Since theres been a lot of water damaged or supposedly water damaged 8900's on this forum, I figured I'd make a post with a picture.

Notice theres 2 WDI stickers, one on the battery, and one on the actual device.

Now, also notice that the battery is NOT water damaged by has a red line through it.

Your phone is only water damaged if the sticker is COMPLETELY pink
    03-30-09 10:46 PM
    And the sticker that is missing from my picture is NOT a WDI, it is a sticker that stops you from accessing that hole.
    03-30-09 10:49 PM
    So if it only a quarter pink it doesn't count as water damage ? What does tmoi say bout it to conder a phone water damaged?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 11:28 PM
    When I said completely pink, I just meant that line in the middle doesn't count...
    03-30-09 11:39 PM
    Good idea, RLP. Thanks for those pics, I'm sure it will help some people out for sure.
    03-31-09 12:19 AM
    i was talking about the one on the phone it self not the battery
    03-31-09 10:11 AM
    So is the red line standard? Or does that mean there's been a tiny bit of water?
    03-31-09 11:18 AM
    So is the red line standard? Or does that mean there's been a tiny bit of water?
    That's standard
    03-31-09 12:13 PM
    i was talking about the one on the phone it self not the battery
    The one on the phone itself has to be all white.
    03-31-09 12:14 PM
    thanks for the info, i'm sure alot of people were wondering about this!
    03-31-09 12:23 PM
    great post
    03-31-09 12:37 PM
    Just put some tape on it. So if you do get water damage you can peel it off and then send your phone in. That should work No?
    03-31-09 01:12 PM
    Just put some tape on it. So if you do get water damage you can peel it off and then send your phone in. That should work No?
    Thats actually a REALLY great idea, I wonder if you stick something on top and you peel it off, will it take a bit with it
    04-05-09 10:59 PM
    I believe there to be a water damage sticker inside the device as well so its hard to cheat the system
    04-05-09 11:21 PM
    I believe there to be a water damage sticker inside the device as well so its hard to cheat the system
    I believe you are correct. I was told by Tmo that my curve had "several" white stickers that would indicate water damage when I was trying to exchange phones.

04-05-09 11:25 PM
    I have taken several 8100s and 8310s apart and have not seen a hidden chemical liquid detector (note the word liquid, not just water). There is just the one visible one positioned where it can be verified. I have not dismantled my 8900 so can't say for sure.

Sticking tape over the detector may be a good idea provided that the liquid (that word again) in the adhesive does not affect the detectore. Finding out how the chemical detector works will prove critical here. Yay Google.

I believe the sticker on the battery to be an over-temperature sensor. I just dumped a spare battery into water and there was no color change.
    04-06-09 01:03 AM
    I have taken several 8100s and 8310s apart and have not seen a hidden chemical liquid detector (note the word liquid, not just water). There is just the one visible one positioned where it can be verified. I have not dismantled my 8900 so can't say for sure.

Sticking tape over the detector may be a good idea provided that the liquid (that word again) in the adhesive does not affect the detectore. Finding out how the chemical detector works will prove critical here. Yay Google.

I believe the sticker on the battery to be an over-temperature sensor. I just dumped a spare battery into water and there was no color change.

I had a spare battery and had no color change on it when I wet just the sticker. However, I didn't soak it either.

Does anyone know the difference between the stickers on the bottom of the battery? My original battery has one red line through the sticker. The battery that came with my replacement had small xxx's going through the sticker.

Maybe indicating a refurbed battery?

04-06-09 06:01 AM
    I had a spare battery and had no color change on it when I wet just the sticker. However, I didn't soak it either.

Does anyone know the difference between the stickers on the bottom of the battery? My original battery has one red line through the sticker. The battery that came with my replacement had small xxx's going through the sticker.

Maybe indicating a refurbed battery?

I don't think that there is any difference. Mine are the same as yours. Some have a line whilst some have XXXs. Just different batches of batteries, I think. No proof though.
    04-06-09 06:19 AM
    I don't think that there is any difference. Mine are the same as yours. Some have a line whilst some have XXXs. Just different batches of batteries, I think. No proof though.

I was just curious. LOL! The sticker around the battery felt different too. I just figured the put a new sticker on a battery that someone had sent back. Who knows? I suppose if it works, it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks.

04-06-09 06:43 AM
    I don't think I have seen this posted in this thread. Is there a way to get ahold of extra stickers :P
    04-06-09 07:42 AM
    hi okay so this was a bit tragic.
    my girlfriend and i were on the phone and she broke up with me and i
    was crying, thus making water get into my phone but i was a bit to preoccupied at the moment to realize what i was doing. now the buttons on my blackberry storm don't work the only way i can turn my phone on is by taking out the battery. there isn't any signs of water damage to the battery the indicators are still fine but when the phone reboots you can see the water underneath the screen. also after i turn on the phone and it reboots and such it immediately shuts off. any suggestions on what i should do?
    04-21-09 10:27 PM
    hi okay so this was a bit tragic.
    my girlfriend and i were on the phone and she broke up with me and i
    was crying, thus making water get into my phone but i was a bit to preoccupied at the moment to realize what i was doing. now the buttons on my blackberry storm don't work the only way i can turn my phone on is by taking out the battery. there isn't any signs of water damage to the battery the indicators are still fine but when the phone reboots you can see the water underneath the screen. also after i turn on the phone and it reboots and such it immediately shuts off. any suggestions on what i should do?
    First of all, sorry to hear about your breakup. The good news is; she probably wasn't worth it and there are many more fish in the sea as they say!

As for your phone; I'd probably take out the battery and put it screen down in a bed of rice to have it take out the moisture from under the screen. The reason why I'm saying upside down (so screen at the bottom) is that hypothetically you minimize the chance of water or moisture reaching the sticker in some freakish way.

Somebody else may have a better idea!
    04-21-09 10:51 PM
    Try putting it in a shoebox with silica packets (the things that say do not eat)
    04-22-09 12:20 AM
    So you said the circle sticker on the phone had to be completely white? My battery line looks just like yours, but my sticker on the PHONE is red with a white line? any help?!
    06-23-09 09:08 AM
    So the previous post with the picture is very helpful thats what my battery looks like just white with the red line through it-so no water damage there. But my ACTUAL sticker on the side of my phone is RED with a WHITE line through the middle? does that mean water damage or is that correct no water damage? HELP!!
    06-23-09 09:10 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD