I recently got a new Storm 2 and have been obsessing over cases. I want a good pocket pouch and a good top holster, with sleep function. I've searched the internet far and wide and tried out at least 7 different cases. shop.crackberry.com has a good selection and I've bought some there as well as from Verizon and AT&T. Non of them are quite right. Eventually I made my own. But first, a tour of the best cases.

This is the RIM top-loading holster for Storm2:

Its protective and has a good swivel clip that does not dig into your side. But it is somewhat porky wouldn't you say?

Here's a neat top-loading holster from Verizon that also serves as a protective skin:

I really like this case, but the swivel clip rides too high and digs into your side.

This Milante case from shop.crackberry.com is a very nice leather top-loading holster:

The Storm slips in and out very easily. The swivel clip is leather and discreet. The only problem is that the case is a little wide as it was originally made for the BB 8800 series.

Now for the pocket pouches (like a top loading case without a swivel clip for carrying in your pocket).

This is the RIM leather pouch:

Its very distinguished but a bit ostentatious and porky too. Also its hard to remove the Storm from the case without putting fingerprints on the camera.

Finally, here is the RIM pouch for the Verizon Tour 8630:

This case is perfect. Slim, discreet, nice looking, and easy to pull the Storm out by grabbing its sides. RIM even makes a top-loading holster in this style. There's only one problem and its a killer - the sleeper magnet is in the wrong place! Its near the bottom of the case and the Storm wants it in the middle.

I'll show you in my next post how I modified the Tour case to work with the Storm.
    01-31-10 05:10 PM
    So I had finally found the perfect case for the Storm / Storm 2 - its RIM's case for the Verizon Tour 8630! But the sleeper magnet is in the wrong place. Here's how I added a sleeper magnet to the Tour pouch case.

I had determined that only one magnet was needed in the middle on one side of the case to activate the Storm's sleeper function, whether you put the Storm facing in or out:

There is a nice wide groove inside the case for the Tour's trackball:

If I could find a magnet it would fit nicely in that groove without getting in the way of the Storm!

I found an old case that I had for my Pearl 8130 and took out the magnets. Then I made a little support harness (on left) for one of them using cardboard and fabric from the Pearl case:

I scotch-taped one magnet on the outside of the Tour case in the proper position. Then I glued the other magnet inside in the groove. The magnet on the outside pulled the inside magnet to the proper position and pressed it against the groove while the glue dried. Then I applied glue to the rest of the groove and glued the fabric and cardboard support over the magnet. I put a styrofoam insert into the case and tightened it closed with rubber bands overnight to let the glue set.

Here you can see the finished product with the fabric covering the magnet and cardboard supports in the groove:

It works like a charm! I will be purchasing the top-loading holster for the Tour and modding it too, then I will be in case heaven
    Last edited by wpwoodjr; 02-02-10 at 09:40 AM.
    01-31-10 05:52 PM
    I got that hard plastic ribbed one that Verizon sells for $29.00 for $15 on ebay with free shipping.
    01-31-10 06:25 PM
    I got that hard plastic ribbed one that Verizon sells for $29.00 for $15 on ebay with free shipping.
    It's more of a soft plastic - I like the feel of it. Here's what I did with that case:

I didn't like the swivel clip because it dug into my side so I cut it off to make it a pocketable case.
    01-31-10 08:24 PM
    Yeah I was thinking an otter box but I need dust protection I think lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-10 11:41 PM
    I'm loving my modded RIM pouch for the Verizon Tour 8630. Easy to slip the Storm partway out of the case to check on something, you can adjust the volume without removing it from the case, and it fits the Storm perfectly.
    02-01-10 05:29 PM
    I am looking for something thin and light weight like a skin. But I hate the silicon cause it sticks to your pockets and stuff. Any suggestions.
    02-01-10 05:51 PM
    It's not a skin but Case-Mate makes a clip on case that doesn't add too much bulk. They call it the "Barely there" snap on case. Might be the right fit for you
    02-01-10 06:58 PM
    I am looking for something thin and light weight like a skin. But I hate the silicon cause it sticks to your pockets and stuff. Any suggestions.
    I had 2 of these for my Storm 1. They are great. Very light, and don't stick to your pockets. I'm including the link to the orange one so you can see it better on the phone ... but there are other colors. The only down side to Incipio, their cases are always out of stock... so if you want one and it's in stock, get it right away!!!

Incipio Carrying Cases - Ultra Light feather Slim Form Fitted Case for BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 - Molina Red
    02-01-10 07:54 PM
    Sorry for asking this but, what does the sleep magnet do exactly?
    02-01-10 08:34 PM
    Thats what's great about the otterbox. It has the silicone cover, but also has a hard plastic cover so it slides in and out of pockets nicely This is the one I have BlackBerry Storm2 Commuter Case // OtterBox.com
    02-01-10 08:41 PM
    Nice mod on that case, certainly looks sharp! I'd use something like that, but between my job (po po), and my children, I need something offering more protection. I opted for the Otterbox Defender, for work, and the Otterbox Commuter for play.

Sorry for asking this but, what does the sleep magnet do exactly?
    Turns off the screen to conserve battery power.

Thats what's great about the otterbox. It has the silicone cover, but also has a hard plastic cover so it slides in and out of pockets nicely This is the one I have BlackBerry Storm2 Commuter Case // OtterBox.com
    Just got my Commuter in today, I love it! I've been rockin' the defender for bout a month now.. the defender is an awesome case, but a tad too bulky for off-duty use. Only thing I need is a holster for my commuter and I'll be squared away. I have that verizon ribbed plastic case (pictured in OP's post), and imma see if the holster is compatible with the commuter when I get off duty in the morning.
    02-01-10 08:49 PM
    Was it difficult to cut the swivel clip off the holster because I am thinking about doing that for that case.
    02-01-10 11:35 PM
    I had 2 of these for my Storm 1. They are great. Very light, and don't stick to your pockets. I'm including the link to the orange one so you can see it better on the phone ... but there are other colors. The only down side to Incipio, their cases are always out of stock... so if you want one and it's in stock, get it right away!!!

Incipio Carrying Cases - Ultra Light feather Slim Form Fitted Case for BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 - Molina Red
    Nice case! Verizon has a similar one on their website and in the store, the one with peace signs on the back:
    Verizon snap-on case

Comes in black too. In the store I saw a blue one without peace signs.
    02-02-10 09:35 AM
    I like this one from Verizon...

Enter your location

02-02-10 09:43 AM
    I have that verizon ribbed plastic case (pictured in OP's post), and imma see if the holster is compatible with the commuter when I get off duty in the morning.
    Why do you need the Commuter if you have the Verizon ribbed case?
    02-02-10 09:43 AM
    Was it difficult to cut the swivel clip off the holster because I am thinking about doing that for that case.
    Was pretty easy - I used a hacksaw and cut through the slot where the two pieces click together when you rotate the swivel clip. After doing that you will have to glue the magnet and its holder back in place using crazy glue. Also file down any rough edges.

Its fairly hideous after you cut the swivel clip off, wish they made one without the swivel clip.
    Last edited by wpwoodjr; 02-02-10 at 09:49 AM.
    02-02-10 09:46 AM

Enter your location

I am getting that one today! Will report back.
    02-02-10 09:47 AM
    The cases, dust its all getting old for this phone... lol
    02-02-10 10:11 AM
    I'm going to move this to community reviews
    02-02-10 10:14 AM
    Why do you need the Commuter if you have the Verizon ribbed case?
    The commuter offers better protection because it covers the entire phone up to the edges of the screen. I loved the rubbed case but it didn't cover the top and it left the bevels exposed. I also like the idea that underneath the hard plastic, the phone is wrapped in silicone to absorb any shock that might occur if I do drop it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-10 11:34 AM

Enter your location

I received this case today. It has a sleeper magnet but its so weak that it doesn't turn the Storm off. I guess this one will be going back!
    02-02-10 01:15 PM
    I have the second on that you listed and I like it. I don't have it on my belt while in uniform. I only have it on my belt when I'm in civies.
    02-03-10 09:08 PM
    It works like a charm! I will be purchasing the top-loading holster for the Tour and modding it too, then I will be in case heaven
    So I got the Tour holster and modded it just like I did the Tour pouch for my Storm 2 and its the best - here's the picture:

Last edited by wpwoodjr; 02-12-10 at 08:08 PM.
    02-12-10 08:02 PM
    cheers for the advice...ive jus done the same as i didn't like the case that comes with the 9520...

here in the UK the tour case is the same as the bold 9700 case...so bought that today and took the magnet out of the original storm2 case and put it in the groove...!

works a treat and finally a case i like to keep with me!!!

Thanks again for the idea!!
    03-30-10 09:39 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD