AppleBerry Theme Suite 2.0 thread has moved!
    October 2nd, 2010

Hey everybody, please continue the AppleBerry discussion on our new thread here:

AppleBerry Theme Suite 2.0 - Official Curve 8900 Thread

Cheers,

Andrew
    Last edited by hastings; 10-02-10 at 11:19 AM.
    04-10-09 01:27 PM
    What common mistakes do you find in most themes?
    I would not say there are many mistakes, but rather the theme builder prefrence and or knowlage of making themes.

What would you like to see done?
    If the theme cost (i don't buy themes though, to many great users in here that offer them for free) i would want to see everything customized. You say that is done so your good there.

What are your preferences for font sizes, icon sizes?
    You mention you made the icons bigger to match the 80x80, personally, i want smaller icons. Font size is not an issue for me.

How big is too big for a theme in terms of file size?
    Personally, i don't care. If it's nice.

Are memory leaks a big issue on this device?
    ??? Some depending of the OS you are running.

Good luck.
    04-10-09 01:40 PM
    FYI: There will be a free version as well.

I want everybody to be able to enjoy it, whether they have access to a credit card or not.
    04-10-09 01:46 PM
    What common mistakes do you find in most themes?
    These aren't necessarily mistakes but some things that bother me on different themes.

-icons are too big and jumbled together. not respecting space.
    -no uniform color scheme
    -confusing navigation between different sections of the navigation

What would you like to see done?
    I'm not sure if this is an available option, but perhaps a hidden scrolling bottom dock that would mimic the autohide dock feature on a real mac.

What are your preferences for font sizes, icon sizes?
    I generally prefer size 21-24 font, and 65x65 icons. I do not like the current 80x80 icon sizes since I feel they take up too much room.

How big is too big for a theme in terms of file size?
    I think the most important thing to consider is just whether or not navigation and performance on the homescreen experiences slowdowns on a regular basis. If form and functionality can be achieved without slowdown, the filesize shouldn't really matter imo.
    04-10-09 01:56 PM
    I don't get why people want Blackberrys to look like iPhones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 03:55 PM

Me either. Iphones, windows, macs? i have a BLACKBERRY!
    04-10-09 04:00 PM
    This is not an iPhone theme at all, it does not in any way resemble one. Many Mac users grow accustomed to the design of their OS and want to carry it over to their device.

I also don't have an Apple logo anywhere in the theme, I don't think it belongs in the theme. It's simply a clean and bright theme.

------------

Question: I'm noticing that during an active call my banner at the bottom of the screen disappears, it's running the stock OS. Do future OS updates fix this problem?
    04-10-09 04:27 PM
    To your ?'s I think that you basically have it figured out what people like and others dont. You made appleberry for the storm and well by the book of a thread I would say that it was a success. People to see different variations in their themes to suit their needs and with the eight versions that you offer I am sure that you will hit one of them on the head. I myself like a simple screen, a today, a today that only hits when highlighted. I am anxious to see these huge icons as I was a fan of d-macs weatherplus theme because of the icon size. I just like my theme to mesh well with my 3rd party apps. Look foward to seeing or you leaking via pm.......
    04-10-09 04:30 PM
    What common mistakes do you find in most themes? - Usually it involves too much clutter and trying to do too much on screen. I like to be able to see my wallpaper and a giant cluster of icons, notifications, and status' just doesn't fly.

What would you like to see done? - Simple is good. Bottom dock, hidden today, and the vitals as condensed as possible (one line is best)

What are your preferences for font sizes, icon sizes? - the icon sizes you've suggested sounds solid as long as they're not tooooooo huge. The font could definitely stand to be bigger because as mentioned, its itty bitty by default.

How big is too big for a theme in terms of file size? - Most I've seen are no bigger than 1 or 2 mb, which seems to be fairly reasonable in size. This is not a huge issue though.

Are memory leaks a big issue on this device? - So far, none that I've noticed and certainly better than the Storm. Remember you're working 256mb of ram here as well (most see between 120 and 150 free it seems.)

Last edited by Stromson; 04-11-09 at 12:08 AM.
    04-10-09 05:22 PM
    From the Storm screenshots, it seems like you've got everything pretty good. One of my pet peeves is that people don't pay enough attention to the details. I've seen themes that look great at first glance, then...

Bplay's Crossbar, for example. On the message lists they didn't use the anti-ailising (sp?) on the font, made it very ugly to look at.

I'm also a huge fan of the icons. As far as size, 60 and up is good. IMO, if the icons are too small, they look lost on that screen.

Font, I prefer around 25. Large enough to read; small enough that 3 lines doesn't take up my whole screen.
    04-11-09 04:46 AM

That is MAC OS X for IMAC's and Macbooks. It is the same as the IVista themes. Some people are just used to certain layouts and like to have everything the same.

That being said I did throw an Iphone theme on my 8900 for a day to mess with the Iphone users at my work. LOL
    04-11-09 07:34 AM
    Now if you could make the Jesus Phone look like a Blackberry, then we are rockin' I would never tarnish my BlackBerry with anything that made it look even remotely like any Crapple product.
    04-11-09 08:28 AM
    Third party apps rarely highlight or show up properly on the home screen... That would be a nice fix..

And as many have already said, smaller icons is better.. Less cluter and you can actually appreciate the wall paper..

04-11-09 08:48 AM
    I would never tarnish my BlackBerry with anything that made it look even remotely like any Crapple product.
    Wait a second. I can understand why you wouldn't want to make your Blackberry look like something from Apple. No problem there.

But to call Apple products "Crapple" is a bit much. The iPod and Mac line of products are far superior to their competition. OSX blows the doors off of Windows. The iPhone doesn't do much for me when compared to a Blackberry, but I can see why some people would want it.
    04-11-09 11:23 AM
    What common mistakes do you find in most themes? *The two things that usually make me delete a theme are Locked Wallpaper in the Lock Screen and No Color Scheme (10 different colors)
    What would you like to see done?* personally i'd like smaller icons! hate the huge Icons on the 8900! they take too much room, id like to see more of my screen! Also, more than 5 icons. A smaller bar that contains the date, battery meter etc.. i hate that every theme has this "halfascreen" top bar!
    What are your preferences for font sizes, icon sizes? nothing too big, nothing too small..
    How big is too big for a theme in terms of file size? If it's good, i dont care, i"ll make room for it
    Are memory leaks a big issue on this device? not for me!
    04-11-09 12:00 PM
    The storm versions look good. I usually just prefer weather on the screen and calendar. And some nice high quality wallpapers. And regular size icons.

04-11-09 06:55 PM
    i dont know much about themes but can you make an icon for beejive?
    04-12-09 12:16 PM
    2 personal preferences of mine - 1, can you share the wallpaper that you use on the active call and incoming call screens? Also, I noticed that the lock screen wallpaper is not customizable. Can you make it so that the lock wall changes to whatever I set as my wallpaper? Thanks!
    04-13-09 12:25 PM
    how is this coming along? any news on a release?
    04-14-09 08:16 AM
    Should be released this weekend. I've got Classic all wrapped up and now I'm just working on Glass.

I was originally going to release Classic first and work on Glass later, but I'm going to finalize all eight versions and get them out the door at the same time.

I'll try and post more really soon. (=
    04-14-09 11:16 AM
    Should be released this weekend. I've got Classic all wrapped up and now I'm just working on Glass.

I was originally going to release Classic first and work on Glass later, but I'm going to finalize all eight versions and get them out the door at the same time.

I'll try and post more really soon. (=
    did you ever get the email I sent you? the one about the icon screen and wallpaper issue?
    04-14-09 12:38 PM
    good being the gf....with an 8900!! got the latest beta version of appleberry classic!! ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! was begging him to make one for this phone (mine) while he was doing the storm's
    will hopefully be out to everyone this weekend! hope you all LOVE it!!!
    04-14-09 11:42 PM
    looking foward to seeing the glass and its features. Thats one of the reasons I switched from the 8330 was for the features that the 8900's themes could do. classic is great but I had to put a new background on it today to keep it fresh.
    04-16-09 06:49 PM
    I just wrapped up Classic about 6 hours ago, all four versions of it.

I'm currently working on Glass, it looks quite amazing thus far. I'll get some pics up tomorrow hopefully and it should come out this weekend! Beta testers obviously get it free. (=
    04-17-09 12:09 AM
    Damn I hope your free versions of this is as good as the pay version....

04-17-09 06:57 PM
207 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD