There are quite a few Blackberry Storm users that decided on the 9530 model instead of the 9500 model that are using EDGE; including myself. Why?? I have no idea; but if you’re like me you have toyed around with plenty of leaked OS along with tons of Hybrids. There was only 2 OS’s that actually worked flawless when it came to the radio code. 4.7.0.75 and 4.7.0.90. Unfortunately they were both terrible in terms of stability. Random reboots, lockups, and the oh so famous VSOD (Verizon Screen of Death).

Quite a few leaks have came after these versions, and sadly only the Verizon users were able to take advantage of all the great new features without as many issues as we had. RIM never quite worked on the GSM portion of the radio code on any OS. After 4.7.0.90 we all encountered the EDGE/edge issue in OS after OS; basically rendering our devices useless without solid data connectivity. Luckily for us there was a couple of Blackberry enthusiast out there willing to take risks. Thus the Hybrids were born. We were now able to use the .90 radio code in the future leaked OS’s which finally allowed us to have solid EDGE.

There was an issue though. Swapping the .90 radio code to these new and functional OS’s brought along some of those pesky bugs from the .90 OS’s such as Random reboots, lockups, and the oh so famous VSOD. After months of struggling with this issue, and countless hours of browsing through the Crackberry Forums, I came across a thread that mentioned a fix for us unfortunate GSM users that would allow us to have solid EDGE without having to use an older or Hybrid OS in general sacrificing the phones stability.

With all this being said, I present you the fix of all fixes that helped cure my phone of such horrid issues mentioned above and made me the happy Storm owner we ALL should have been from day one.

Make sure you have these setting applied and you should be good to go!

Options >Advanced Options >TCP/IP

Options >Mobile Network

With this fix you lose and you gain. The gain being the biggest factor, and the loss a minor sacrifice for a stable phone. The only downfall about this method is not being able to use Youtube in anyway without dropping to edge. Also apps requiring TCP only will not work. Apps such as Youtube and Pandora will not work with this method. To me these are not necessary and not worth the risks using .90.

Apps not working with fix:
    Pandora Radio
    Google Youtube App
    Vision Youtube App - Works to stream video, but once done EDGE drops to edge. Will keep playing around.

Please PM me if something in this how to is inaccurate Ill be more then glad to update it.

Is it possible to move this to the HOWTO section?
    Last edited by XJRodzx; 06-19-09 at 07:27 AM.
    06-16-09 11:01 AM
    Thanks for the tip.... I'll give it a try.

Cheers.
    06-16-09 11:08 AM
    Thanks for the tip.... I'll give it a try.

Cheers.
    No prob. Enjoy!
    06-16-09 11:09 AM
    It works but it definitely is not a complete fix. I found myself having to go back and forth between not having any TCP info and having the CingularGPRS info. Either way we on EDGE networks will forever be screwed.
    06-16-09 07:00 PM
    It works but it definitely is not a complete fix. I found myself having to go back and forth between not having any TCP info and having the CingularGPRS info. Either way we on EDGE networks will forever be screwed.
    Deff not complete but a whole lot better then using .90 radio and having my phone crash every few hours, would you not agree?
    06-16-09 07:12 PM
    Deff not complete but a whole lot better then using .90 radio and having my phone crash every few hours, would you not agree?
    Ive never used .90 radio code. Only the ones that came with the leaks. I thought .113 was decent. But I have done this with every leak I used. It is good information Im not disputing that. But Im not sure what you mean crash? Are you meaning just losing EDGE or having a complete reboot because I have only had that happen 1 time.
    06-16-09 08:17 PM
    Been dropping to edge all day and not getting emails. Reset to these settings and BAM... EDGE and all the emails came running.

Don't use Pandora but what other TCP apps might I be out with TCP/IP now unchecked? (used to have the wap.voicestream.com in the line)
    06-16-09 08:18 PM
    Been dropping to edge all day and not getting emails. Reset to these settings and BAM... EDGE and all the emails came running.

Don't use Pandora but what other TCP apps might I be out with TCP/IP now unchecked? (used to have the wap.voicestream.com in the line)
    Many including me, report youtube not working on app nor mobile site. Then again some say it is.

As far as I know it does not so I can only advise you to try it yourself.

Not sure what other apps are not working at this time. If you come across any please report back.
    06-17-09 05:30 PM
    yea it works ...........your the best dude
    06-18-09 12:28 PM
    yes dude this works ...........your the best......now i just wish i cud use youtube......i have ATAT blackberry storm 9530
    06-18-09 12:29 PM
    Is there a difference between how the word edge shows on the main screen? I have simply edge, not EDGE. I still have no browser capabilities, says there is insufficient network coverage.
    06-18-09 01:44 PM
    Hate to tell ya, but this fix and a few others have been posted on CB for a while and also on Blackberryforums.com, do a quick search.
    06-18-09 03:01 PM
    Is there a difference between how the word edge shows on the main screen? I have simply edge, not EDGE. I still have no browser capabilities, says there is insufficient network coverage.
    EDGE is when you get a data connectin, try turning your connection off for a bit then back on, what OS are you running? Have you tried switching out your radio files using the swap a radio tool? Im on .148 with the .132 radio. You can switch radio files from older versions to find a combo that works for you.
    06-18-09 03:03 PM
    yes dude this works ...........your the best......now i just wish i cud use youtube......i have ATAT blackberry storm 9530
    get the free youtube client vision for youtube, its good.

Vision – A Slick 3rd Party YouTube Client for OS 4.3+ | BerryReview.com �

Or

Xenozu Free YouTube App Works on More Devices Than Google’s | BerryReview.com �
    06-18-09 03:07 PM
    EDGE is when you get a data connectin, try turning your connection off for a bit then back on, what OS are you running? Have you tried switching out your radio files using the swap a radio tool? Im on .148 with the .132 radio. You can switch radio files from older versions to find a combo that works for you.
    I am running lyricials latest hybrid with the .90 RADIO file, I still only have edge. I receive an insufficient coverage on my browser.
    06-18-09 03:57 PM
    06-18-09 03:57 PM
    try turning your connection off, wait a while, then turn it back on. Also disable the TCP settings, check uncheck the box. Im on AT&T
    06-18-09 03:58 PM
    06-18-09 03:59 PM
    Still shows edge, not EDGE. My TCP settings were already cleared and its set to 2G. I then tried the wap.voicestream.com APN settings, didnt work. Unchecked that and took off the voicestream APN, nothing. I turned off wireless, back on, still edge.

Im running .148 with .90 radio.

Would it have to do with the fact that I dont have a blackberry internet plan with Tmobile? All I did was take my SIM card out of my Sidekick and put it in my Storm [after unlocking].
    06-18-09 04:25 PM
    Still shows edge, not EDGE. My TCP settings were already cleared and its set to 2G. I then tried the wap.voicestream.com APN settings, didnt work. Unchecked that and took off the voicestream APN, nothing. I turned off wireless, back on, still edge.

Im running .148 with .90 radio.

Would it have to do with the fact that I dont have a blackberry internet plan with Tmobile? All I did was take my SIM card out of my Sidekick and put it in my Storm [after unlocking].
    That is exactly why. You need a blackberry data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 08:26 PM
    Glad most of you are getting good results.

For the record, I don't take full credit for this fix. most info was in these forums I just took the info took my screenshots and wrote the tut.

06-18-09 08:29 PM
    Thanx bro ill try some of these and report back with my findings.

I know that the google youtube app and mobile site don't work with this method. Let's hope one of these does.

06-18-09 08:35 PM
    my data service doesn't work, because the phone keeps jumping from EDGE to edge. Its a unlock blackberry storm 9530 that was purchased in America. i am currently using it in Jamaica. I have tried every thing only thing left to do is to throw the phone away. i am so frustrated!!
    04-21-11 01:49 PM
    Doesn't work for me I'm using Opera mini instead. Is there a way to put opera mini as original browser ?
    06-17-11 12:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD