So Folks,

As it looks.. TELUS will be launching their HSPA network a bit early! Instead of 2010 it will be launched THIS YEAR... (as far as i know)

Just the way things are looking.... TELUS has HSPA phones ready to ship to stores, its already setup for TELUS sales Reps to activate, its setup for them to swap a HSPA phone onto an account.... etc etc etc, the list goes on..

Im confident that it will launch sooner than later! Even looking at the telusmobility website, all of the old phones have already kicked off the website, things are very quiet.. i got an email saying the "service agreements" are changing after signing into mytelusmobility...

What do you guys think? Im siked! HSPA and dont have to deal with rogers yaaaayyy!

Lets get a super post going!
    07-30-09 03:30 PM
    I'd be more siked if they could get the Tour I got on Monday to work on the data network.
    07-30-09 03:36 PM
    I'd be more siked if they unlocked the tour's frequencies to work on the HSPA network
    07-30-09 03:50 PM
    The tour will work on HSPA network....
    07-30-09 04:02 PM
    HSPA is???? gsm?
    07-30-09 05:20 PM

Do you have a source to confirm this?

From what I understand, tour will only support 2100 frequency HSPA (european) while telus' networks wont...
    07-30-09 10:22 PM
    will not work on hspa in canada! been stated many times!
    07-31-09 12:36 AM
    My account rep with Telus told me it should be launching in November.

PS: no existing released BB models will work on the new network
    Last edited by mordenxp; 07-31-09 at 08:35 AM.
    07-31-09 08:32 AM
    damn storm should have waited. Look like i might get the iphone 3GS

Just kidding BB for life
    07-31-09 09:42 AM
    I know people have reported that Telus has been playing around with their new network in some cities. I've had my tour for a week or two now and the rep popped in the international roaming sim card just for the sake of having it in. I've never seen the "sim card rejected" message pop up on my screen. Could it be telus testing it out or perhaps my card was just loose?

PS. I tried taking it out, it wouldn't budge...is there anything holding it in there?
    07-31-09 10:59 AM
    Because Telus doesn't have a GSM network SIM Card Rejected will always show up if your phone is set to anything other than 1XEV from the Manage Network Connection settings.

IE: on a tour and storm, if you set to 'global' and there is no network service, it will try to use gsm, and since Telus doesn't have a network, the SIM is rejected by whatever GSM network it does find, that being Rogers.

No way around this other than to just leave your phone set manually to 1XEV
    07-31-09 11:01 AM
    nicky, it's not easy to get back out and just takes some firm pulling (by this, I mean it requires effort). My suggestion is to use your finger nail or something else firm. Avoid anything too pointy so you don't actually damage the card. It takes some work, but it will come out.
    07-31-09 02:20 PM
    I know people have reported that Telus has been playing around with their new network in some cities. I've had my tour for a week or two now and the rep popped in the international roaming sim card just for the sake of having it in. I've never seen the "sim card rejected" message pop up on my screen. Could it be telus testing it out or perhaps my card was just loose?

PS. I tried taking it out, it wouldn't budge...is there anything holding it in there?
    use the tape trick! that works like a charm to get it out! a friend of mine from product care from toronto eaton centre showed me it!
    07-31-09 11:58 PM
    Sim card rejected fix described here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/
    Last edited by mordenxp; 08-01-09 at 12:05 AM.
    08-01-09 12:01 AM
    I've been thinking about joining up with Telus and getting a Pearl 8130... is it better to wait for this new network to be implemented you think? I understand that a Pearl/Curve/Flip/Storm won't work on the new HSPA network.

What will be the big advantage of the hSPA network?
    08-01-09 01:34 PM
    The advantage is not only the network speed increase from what we have now to having a much better selection of phones as well.

I've been thinking about joining up with Telus and getting a Pearl 8130... is it better to wait for this new network to be implemented you think? I understand that a Pearl/Curve/Flip/Storm won't work on the new HSPA network.

What will be the big advantage of the hSPA network?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 05:31 PM
    I'm on the mobile site, so I can't see the locations of the posters. (Btw show your locations including cities if you don't already! It's cool to see where the fellow Canadians are from...)

Anyway, HSPA will be gradually rolled out city-by-city, as opposed to a universal switch or even nationwide launch.

Vancouver area is first, likely by November. This is due to the Olympics coming and all of the roaming phones coming with it. TELUS figures it will subsidize a large amount of their HSPA rollout costs by rushing the launch in Vancouver in time to capture all the roaming fee dollars that would have otherwise belonged to Rogers.

TELUS DNA rep (Data Network Assistance) told me 3 days ago that after Vancouver, next cities will be Calgary, Montreal, and Toronto, each early next year.

He was also the 3rd TELUS rep to confirm to me that my shiny new Tour would not function on the TELUS HSPA network, due to the different frequency as mentioned ad nauseum here on CB.

My guess is the Curve 85XX --8530 or 8550???-- will be the first compatible BB device.

08-02-09 01:51 AM
    Also, that same TELUS rep told me they had just some RIM training on the Tour, upcoming devices, HSPA, and OS 5.0.

He said there will be 4 new BB models introduced within the next 12 months. Obviously, 85XX is the first as it's already up on BlackBerry.com and there is reasonably credible info out there on the next gen versions of the Bold and Storm.

Plus then there's your iPhones, Pre's, and everything else not previously available...

08-02-09 01:57 AM
    Because Telus doesn't have a GSM network SIM Card Rejected will always show up if your phone is set to anything other than 1XEV from the Manage Network Connection settings.

IE: on a tour and storm, if you set to 'global' and there is no network service, it will try to use gsm, and since Telus doesn't have a network, the SIM is rejected by whatever GSM network it does find, that being Rogers.

No way around this other than to just leave your phone set manually to 1XEV
    Thanks. Did that. Still coming up as sim card rejected. It was set to global before and I've set it to 1XEV and it is still on the screen. I even set it to GSM, lost signal and set it back and it's still there.

Also, thanks for the tips on getting the sim card out of the handset. I tried my fingernails to the point where it was bending and not coming out in the least; I certainly didn't want anything to break. I'll try the tape trick.
    08-02-09 08:41 PM
    Pull the battery after changing global to 1xev to clear the msg

08-02-09 08:43 PM
    I sure hope they hook existing customers up with an upgrade discount for phones on the new network
    08-16-09 03:46 PM
    I could have sworn I heard the Storm was going to be able to be used on the HSPA network...

Ah ffs, I might have to sell my storm once the HSPA comes out and buy a new phone.
    08-18-09 09:33 AM
    When they say Vancouver, calgary, toronto, montreal... does this means it's only for the metro areas?
    08-18-09 12:52 PM
    To start, yes it should be just the greater metro areas. (i.e. Including suburbs)

08-18-09 01:37 PM
    When they say Vancouver, calgary, toronto, montreal... does this means it's only for the metro areas?
    This is why I keep telling everyone not to hold their breath yet. The main purpose of this new network is to take a portion of the roaming fees away from Rogers, especially during the Olympics. No one should be expecting GSM devices on the Telus network for some time yet. And the full rollover will not be complete for at least a few more years (if I had to put a time line on it, I'd say we're looking at ~4-6 years bacause people are still signing up for 3 year contracts using CDMA technology now).

Anyone who is expecting to be able to use a GSM device on Telus anytime soon (including the iPhone) is going to be surprised when their devices still won't work. There's a lot more to this than just upgrading the cellphone towers and making the system capable of taking advantage of the roaming fees.
    08-18-09 04:18 PM
209 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD