I seem to be in the very small minority, but for me each OS update makes my storm perform WORSE. As soon as i installed .86, i noticed that my LED was blinking red. Only after a battery pull did it go away... sort of. As soon as i got a txt message, my little red light stayed blinking, taunting me. As far as im concerned, .75 is leaps and bounds better than anything out there.

Is anyone else having problems?
    Last edited by cuda010; 01-12-09 at 10:06 PM.
    01-12-09 10:03 PM
    many people are complaining about different issues...give it some time let it level out.
    if it doesnt fit your needs in a day or two it's easy to revert back till the official ver. comes out
    01-12-09 10:19 PM
    Have you tried wiping your phone and then installing fresh? If you're going in a straight linear progression it's probably not all that necessary every single time, but if you're bouncing between versions a lot, it would probably do you some good.

And while I'll say .86 seems moderately slower than .85 at times, even after a wipe, it still beats the crap out of .65.

But if you've been reverting back to .75 after trying some of the .8x builds and haven't wiped your phone beforehand, that would probably be the first thing I'd suggest you try. Kind of a pain to get things back the way you want them, I know, but sometimes the alternative is worse.
    01-12-09 10:19 PM
    I did wipe it, before i went to .85. made no difference.
    01-12-09 10:23 PM
    I seem to be in the very small minority, but for me each OS update makes my storm perform WORSE. As soon as i installed .86, i noticed that my LED was blinking red. Only after a battery pull did it go away... sort of. As soon as i got a txt message, my little red light stayed blinking, taunting me. As far as im concerned, .75 is leaps and bounds better than anything out there.

Is anyone else having problems?
    Up until .86, I agreed 100% that .75 was leaps and bounds above all other OS versions, but .86 so far has been a far superior experience than any other OS in the areas of speed, stability, and the basic operation of the device's various features.

Every aspect of what has helped define my entire experience with the BlackBerry Storm since I've received it, has received an across the board improvement since .86. This might very well change as the days go by, but so far all is well.
    01-12-09 10:30 PM
    Up until .86, I agreed 100% that .75 was leaps and bounds above all other OS versions, but .86 so far has been a far superior experience than any other OS in the areas of speed, stability, and the basic operation of the device's various features.

Every aspect of what has helped define my entire experience with the BlackBerry Storm since I've received it, has received an across the board improvement since .86. This might very well change as the days go by, but so far all is well.

Maybe i'll give it another wipe(or 2!) and give .86 another shot. I'll update it sometime tomorrow when i get off work, and report what i found..
    01-12-09 11:00 PM
    IMO...i think that each update fixes a problem and something that was perfectly fine stops working. I know its not a perfect world so i'm not expecting a perfect phone but i'm being patient at the moment and maybe the storm will become the perfect storm everybody wants it to be!!!
    01-13-09 07:27 AM
    That's why these are NOT official releases. In the IT world you set milestones in projects. Those milestones have certain updates/fixes. Once the milestone requirements are met, they slap a new OS build number on it and then throw it over to their internal QC department for testing. If they find more issues (like the LED issue in .86) they document it for the next milestone. That is why whenever an OS is LEAKED (keyword here), they tell you to install at your own risk. Once they feel comfortable enough to put their name on it then they'll officially release it.
    01-13-09 10:29 AM
    Each storm seesm to react differently to OSes. I wouldnt go so far as to say each Os is getting worse. Perhaps for you storm but certainly not for everyone.

85 and 86 were certainly better than 76, at least for me.

I say if 75 or another OS works well for you and the later OSes dont, what's wrong with keeping what you have? No sense in fixing what aint broke, IMHO. Sure the one you are using might have a bug or two but all the OSes so far do.

Just my 2 cents
    01-13-09 10:40 AM
    Each storm seesm to react differently to OSes. I wouldnt go so far as to say each Os is getting worse. Perhaps for you storm but certainly not for everyone.

85 and 86 were certainly better than 76, at least for me.

I say if 75 or another OS works well for you and the later OSes dont, what's wrong with keeping what you have? No sense in fixing what aint broke, IMHO. Sure the one you are using might have a bug or two but all the OSes so far do.

Just my 2 cents
    Agreed. Just because it is the latest and greatest doesn't always mean that you should be running it. Go with whatever works best for you. A lot of the users on here must have the newest OS but that doesn't mean you do too.
    01-13-09 10:45 AM
    For me, .75 has been the best OS so far

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 11:02 AM
    Keep in mind, everyone is comparing BETA to official at this point.
    This is why there are so many Betas before an official.
    01-13-09 11:05 AM
    For me, .75 has been the best OS so far

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Same here.
    01-13-09 11:25 AM
    For my Storm, .85 was far better than any of the other OS's. I have to agree that not all Storms seem to be the same. Strange as that is but that is what it appears to be. I have loaded .86 and have had some wierdness. I plan on leaving it my phone foor a few days top see if it evens out.
    01-13-09 11:43 AM
    This is the key thing here. Up to date, no one that's worked for RIM has divulged why this happens. There are only a few possibilities here.

1) Hardware differences are vast between the same handsets created on the same assembly line.

2) Software carrier branding version differences (low level software) plays a big roll in the final product outcome. This cannot be changed by the end user.

3) Organic based technology components are being used and they behave differently from each other. (This is a big reach, given the price of the technology.)

I am more inclined to say that the individual components on the handsets could be farmed out from various suppliers and it's possible that in the search for a cheaper way to mass produce the end product, each component might differ from handset to handset. For example, one diode could be made by one manufacturer and at a different revison level then the one filling the same function in the next handset down the production line. (Basically, they buy components from whereever it's cheaper.) I however would like to think this isn't happening as it would be a complete dumbass move to do so. With this vastness in hardware similarities, the combinations are essentially limitless and thus would make it almost impossible to create the "perfect" meld between software (OS) and hardware. If this is the case, RIM has fallen on my scale of "smart" companies. It's too much of a gamble to deal with such a way of creating a product. Everything must be the same for a perticular model (with differences coming only from hardware revision changes per manufacturing run, which doesn't usually change every day) and then you won't have to worry about tailoring the OS so much to get a happy medium between fuctionality on the various handsets.

Something is up with this and people are NOT talking about it, which leads me to believe that it's a "big deal" coverup.... one that's not limited to the Storm, but rather ALL Blackberries that come to market. I for one would like to know where and what causes these differences.
    01-13-09 01:02 PM
    Civic, interesting stuff.

One dude did start a thread asking why there were so many differences. Will look and post the link if I can find it.

Think your post is perfect for it.

thanks!
    01-13-09 01:08 PM
    01-13-09 01:10 PM
    My friend's Storm was night and day from mine in .85 (His storm was great in .85, mine was a nightmare)

We were both even on .75 and .76 and we were, yet again, night and day on .83, just like .85.

We are back to having exactly the same experience on .86.
    01-13-09 01:18 PM
    Also, something else to keep in mind along with branding level is the Platform level as well. Platform level has to do with the firmware (core OS) level. For example, back for the 8830 Blackberry, the last supported OS was 4.2.2.196. Well, the OS was released for Bell, Verizon, and Sprint. The app version was the same (.196), but the PL or platform level was different between each one .81, .84, .85 respectively for each one. I know for a fact that there was differences between them. For example, I used to run Sprint versions because with those versions, the sound of music playback on the speaker was a bit louder and bassier then it would be with either Bell or Verizon version on it. I did a lot of cross platform and app version tailoring on the 8830 to try and make certain things work better and also during my search into the who "unlock the GPS" fiasco (which I never finished because it got unlocked for BBMaps and I didn't care anymore due to migrating to the Storm.) However, some of my findings while playing around with the OSs led up to my find of the Ringer Volume fix exploit is OS 4.5, which I might add worked fine until RIM released 4.5.0.101 version which was the first version that the PL (Platform) version all of a sudden changed. It went from 3.2.x.x to 3.4.x.x versions. I think they changed platforms to fix that exploit I was using to boost the ringer volume. Also, the ringer got boosted by them partially 2 versions after I released the hack and the the exploit got patched 3 versions after. Way too coincidental for it not to be related in some way.

Ex. 4.5.0.33-51 had low ringer volume on High. My hack was released during .33 and worked from .33-.77. In .77, the High volume for the ringer was boosted a few db by them in the build. .101 killed the exploit and also had the same RIM fixed High ringer volume as it did in .77.

The thing is though, with the Storm, the PL (platform) versions are incrementing along with the app version for each carrier, so it's impossible to detect differences based on those versions alone. However, there could be some kind of pattern where some Storm carriers will run only certain PL versions while other will run others. Something like odd number vs even number revisions. RIM is getting smarter in terms of trying to hide these small patterns because we (the community) are starting to see the evident relationships and have evolved to be able to recognize these small patterns. So, they might be changing things up a bit to just distract us from picking up on the numbering patterns. I don't know, I'm just hypothesizing here. For example, if you look at all the BETA OS releases, each number in the file name just increments one digit. Technically speaking, you can guess the filename of each version due to come out. With the 9530 releases, RIM seems to have pretty much the same number scheme for all releases and also for each handset (9500 and 9530), however, the REL/PL/APP versions not changing between the 9500 and 9530 is because they are really the same handset hardware wise. The capabilities of the hardware are controlled by the branding version of the phone. The cool think will come when we see the release of the 9520. We will be able to tell if the hardware is the same by looking at a few screens on the BB itself and looking at the OS filename to see if there's differences on the PL versions. Ultimately a hardware teardown will be needed to be sure, but without even looking at the component level I stipulated that the 9500 and 9530 were the same hardware units... and later it was confirmed as true.

Anyway, something to think about.
    01-13-09 02:16 PM
    Something? I think a lot to think about... how do I get a message each time you post civic? would be a nice feature I think
    01-13-09 02:21 PM
    For me, between .65, .75, .85, and .86.... .85 has been the best for me. Went from .75 and noticed a big improvement, then went to .85 and notice a big improvement and then went to .86 and it was an improvement but LED kept blinking and killing my battery so I went back to .85. Other then that, .86 would of been nice.
    01-13-09 03:32 PM
    I have a thought... comparing our Sotrms to each other is like comparing apples and oranges. Most of us, if not all of us have some combination of third party apps installed when we do the upgrades. Some times over top of the old OS and sometimes after a wipe.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say almost everyone does exactly what I do after an OS upgrade, weather from a wipe or not. That is to promptly reinstall our third party apps of choice and restore our contacts which also restores our personal settings.

Because of the unlimited number of combination of apps and OS customizations we are experiencing different things. A true test would to be for several of us to wipe their phone, install the latest OS and then test. No third party apps, no restore of our contacts and settings then see if the same problems creep up.

I'm willing to bet a vast majority of the problems are due to programmers who are new to the 4.7 OS and how to program efficiently in the new envirnment. In my opinion, I fully believe some of the third party apps are stepping on each other and on the OS. RIM needs to do what Microsoft (gasp! I'm not a fan of Microsuck) did with NT and 2000 and later OS's. Don't, in any way let third party applications interfere with the memory space the operating system uses to keep the OS stable. Each app rus in it's own memory space and can not go outside of the bounds of that space.

Just an old UNIX hacks observations...
    01-13-09 03:51 PM
    well, I wiped it and reloaded .86 and so far so good. Now if there was a way to speed up bb maps.....
    01-14-09 01:08 AM
    I have had two new Storms, both from Canada. The first one clicked horrible and .75 stunk. The second one clicked PERFECT and .75 is PERFECT. It is really weird. Exact same aps too: Opera Mini, and Repligo.

The first phone I had to shove felt pads into, second one was like God himself handed it to me. PERFECT. PERFECT. Repeat, PERFECT.

I have converted like a dozen smart phone users because everyone that tried the second phone falls in love with the Storm. The click is so soft in feels like a regular tough screen almost. Strange little buggers eh?
    01-14-09 01:39 AM
    I have the same problem. The blue light for blue tooth does the same thing. It stays on even after blue tooth is dosconnected. It seems that once one of the LED colors are activated to alert you, they do not turn off after the alert is acknowledged.
    01-14-09 01:49 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD