184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Downgraded Just Fine

124 67.39%
  • Did Not Work

27 14.67%
  • Dunno What I'm Doing!

33 17.93%
    Greetings Folks,

Seems like each day brings more and more threads requesting info on how to downgrade from the latest leaked/beta OS back to an official release. Given this, I thought I would make myself useful and do a step-by-step guide.

BEFORE YOU GET STARTED...
    1. If you are new to BB, you prolly should avoid playing around with your BB's OS and just wait out the official releases.

2. In order to upgrade/downgrade OS, you really do need to know a bit about your device AND your computer. If you do not, please save yourself the hassle and stay away from trying OS updates and, prolly, inevitable downgrades.

3. Stay calm and take deep breaths into your belly! This will keep a good flow of oxygen in your brain to help you most likely avoid panic if you mess up.

4. And most important, I do not recommend OS upgrades/downgrades to anyone, especially new folks, and I certainly do not take any responsibility for bricked or other malfunctioning phones.

That being said... here goes-

STEP ONE:
    Back it up. Go to Desktop Manager (hereafter referred to as DM) and back up your device.
    Here's a link to guide you thru backing up third party apps http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

Before we get to step two, if you have run into problems in step one, STOP IMMEDIATELY! If you encountered any trouble in figuring out how to backup your device and/or third party apps, you really, really, shouldn't be trying this or any other upgrade for that matter. Seriously, not trying to be snotty, just trying to save you the hassle.

STEP TWO:

Uninstall the OS that you are trying to downgrade from, from your computer.
    If you are running XP go to control panel > add/remove programs. If you are running vista go to control panel > programs and features.
    See yellow highlight in pic below. Be sure that you are choosing DEVICE SOFTWARE, not the DESKTOP MANAGER.

Once the uninstall has finished, restart your computer.

STEP THREE:
    Now that your computer is OS free, download the official version that you would like to install. I'm guessing folks are going for the latest .75 version. You can download it here BlackBerry® Software Updates

Once the OS has downloaded, run the install by following the onscreen instructions.

STEP FOUR:

Plug your storm in and open DM.
    Click on Application Loader

Hit start

Once you do, the below screen should pop up. Check the desired OS and hit next.

Now, if you did not do a JL_Comdr wipe (and I DO NOT recommend that you do) you will get this screen telling you that you have a newer version of the OS than the one you want to install. DO NOT PANIC! See the highlight that says hit options to continue.

After you hit Options, you will get this screen:

Choose yes and follow the onscreen instructions to finish up the install. You will be asked to choose applications, etc..., please choose and then hit next to complete.

This process can take some time, so please be patient!

ALTERNATE STEP FOUR:

If for some bizarre reason, you are unable to get DM to work for you, can load the new/old OS directly from the loader.exe file. See pic below

Navigate to this window (address on top of pic) and double click the highlighted file.

Follow the onscreen instructions. You will be asked before the install begins whether you really want to install an older version. Choose to go ahead and install the older version.

Once you have finished your install, do a battery pull for good measure. Once your phone reboots, go to options > about > check the third line down for OS version. Should read 4.7.0.75 if you proceeded correctly.

Good luck folks! And I hope this was useful!

EDIT: For some reason my pix didnt come thru. See attachments below. The pix are in order according to the steps above.
    Last edited by Rooster; 01-05-09 at 02:48 PM.
    01-05-09 01:41 PM
    Looks like this would be very useful. Thanks.

Pics are not loading though.
    01-05-09 01:47 PM
    Nice write up, I will be using it shortly. Try hosting the pics on flickr, photobucket, ect to use in the write up itself instead of as an attachment.
    01-05-09 01:52 PM
    Excellent work Roo! I was just gonna say your pics were not working, but you realized it before I could post it. Again most excellent work. (and a sticky candidate IMHO)
    01-05-09 01:53 PM
    Kinda slow on little sleep... worked it out. pix should be up.
    Last edited by Rooster; 01-05-09 at 02:49 PM.
    01-05-09 02:02 PM
    working on getting the pix to show folks...

okay...ummm... i'm stupid... cant get the pix to show...
    Whatever you did seems to have fixed it for me. Pictures looks GREAT and the formatting ain't too bad! (sometimes pictures can mess up the formatting and wrapping of the text)
    01-05-09 02:49 PM
    Whatever you did seems to have fixed it for me. Pictures looks GREAT and the formatting ain't too bad! (sometimes pictures can mess up the formatting and wrapping of the text)
    Cool. Was thinking I dropped a few IQ points there!
    01-05-09 02:52 PM
    Good stuff Roost! Do you have to delete the current OS before you downgrade? Or is this just recommended?
    01-05-09 02:52 PM
    Good stuff Roost! Do you have to delete the current OS before you downgrade? Or is this just recommended?
    You can downgrade thru DM, staying connected to the internet, without uninstalling I've found but I certainly wouldnt recommend it.
    01-05-09 02:58 PM
    You can downgrade thru DM, staying connected to the internet, without uninstalling I've found but I certainly wouldnt recommend it.
    I'm only downgrading currently because I'm going to get a replacement today, in that case does it really matter?
    01-05-09 03:00 PM
    I'm only downgrading currently because I'm going to get a replacement today, in that case does it really matter?
    Guess not tho I would check the os on the device once it's finished,
    01-05-09 03:01 PM
    If you are doing OTI (Over The Internet) upgrades then it probably is not necessary to uninstall other OSs lying around on your PC. I always do delet older OSs before I start an upgrade. I never do OTI installataion of OSs because I cannot customize them.

This is a well written guide and I am glad that Rooster did not chicken out (sorry, couldn't resist ) from writing it.
    01-05-09 03:29 PM
    Update: Just downgraded from .85 to .75 without disconnecting from the internet or uninstalling the OS. Just did it right over .85 after backing up. Everything works fine! Going to get my replacement now. Hopefully my overly wobbly screen will be no more on #2. Wish me luck!
    01-05-09 03:31 PM
    Nice job Rooster, this will be very much appreciated by a lot of eager upgraders.
    01-05-09 03:36 PM
    If you are doing OTI (Over The Internet) upgrades then it probably is not necessary to uninstall other OSs lying around on your PC. I always do delet older OSs before I start an upgrade. I never do OTI installataion of OSs because I cannot customize them.

This is a well written guide and I am glad that Rooster did not chicken out (sorry, couldn't resist ) from writing it.
    Dude! Too funny!
    01-05-09 03:40 PM
    Update: Just downgraded from .85 to .75 without disconnecting from the internet or uninstalling the OS. Just did it right over .85 after backing up. Everything works fine! Going to get my replacement now. Hopefully my overly wobbly screen will be no more on #2. Wish me luck!
    Good luck!
    01-05-09 03:41 PM
    Rooster, thank you. You rock!
    01-05-09 04:20 PM
    Nice job Rooster, this will be very much appreciated by a lot of eager upgraders.
    Rooster, thank you. You rock!
    For sure guys! It's about time I gave something back to CB!
    Last edited by Rooster; 01-05-09 at 04:36 PM.
    01-05-09 04:34 PM
    rooster, thanks for a very informative post. Hopefully, it will help a lot of us noobs.
    01-05-09 04:40 PM
    Awesome post Rooster. You're a Crackberry Star for posting the screenshots. This will definitely lower the Fear Factor for many.

Plus, I like pictures
    01-05-09 04:41 PM
    Well done. Good write up , with excellent pictures ....... and we get it for FREE .... and you know we like FREE !!!
    01-05-09 04:45 PM
    Good post.
    01-05-09 05:26 PM
    i followed these instructions exactly when attempting to downgrade from .85 to .76. When i selected the OS from the list and pressed next, i got the message "no software changes are needed at this time" on the next screen. any ideas anyone?
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-06-09 at 02:30 PM.
    01-06-09 02:26 PM
    i followed these instructions exactly when attempting to downgrade from .85 to .76. When i selected the OS from the list and pressed next, i got the message "no software changes are needed at this time" on the next screen. any ideas anyone?
    Disconnect from the internet and try again or use the alternate method outlined in the OP.

Good luck!
    01-06-09 02:39 PM
    I'm just using my 1 thread per day "bump" on this important topic.
    Last edited by pkcable; 01-09-09 at 02:46 PM.
    01-07-09 01:37 PM
128 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD