AM
    Thanks. Been using all since 6am. Cant install ANY OS. Each time anything tries to connect the device reboots. period.
    09-15-09 10:24 AM
    ok this might be a stupid question but when i go to add to find the OS, the folder where i saved the new OS has nothing in it. I saved it in a specific folder and on my desktop but it's not showing anywhere...any suggestions?
    Did you actually install the OS to your computer? If not, then you will need to run the installer on your PC. After that the loader will automatically pick up the OS. If not, as the OP stated, click add in the loader and select all files from your OS folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared and from there you can check to install or remove features you want.
    09-15-09 10:26 AM
    Thanks. Been using all since 6am. Cant install ANY OS. Each time anything tries to connect the device reboots. period.
    Hopefully that works for you.
    09-15-09 10:27 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD