As promised earlier, I just received my brand new T-Mobile Blackberry 8900 Javelin aka Curve 2 and put it up against my Bold. I kinda played with them for a few hours and wrote a little comparo.

Well this is not a total and complete review, nor is it one that is too technical. Just my observations and opinions on things that matter to me.

Bold on .247 OS, Curve on .250 OS.

I must say that both phones run and operate almost identically, with the edge in quality, fit and finish going to the Bold. The Bold's buttons are more pleasing to press and touch.

Namely, the issues of concern with respect to quality on the Curve are the 1) keyboard and 2) battery door (cover) on the rear. The keyboard on the Curve is the clicky-type--it makes noise when typing. This is not an issue of quality because it is designed that way. The quality issue has to do with the keyboard moving around just a tiny bit--enough to annoy me whereas the keyboard on the Bold is rock-solid and does not move whatsoever. Typing on the Curve, in my opinion, is more accurate, however typing on the bold is more comfortable. Needless to say, the Bold can be a better choice for bigger hands. The battery door on the Curve is nowhere near as tight and/or solid as the Bold's faux-leather door which is rock solid and tight. The door on my Curve has very slight gap on the left and right sides. You have to push on them to make it flush with the phone. Nothing too big, just an observation.

My next comparison are the cameras. As you know, the Bold features a 2MP camera while the Curve features a 3.2MP camera. Megapixels do not matter. Period. So let's get over that megapixel-marketing crap. As you can see below, however, both phone's cameras were set to the exact same setting, flash off, quality medium 1024x768, other settings not touched. Photos then resized using Irfanview (for web display) at 800x600 then saved at 85% quality as .JPG. Then hosted to photobucket. As you can see, the Curve's picture is much better and sharper due to the autofocusing feature on the Curve.

Guess which one is which?

Yes I could take more pictures but it's pretty easy to see the difference right away.

Audio/Video

This is subjective, of course, but in my opinion both devices display video in the same exact manner. Absolutely no difference in smoothness, quality, color, etc. Even the hue was identical. I played Mariah Carey's "Through the Rain" in HD from youtube.com.

The sound is distinct from one another. The Bold's speakers produced a slightly muddy, but overall fuller and bassier sound compared to the Curve. The Curve on the other hand produced a significantly clearer and sharper sound, though with less range than the Bold. I paused one while I played the other and vise versa over and over and over, even with different identical songs. It's hard to say which is the winner but in the end I guess I would prefer the Bold's sound over the Curve's. Although not as clear and sharp, the Bold's sound was slightly more pleasing to the ears at moderate volumes. At loud volumes the Bold gets muddier and the Curve stays crisp and sharp though the Bold wasn't unlistenable by any means.

One thing I wanted to point out... there's a music video by Lil Wayne called "Prom Queen" which bogs my Bold AND my friend's Bold and eventually freezes and locks up after 10-15 seconds of play. The Curve played this same video with absolutely NO problem or slowing. Played perfectly!!! I was completely surprised.

Speed

Booting both devices at the same time, the Bold was fully booted and acquiring signal and delivering e-mails 10 seconds before the Curve was fully booted. Nod goes to the Bold on boot time. I did notice that the Curve was slightly more zippy (less laggy) then the Bold while multitasking, starting/closing apps and scrolling through media. Not enough though to say one obliterates the other but I did find using the Curve a little more pleasing. This may be due to the higher internal memory! The Bold shows 45mb free while the Curve shows 137mb free!!!

Reception:

This test is inconclusive as I have not tried it at work. At work in my office, the Bold goes into SOS mode the second my hand goes near it to pick it up, respond to an SMS, BBM, etc. Drops signal immediately and takes forever to regain it. I will test this at work tomorrow and provide the result!!

I briefly tried ALT+NMLL "trick" and tried picking up both devices to see if the signal changes. The Bold's signal weakens significantly as I put my hand or myself next to it while the Curve's remains pretty stable. Maybe this is a fluke so again I'll try tomorrow.

The kicker for me is the reception. If the Curve gets reception in my office and HOLDS it, I will most likely keep the Curve. If it's the same deal, I'm keeping the Bold.

Overall it seems the Bold is the phone to have. It's more solid, more ergonomic (in my opinion), and just an overall easier phone to use. The buttons on the Bold are easier to press such as the side convenience or camera keys or the talk/end/menu buttons. The Curve's buttons are smaller thereby making it slightly more difficult to press quickly without making mistakes or hitting a nearby-button. The trackball is also easier to use for some reason, perhaps because its further from the keyboard. Although typing on the Curve seems more accurate to me, I still prefer long-winded messages typed on the Bold. OK well I've talked too much. Those are my thoughts. yea!
    Last edited by bmwmpower; 06-23-09 at 01:36 AM.
    06-23-09 01:30 AM
    Thanks .... why are these threads coming up again today like this is a new topic?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/fi...8900-a-253003/
    06-23-09 01:39 AM
    Even though I don't agree, it is your opinion. The curve is more quick because of the faster processor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 01:50 AM
    The curve has a faster processor? Since when? Do your research, buddy.
    06-23-09 01:58 AM
    My reasons for the tests go beyond if this or that is new... the main part of my test (for me personally) is tomorrow where I try the Curve in my office. I get horrible reception with the Bold there.

Thanks .... why are these threads coming up again today like this is a new topic?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/fi...8900-a-253003/
    06-23-09 01:59 AM
    curve is probably faster for multitasking cuz of more memory.. kinda like having lots of ram in ur pc.
    06-23-09 02:23 AM
    The curve has a faster processor? Since when? Do your research, buddy.
    No need to get your panties in a bunch. It is late, my error in putting wrong info. Meant to put more RAM(memory), you can call it brain-fart. Buddy..

06-23-09 02:53 AM
    My reasons for the tests go beyond if this or that is new... the main part of my test (for me personally) is tomorrow where I try the Curve in my office. I get horrible reception with the Bold there.
    I hear ya, I guess. Its just that all this has been done to exhaustion at this point. You could have easily just included your information in one of the existing threads already on this topic instead of creating a new one.
    06-23-09 09:39 AM
    Right no one would find it that way though. Besides why do that when I could just post a thread?

I hear ya, I guess. Its just that all this has been done to exhaustion at this point. You could have easily just included your information in one of the existing threads already on this topic instead of creating a new one.
    06-23-09 09:45 AM
    As stated above, it's not quicker in every situation. It really is so close that it doesn't matter.

Even though I don't agree, it is your opinion. The curve is more quick because of the faster processor.

06-23-09 09:46 AM
    Right no one would find it that way though. Besides why do that when I could just post a thread?
    No one would find it? ... carry on.
    06-23-09 09:49 AM
    The reception problem you have in your office, has this happened with any other phone besides your Bold?
    06-23-09 10:05 AM
    I've always heard that the 8900's speakerphone was not even a comparison to the Bold's, so that's interesting. (Admitedly I have not ever heard the 8900...)
    06-23-09 12:04 PM
    I for 1 can appreciate ur comparison, as this
    was exactly what I was looking for as I am deciding
    between an unlocked Bold for T-mo or the 8900 for
    T-mo.

Were these the same comparison u were making or for
    different carriers? As it some have said the 8900 performs
    better on T-mo because of the UMA & enhanced EDGE, but
    I love the build of Bold over the 8900. It feels alot more solid
    and well put together, and my hands are not big by any means.

Any more infor/insight u can give on this subject would be greatly
    appreciated. Thnx.
    06-23-09 12:25 PM
    I for 1 can appreciate ur comparison, as this
    was exactly what I was looking for as I am deciding
    between an unlocked Bold for T-mo or the 8900 for
    T-mo.

Were these the same comparison u were making or for
    different carriers? As it some have said the 8900 performs
    better on T-mo because of the UMA & enhanced EDGE, but
    I love the build of Bold over the 8900. It feels alot more solid
    and well put together, and my hands are not big by any means.

Any more infor/insight u can give on this subject would be greatly
    appreciated. Thnx.
    Check out the comparison thread link in my signature.
    06-23-09 02:36 PM
    Actually... More people would find it since it would have bumped that thread to the top of the forum and to the top of everyone subscribed list that are subscribed to that thread.

Just an FYI
    06-23-09 02:43 PM
    If you own both of these like me, you know they are different and both have some things better than the other. For this reason, I use both. The exciting thing is that future models will combine the strengths of these in a nearly perfect device. Bring on the Onyx.
    06-23-09 06:18 PM
    As promised earlier, I just received my brand new T-Mobile Blackberry 8900 Javelin aka Curve 2 and put it up against my Bold. I kinda played with them for a few hours and wrote a little comparo.

My next comparison are the cameras. As you know, the Bold features a 2MP camera while the Curve features a 3.2MP camera. Megapixels do not matter. Period. So let's get over that megapixel-marketing crap. As you can see below, however, both phone's cameras were set to the exact same setting, flash off, quality medium 1024x768, other settings not touched. Photos then resized using Irfanview (for web display) at 800x600 then saved at 85% quality as .JPG. Then hosted to photobucket. As you can see, the Curve's picture is much better and sharper due to the autofocusing feature on the Curve.
    Pretty ignorant comments. Megapixels most certainly do matter.

06-24-09 08:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD