i bought my blackberry 8900 from the UK (Vodafone) but now im in Italy and it does not work to a IT number? can anyone please help me in unlocking my phone for FREE...
    03-25-09 06:19 AM
    First of all use the proper Curve 8900 forum in the future please.

Secondly no one is going to unlock your phone for free...also if its from Vodafone UK then the phone is already unlocked unless Vodafone have decided to start locking their phones to their network.

Anyways ring up Vodafone and get them to give you the code...obviously you will have to pay for it unless they are feeling nice and give it to u free of charge.
    03-25-09 07:43 AM
    If its locked email me.
    03-25-09 11:28 AM
    If its locked email me.
    I recently bought this Javelin 8900 (unlocked) from the market in UK, it's on Vodafone network although there's no Patent on the phone!!
    To check, i follow the procedure : Options > Adv Options > SIM Card and Type MEPD.. now all the 5 parameters there show disabled (unlocked)
    I tried to make it work in india on Vodafone network.. all's well.. my phone works but the problem is, apart from basic features like making calls, sending sms/mms and basic browser features, i can't do any other thing on it! No BIS (blackberry services) or anything of the sort.. no instant messengers and no blackberry applications work cuz they require BB's proper network
    pls NOTE : "EDGE" also comes in lower case "edge" all the time.. i tried everything possible and contacted my service providers too.. they've done their bit and have no solution to it because my SIM card is already activated with unlimited BB's data service plan.. i checked it when i put my SIM on another local BlackBerry device.. it works!
    Have tried showing my phone to best of Technical people around but all in VAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    now i'm wondering what my next move should be .. i'm far from UK at the moment..
    1. would MFI multiloader w/ erase and overwrite, help me in this situation!?? i'm not too familiar with it at the moment!!
    2. would directly installing on my Handheld, the Asia specific "Vodafone Device Software" help me!?? (meaning the UK based software on my phone would probably change!!)
    hope i don't mess things up like that!! i think my problem is so unique.. no one's mentioned this in any forums that i've searched so far.. PLS PEOPLE!! HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
    04-22-09 08:50 AM
    Is your BB PIN associated with another network, perhaps Vodafone UK??. If it is then until its released from Vodafone you will not be able to use any of the BB functions as you need a BIS plan on the phone.

So you need to find out if the PIN on the phone is already associated with another network..if it is then get them to release it. Have you tried to register the phone with Vodafone India on their BIS plan...if they have one that is??.
    04-22-09 08:56 AM
    I'm from india too .. I'm a bold user though and iv got an unlocked phone. But I was in ur shoes a couple of yrs back and was stuck with a bis locked phone.
    Ur only bet it sell it and buy a new 8900 .. In bbay I cud get u around 15 for ue curve and get u a new curve for around 23 unlocked

Nice seeing a fellow indian here..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 08:57 AM
    Ok... 8900 forum please.

04-22-09 09:04 AM
    I'M IMPRESSED!! IT'S A LOT FASTER HERE THAN I EXPECTED.. THANKS FOR THAT!!
    lolol @ sandos!! sowiee mate.. gotta get it done wherever its done sometimes

@ SPAWN ; how do i figure if my PIN is locked with any network service provider? although all my guesses go for Vodafone, UK!! and i wonder if they'd really be that kind to hand me over such sensitive info and do me a favor like that!!
    YES! we have BES and BIS both here, and i'm on full-time BIS plan.. althought what a waste.. but then i wouldn't be able to check if i get it de-activated.. *sigh!!!!!!

@ Arj ; thanks mate!! nice to hear from you any which way yea i'm gonna probably try the Vodafone Device software change on my phone and see if it works as for now!!
    i'm in bbay too btw!! cheers (",)

xx
    04-22-09 09:54 AM
    Leave the software alone, you probably don't need to touch it.

It sounds like your phone is not registered with your airtime provider's BIS system. Find their BIS website and try to register the phone's IMEI and PIN. You may get a surprise and have it accepted on the first attempt.
    04-22-09 10:13 AM

...obviously you will have to pay for it unless they are feeling nice and give it to u free of charge.

Just curious, how much would one have to pay for an unlock code? (ballpark US$)
    04-22-09 11:08 AM
    Just curious, how much would one have to pay for an unlock code? (ballpark US$)
    19 or cheaper on ebay
    04-22-09 11:17 AM
    WHAT A CONFUSION : CHECK WHETHER MY PIN IS ASSOCIATED WITH VODAFONE UK.. QUITE A DEAL IN ITSELF.. I HAD MY FRIEND CALL 'EM UP N THEY JUST WOULDN'T VOLUNTEER MUCH INFO, N FURTHER ASKED TO "PAY AS U GO" WHILE ONE EVEN SPEAKS TO THEM FOR ANY QUERIES.. WAHHHH!! N SORTA INDIFFERENT TOO.. I THINK I NEED SOMEONE THERE TO STORM INTO THEIR OFFICE N SOURCE OUT SOME REAL INFO!!
    Xx

04-22-09 04:19 PM
    Leave the software alone, you probably don't need to touch it.

It sounds like your phone is not registered with your airtime provider's BIS system. Find their BIS website and try to register the phone's IMEI and PIN. You may get a surprise and have it accepted on the first attempt.
    I did check it!! Personally went to service provider's bb website n manually configured my imei and pin.. Put up two email ids as well.. N this was ages ago tht. I did.. Prolly its something else.. This GLITCH whatever it is, I know will eventually be sorted n I'd shout out loud for in the end saying this whole thing was sucha bi*** .. So much for all this!!

I'm tryna ascertain at the moment whether my PIN is subscribed elsewhere or not at the moment.. My service provider says it can be n will be checked in a bit as their servers are down.. But at least we'll zero in on the problem!!
    Xx

04-22-09 05:07 PM
    WHAT A CONFUSION : CHECK WHETHER MY PIN IS ASSOCIATED WITH VODAFONE UK.. QUITE A DEAL IN ITSELF.. I HAD MY FRIEND CALL 'EM UP N THEY JUST WOULDN'T VOLUNTEER MUCH INFO, N FURTHER ASKED TO "PAY AS U GO" WHILE ONE EVEN SPEAKS TO THEM FOR ANY QUERIES.. WAHHHH!! N SORTA INDIFFERENT TOO.. I THINK I NEED SOMEONE THERE TO STORM INTO THEIR OFFICE N SOURCE OUT SOME REAL INFO!!
    Xx

04-22-09 05:24 PM
    We can unlock blackberry from Vodafone UK
    Like how!? Pls do enlighten me!!
    Xx

04-23-09 12:01 AM
    Ain't allowed u mean?

04-23-09 12:05 AM
    Ain't allowed u mean?

Means take a chill pill, people are trying to help you : )
    04-23-09 12:35 AM
    kkunal> did you try sending the service book? do you receive them. As long as you can register your pin and Imei and create your BIS account and all, it should not be a problem....
    04-23-09 05:29 AM
    Ain't allowed u mean?

No, it means when you capitalized everything it means you are shouting, and we don't like people shouting... so chill!!!
    04-23-09 06:27 AM
    I did check it!! Personally went to service provider's bb website n manually configured my imei and pin.. Put up two email ids as well.. N this was ages ago tht. I did.. Prolly its something else.. This GLITCH whatever it is, I know will eventually be sorted n I'd shout out loud for in the end saying this whole thing was sucha bi*** .. So much for all this!!

I'm tryna ascertain at the moment whether my PIN is subscribed elsewhere or not at the moment.. My service provider says it can be n will be checked in a bit as their servers are down.. But at least we'll zero in on the problem!!
    Xx

OK, here's a summary as I understand it now;
    Your phone is not locked to network (MEPD / Disabled).
    You have BIS enabled on the SIM you are trying to use.
    The SIM gives BIS access when tested on a borrowed phone.
    You have successfully registered the PIN and IMEI on your airtime provider's BIS website, and configured email for the phone.
    HOWEVER you still don't have functional BIS on the phone.

I'm guessing from earlier comments that you are trying to use Vodafone Essar with a SIM supplied in India.

I am pretty certain your phone is correctly registered with Voda Essar and not registered with any other service provider, because you were able to do the BIS website setup.

There are two steps you could try from the phone.
    1. Go to Options / Advanced Options/ Host Routing Table. (You should see a long list of numbers in the HRT) Hit Menu and select "Register Now".
    2. Go to the BIS website again and login. Look for the option to Send Service Books, and resend service books to your phone.

You can also go to Advanced Options / Service Book and see what is there and configured. It varies for each service provider, but you should have about 2 screens of entries.

Both actions should force correct data to be sent to your phone.

If this doesn't work it sounds like the problem is service provider side, or your phone's PIN has been blocked by RIM. PIN is often blocked for phones reported stolen or pre-release test phones after commercial release to market (phone is still owned by RIM). As you say your phone was unlocked and "no patent" (I assume you mean no carrier logo or branding) it is possible you have a pre-release phone which was sold illegally.

Your carrier should be able to ask RIM to confirm whether your PIN is valid.
    04-23-09 06:44 AM
    I'm from india too .. I'm a bold user though and iv got an unlocked phone. But I was in ur shoes a couple of yrs back and was stuck with a bis locked phone.
    Ur only bet it sell it and buy a new 8900 .. In bbay I cud get u around 15 for ue curve and get u a new curve for around 23 unlocked

Nice seeing a fellow indian here..

Tell me, once u got ur BBB unlocked, could u use it on any network with BB services!? Of course given a fact tht the phone has BIS service by the provider!

04-25-09 06:01 AM
    kkunal> did you try sending the service book? do you receive them. As long as you can register your pin and Imei and create your BIS account and all, it should not be a problem....
    I tried sending the service book.. And I don't receive anything apparently!! Its completely blank there!!
    Xx

04-25-09 06:05 AM
    OK, here's a summary as I understand it now;
    Your phone is not locked to network (MEPD / Disabled).
    You have BIS enabled on the SIM you are trying to use.
    The SIM gives BIS access when tested on a borrowed phone.
    You have successfully registered the PIN and IMEI on your airtime provider's BIS website, and configured email for the phone.
    HOWEVER you still don't have functional BIS on the phone.

I'm guessing from earlier comments that you are trying to use Vodafone Essar with a SIM supplied in India.

I am pretty certain your phone is correctly registered with Voda Essar and not registered with any other service provider, because you were able to do the BIS website setup.

There are two steps you could try from the phone.
    1. Go to Options / Advanced Options/ Host Routing Table. (You should see a long list of numbers in the HRT) Hit Menu and select "Register Now".
    2. Go to the BIS website again and login. Look for the option to Send Service Books, and resend service books to your phone.

You can also go to Advanced Options / Service Book and see what is there and configured. It varies for each service provider, but you should have about 2 screens of entries.

Both actions should force correct data to be sent to your phone.

If this doesn't work it sounds like the problem is service provider side, or your phone's PIN has been blocked by RIM. PIN is often blocked for phones reported stolen or pre-release test phones after commercial release to market (phone is still owned by RIM). As you say your phone was unlocked and "no patent" (I assume you mean no carrier logo or branding) it is possible you have a pre-release phone which was sold illegally.

Your carrier should be able to ask RIM to confirm whether your PIN is valid.
    I admire the way u have patiently replied to this thread, thanks!!
    Yes, u have figured it all very well as u summarized it all.. All the parameters have been correctly met with and STILL, I don't have functional BIS on my phone!!

Yes! My airtime provider is indeed Essar Vodafone in india.. And there is no doubt that I am registered on their website as well with my full username and password etc..

The two steps u mentioned about, I'd say when I go to Options/Adv Options/Host Routing Table, I don't see any list of numbers at all.. I rather see a complete blank screen.. So when I hit Menu, try the "register now" option, it just shows the data signal arrows on top right for two seconds but then nothing happens any which way!
    So I'm not too sure if I should move to the next step of going to the website of my airtime provider for BIS n try sending or re-sending service books from there..

Secondly, when I go to Advanced Options/Service Books.. There are just a few service records there about MMS, WAP, TCP-IP Browser, Vodafone live! and WAP Push browser.. That's all!!

I doubt its the service provider's side fault cuz then, nothing would've worked even on other BB hansets when I tested my SIM's services!!
    On the other hand, what if my PIN has been blocked by RIM!? Is there a way I can communicate with them or something!? I don't know where to write 'em!!
    Yes by saying my phone has "no patent" means it has no carrier logo or branding, perfect!
    Wondering what are the odds of my hanset's PIN being blocked or reported stolen to RIM.. Have to figure then how to connect to them about it!!

Lastly, I'm only wondering if I should now just try changing my phone's OS.. Like get essar vodafone's asia pacific based "device software" which, I downloaded the other day!! Maybe then it can easily come under Vodafone network and automatically recognize the BIS plan and stuff like that!???????? That's my last resort, before I lose all hope!!
    Can anyone advice me also, if I can contact RIM people about it!? If they'd HELP me on that!! I don't have their email or nothing.. Where can I write 'em!?????
    Mannnnnnn!!!!!!!!!! So much I'd face, NEVA FATHOMED!! Loving BB is hard sometimes eh!! LOL

Xx

04-25-09 11:42 AM
    I doubt its the service provider's side fault cuz then, nothing would've worked even on other BB hansets when I tested my SIM's services!!
    On the other hand, what if my PIN has been blocked by RIM!? Is there a way I can communicate with them or something!? I don't know where to write 'em!!
    Yes by saying my phone has "no patent" means it has no carrier logo or branding, perfect!
    Wondering what are the odds of my hanset's PIN being blocked or reported stolen to RIM.. Have to figure then how to connect to them about it!!

Lastly, I'm only wondering if I should now just try changing my phone's OS.. Like get essar vodafone's asia pacific based "device software" which, I downloaded the other day!! Maybe then it can easily come under Vodafone network and automatically recognize the BIS plan and stuff like that!???????? That's my last resort, before I lose all hope!!
    Can anyone advice me also, if I can contact RIM people about it!? If they'd HELP me on that!! I don't have their email or nothing.. Where can I write 'em!?????
    Mannnnnnn!!!!!!!!!! So much I'd face, NEVA FATHOMED!! Loving BB is hard sometimes eh!! LOL
    I am almost certain the source of your problem is at service provider or RIM, not within your phone. If you are not getting any fresh service books it sounds like the PIN is blocked. However it will not do any harm to try loading a different OS. (There is no major difference which might require the OS from Essar, but it will refresh the files and eliminate possibility of corrupted files)

You can't contact RIM directly - at least not easily and not without cost. However your service provider has a channel to RIM support.
    04-30-09 03:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD