I always see people asking how to install themes on their phone, so I figured it was time to create a Newbie Guide to install a 3rd party theme.

There are 2 steps when installing a theme; Downloading/Installing & Activating the theme

1. DOWNLOADING THE THEME
    The first thing you need to do is download and install the theme.

The easiest and quickest way is to download it �OTA� or �Over The Air�.
    There are two ways to do this.

1. The fastest way is to visit the page the theme is posted on while on your PC and look for an OTA link. When you find the link you can just right click the link and select �Copy Link Address�. Then go to your email client and type in the email address that goes to your Blackberry. In the email body just press CTRL+V then ENTER. Then hit �Send�.

When the email comes to your phone, just open it up and click the link in the email. Depending on the email client you used to send it, you may have to copy and paste the link from your Blackberry Email to the Blackberry Browser.

Once the link is open you will see the theme info and 2 buttons; Download and Cancel. Select Download and wait for the theme to download and install. When it finishes you will see a dialog box that says �The application was successfully installed�. Press OK. Then the Browser will ask if you want to close the Browser. Select Yes.

2. The other way to download OTA is to visit the theme page from your Blackberry Browser. When you navigate to the OTA link you want, select it and follow the same instructions as above.

The next way to install a theme is to use the Blackberry Desktop Manager.

To get the file on your computer you need to download the theme alx file. To get the file just navigate to the page the theme is posted on using your PC. Look for the �Desktop� link and click it to download the zip file. Save it somewhere that you will remember. After the download finishes you need to unzip the file. After it unzips you should have 2 files; an ALX file and a COD file.

Now plug in your phone using the USB cable and open up desktop Manager. If you don�t have Desktop manager installed you can download it from here:https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...3A876AA2339A78

Once Desktop Manger is open, click the Application Loader icon. Then select �Add/Remove Applications". On the next screen select �Browse� and navigate to the location of the ALX on your PC. Then select �Next�. It will have a confirmation screen saying that your device will be updated to include xxxxxxx theme. Click �Finish�.

2. ACTIVATING THE THEME

Now you have the theme installed on your phone. But before it shows up you have to make it the current theme. To do this go to Options and scroll down to Themes. This opens the theme menu. You should see the theme in the list. All you have to do is select it and it should change over to the theme in a few seconds.

That�s it. Now you have a custom theme on your Blackberry. Though it�s not mandatory, it is always good practice to remove the battery and re-insert it. This re-boots the phone and gets the theme running smooth.
    05-15-09 06:16 PM
    kudos for going out of your way for going this
    05-15-09 06:17 PM
    kudos for going out of your way for going this
    I just wanted something that I could point people to when they ask how to install one. It's easier than trying to explain it every time.
    05-15-09 06:21 PM
    true true love blackberry pro v2 most reliable theme out there in my eyes cant wait for 3!
    05-15-09 06:23 PM
    THANK YOU THANK YOU and THANK YOU!!!
    05-16-09 12:33 AM
    I just wanted something that I could point people to when they ask how to install one. It's easier than trying to explain it every time.
    Id rather castrate a newborn male kitten with my teeth then ever explain how to activate a theme to another person EVER....AGAIN...
    05-16-09 12:50 AM
    AWESOME! thank you, thank you!
    05-16-09 03:48 PM
    Nice work!!!
    05-16-09 03:50 PM
    I loaded the application. Everything is working but instead of the weather icon on top, I have a windows messenger icon.....i just got the crackberry today......im not sure what could have went wrong. Do i need to download a weather app?
    08-11-09 02:50 PM
    Bumping this to help everyone out.
    08-21-09 09:11 AM
    Great tutorial Natemz...
    Thanks very much from a CrackBerry Newbie...
    08-26-09 11:20 AM
    Thank you very much.
    08-29-09 10:47 AM
    Bumping this to help everyone out.
    I wish this was about when I first had my storm.
    It was a nightmare trying to work out how get a theme on my phone.
    So well done Natemz.
    08-29-09 12:41 PM
    I loaded the application. Everything is working but instead of the weather icon on top, I have a windows messenger icon.....i just got the crackberry today......im not sure what could have went wrong. Do i need to download a weather app?
    Same question here. Which weather app should I install ? In any case, Thanks Natemz for your great work!
    08-31-09 05:56 PM
    when I downloaded the calander theme, it does not go into my theme folder. Can anybody help me out please?
    09-22-09 11:19 AM
    just the job for a newbie 1st time blackberry user

d/l ok just had no idea where to find the theme change option glad your on top of this great work

many thanks
    10-09-09 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD