I understand there are a ton of battery posts regarding the new .148 update and hopefully this doesnt get to many of you too angry.

Obviously some people are having no problems at all while others are seeing their battery life drop significantly (which might have something to do w/ the much higher temps of the battery as well) I would just really like to find out what is the true difference here.

I am losing over 10% of battery an hour w/ very minimal use. Just this morning on my drive into work I sent about 5 bb messages in about an hour. Dropped from full charge to 91%.

Was initially having problems right off the get go after the install. Nothing changed on the storm (including apps/settigns etc).

Either way I did a clean wipe of phone and reinstalled .148 w/out doing backup and then loaded all my prior apps manually. I am having the same problem.

Some settings I switched already w/ no change

Network to 1XEV
    Backlight to 20
    Backlight autodim on set for 30 seconds
    GPS E911 / off
    no programs running in background other than (messages phone home bbm browser and meterberry)

The only difference I can possibly think of from prior to update was I updated slacker radio.

At first I thought it may have been stormslider so I removed that app which didnt do a thing.

My app list:

Crackberry app store
    bbfilescout
    bb 4.7 core apps
    bb 4.7 system software
    bb attachment serv
    bb maps
    bb messenger
    browser
    captureit
    docs2go
    emailsetup
    facebook 1.5
    google sync(set on manual sync not auto)
    google talk
    memopad
    meterberry
    opera mini 4.2
    phone
    simpleweather (set for 30 min update)
    slacker radio
    verizon song id
    storm torch.

Web Launchers

crackberry.com
    yankees.com
    bofa
    cnn
    orb
    slickdeals
    blackberry mobile
    amazon
    ebay

Memory boots up to about 50 mb and usually stays above 40mb throughout the day. Battery temp seems to be much higher as well probably related? I used to see the temp no higher than 95 degrees F , i actually hit 105 degrees while charging last night from a full battery drain to about 100%. Was also around 100 just browsing the web.

Again , sorry for the long post especially on something that has been mentioned a few times already. Hopefully you all can compare w/ my apps and settings and see if anything matches and maybe narrow it down a bit.
    06-04-09 06:37 AM
    Well there is the problem right there. Yankees.com they suck the life out of everything around them.......

Go BoSox !!!!!!!!

J/k

Are you closing your apps properly?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 06:43 AM
    lol

you are just like my father !

I always hit the bb option and close on all apps.
    06-04-09 06:46 AM
    Facebook may be the problem. Try running without it and do a batt pull. Facebook killed my battery on a previous install.
    06-04-09 08:10 AM
    Well , after deleting the new slacker update my battery has not dropped from 77% in the last 45 minutes after the reboot.

also i just noticed the temp is down from 97 to 83. Is it possible that slacker could have been running in the background even though I havent used it in a few days and various battery pulls etc etc.
    Last edited by aimetti; 06-04-09 at 08:51 AM.
    06-04-09 08:43 AM
    Hmm sounds like it my battery is fine and I have the following

Lyrs hybrid 151/148

Apps
    smrt gurad
    google maps
    nav4all
    pdf to go
    my verizon
    storm level pro
    speedtest
    visible vote
    evernote
    missing sync
    good food near you
    bb file scout
    bb gps golf
    Meter Berry
    and the list goes on.....
    facebook
    app world
    anagram
    mobile preview
    Pandora
    Flycast
    Some more apps...but who is counting now
    A bunch of launchers
    and Yes I have over 35 mb free space....
    and about 4 themes
    06-04-09 09:09 AM
    Battery temp seems to be much higher as well probably related? I used to see the temp no higher than 95 degrees F , i actually hit 105 degrees while charging last night from a full battery drain to about 100%. Was also around 100 just browsing the web.
    stupid question: How do you tell what your battery temp is?
    06-10-09 02:17 PM
    I read not too long ago about someone who tracked there problem down to bbfilesscout. If your still having issues, try deleting it and see if it helps.

Grey
    06-10-09 03:10 PM
    And, to confuse things even further, sometimes it's the battery itself.

Bought a spare battery the same time I bought the Storm and have been switching them out once a week as an experiment because early on I noticed a dramatic difference in battery life from one week to the next.

Without doubt, battery One will be down to 35% between 7AM and 5PM of the same day; and battery Two often runs from 6AM one day to 6 AM the next before being reaching 35%.

Short of using VZNav, it makes no difference the mix of apps on this phone that wags the battery life dog, it's the battery itself.

Just something else to consider, apparently ....
    06-10-09 04:41 PM
    hmm slacker hadn't thought of that one. Odd since I haven't used it in about a week. Lets find out...
    06-15-09 09:20 PM
    my battery...making sure i closed everything...is always noticeably worse for a day or two after installing a different OS and then it goes back to normal...i use my phone fairly heavily: calls, internet, text, email, AIM, BBM and sometimes Pandora and i still only get to about 50% after a full days use - full day being about 7am until 11pm or midnight...on days of less use maybe only a drop into the 70's...how long have you had the OS installed for?
    06-15-09 09:36 PM
    I posted this in another thread a few days ago. It can help you to figure out what is sucking you dry:

If you don't mind doing a little bit of work to open up your engineering screen you can look at how much power your phone is consuming while it is running. Here is a description on how to get to your engineering screen. Once you are viewing your engineering screen go to OS engineering screen>Battery>Battery monitoring screen with the normal apps idling in the background your should be around 50-75mA at 7-11mV of voltage draw.

In case your didn't know how to access the help menu on the Storm it is:
    press and hold the ESC/back button down and touch the top left of the screen then the top right then the top left and then the top right again. This will bring the Help Me! menu up on the storm. They don't explain this on that website.

Once you are able to find your battery draw number then you can start eliminating programs one at a time to see if the draw goes away. Once it has gone away you will have found which program was your problem. I would start with facebook and then move up to AIM. Though I believe that both of these apps were written by RIM they are still considered 3rd party apps and can still cause problems. Sometime the problem app just needs to be uninstalled and then reinstalled. Good Luck.
    Apps that I have installed on my phone and getting 16-18 hours with moderate to heavy usage including OEM apps:
    Amazon.com
    Anagram
    AP Mobile news
    App store(crackberry)
    Audible
    BBFileScout
    BBlight
    Beyond160
    BB App World
    BB Maps
    BB messenger
    BrickBreaker
    CoinToss for Storm
    Today Plus Hidden theme
    CrackBerrySmash
    Documents To Go
    DynoStorm
    ECOE (Ticketmaster)
    File Manager Pro
    Flight Path
    ForceRadioOn
    FreeTips
    Google Maps
    iheartradio
    labyrinth
    level (free version)
    logmaid
    MemoPad
    MobileBanking (USAA)
    Opera Mini
    Password Keeper
    Pedometer
    Podtrapper
    Poynt
    Quicklaunch
    QuickPull
    RepliGo Reader
    SexyDice
    Simultravel GPS
    Slacker Radio
    Speed Test (cisco)
    Sticher
    StormSketch
    StormSlots
    StormYahtzee
    Tasks
    TVGuide
    Vision for YouTube
    WeatherBug
    BartenderPro

And still average 30-39MB of free file memory for those that are going to ask. That is anything that I can remove at will and not affect the usage of the phone itself.
    06-15-09 09:56 PM
    I have minimal apps on my storm and I must charge my phone every night and sometimes during the day. It's not that big of a deal to charge it while I'm sleeping (other than losing one charger and having two storms in the house) but 148 definitely sucks the battery faster than previous OS's. It happens on my girl's phone too.
    06-16-09 02:01 AM
    I have minimal apps on my storm and I must charge my phone every night and sometimes during the day. It's not that big of a deal to charge it while I'm sleeping (other than losing one charger and having two storms in the house) but 148 definitely sucks the battery faster than previous OS's. It happens on my girl's phone too.
    Just FYI you can charge the phone with the USB ports on a PC as well. It just takes a little longer that way but works great for an overnight charge.
    06-16-09 05:03 AM
    Minimal apps aren't necessarily the issue. The issue could be WHAT apps you have installed? Having weatherbug set to update every hearbeat for example along with Slacker/Pandora could be killing you without your knowing it.

Also, what is you usage pattern? Are you watching full length movies for 2 hours, surfing for an hour and then talking for 90 minutes? Something else to bear in mind the rated 'talk time' is actually usage time, and what you do along with how long you do it also plays a big part. Also that infamous 'talk/usage time' is a case where your mileage may vary, depending on signal strength, how you arrange your home screen icons, etc. I know there are threads on optimizing the icons (too tired to provide a link, sorry). A quick example... I have Google Maps instead of BB maps, no docs to go, no VVM, no VZNav, no games, and the default theme. I send/receive approx 60-70 SMS/MMS messages, approx 2-3 dozen emails, about 45 min of surfing, and perhaps 1-2 hours talking per DAY. At the end of the day, I have usually 35% batt left, so I charge it the next day when it turns yellow on me. Am I happy with my mileage? Considering what I ask my baby to do, you betcha. I also stay at about 25-30MB memory per day because I use the tried and true method of pressing BB button, followed by close on every possible app. I only use the back button when I'm in a sub-folder or if the app does not provide a close llink at the level I am in at that moment.

Sorry to be so long winded. Just be happy you're not in my shop listening to what I just typed with your Storm in my hand, holding you hostage... LOL

Just my .02
    Last edited by vzwcttech; 06-17-09 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Additional content
    06-17-09 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD