the best os ive ever installed on my 8900

loved the shortcut for application switcher its now menu button 1 sec press
    04-02-09 08:08 PM
    Trying to install latest os on 8900. After loading to pc, I dont see vendor xm that I always remove. Only see xm. What am I doing wrong???
    04-02-09 08:22 PM
    I am brand new to Crackberry. I posted in another forum, but I probably should of posted here originally. I'm having problems updating to the official .199 OS. I followed the directions given in the link to upgrade OS for beginners and when it finished updating, my OS remain the same at .114 Please help, the battery life on this OS is terrible. Thanks in advance
    04-02-09 09:37 PM
    Well you need to give better details as to what it is that you're doing so we can help troubleshoot.
    Have you used crackmem?

ps. Welcome to Crackberry!
    04-02-09 09:39 PM
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

ok so i downloaded the .119 OS and instead of installing it, I went directly to the C:// and deleated a file named "Device" (XML Document). Then after I deleated I clicked the loader and installed through usb. After completion, my blackberry 8900 restarted and showed and "Reload Software:507".

I totally forgot to INSTALL the thing first...

HOW DO I FIX THIS ERROR?!?!?!!?
    04-02-09 09:41 PM
    Thank you. I haven't used crackmem, in fact I don't know what crackmem is, lol . I'm very new to BB. I installed the OS v4.6.1.199 onto my computer, opened the desktop software, selected application loader and updated application, all the programs that were highlighted including software. When it was done updating checked the OS it never changed.
    04-02-09 09:44 PM
    Try this out.. It clears out your phone properly according to reviews, and then it will install the OS.

Read the instructions first too and make sure you have installed .199.exe already.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crackmem-v2-x-released-52044/
    04-02-09 09:50 PM
    You can even try opening "Loader.exe" from the same folder that the device.xml is in. That loader might work better than using desktop manager. Loader.exe in the folder, uses and older version of DM and works better with OS installations.
    04-02-09 09:53 PM
    OK, I will try and report back. Thanks
    04-02-09 09:59 PM
    Can you give me specific instructions, Im a bb newbie.
    04-02-09 10:01 PM
    If it hasn't been stated already, desktop manager 4.6 is the preferred version for our phones.

I would also suggest jlcmdr over crackmem for wiping your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 10:35 PM
    Yay!!! Well I got this up and running so I am happy. I think it was running
    .114. I guess, my question is what difference does it make if the operating systems are current? Does it do anything for my phone?
    Last edited by LawDude956; 04-02-09 at 11:03 PM.
    04-02-09 11:00 PM
    I'd like to know why RIM don't release some kind of change log with their official releases so people know what the build is addressing and improving upon. Is it because there are so many updates for so many different carriers? I guess I don't get the logic behind official OS releases...shouldn't each one be an improvement over the last in all areas? It seems there are trade offs with each new release that comes out?
    04-02-09 11:15 PM
    Hi Everyone

I installed .199 and its been solid so far. For the past few hours, my UMA signal hasnt been dropping. Browser seems a little bit faster.
    04-02-09 11:59 PM
    I'd like to know why RIM don't release some kind of change log with their official releases so people know what the build is addressing and improving upon. Is it because there are so many updates for so many different carriers? I guess I don't get the logic behind official OS releases...shouldn't each one be an improvement over the last in all areas? It seems there are trade offs with each new release that comes out?
    Unfortunately programming does not work like that. Adding/altering a line of code could possibly cause problems with another piece of code, and the larger it is the more complicated it is.
    04-03-09 12:11 AM
    Yay!!! Well I got this up and running so I am happy. I think it was running
    .114. I guess, my question is what difference does it make if the operating systems are current? Does it do anything for my phone?
    each update comes with its pro's and con's. This new update might work well for you with regards to what features you use ie. sms, wifi, youtube, apps, edge, uma, etc. Some other users will experience worse problems when they upgrade. Its very opinion based and subjective. Ultimately, RIM tried putting out OS's that have been improved and built upon previous versions.

I think ultimately the biggest difference users experience with new OS's is battery life differences and processing speed when using the phone.
    04-03-09 02:08 AM
    the platform is different here than on my bb is that going to be a problem? mine is 4.2.0.95 is that because im running hybrid?
    04-03-09 02:56 AM
    Thanks!

Love CJK support!
    04-03-09 04:17 AM
    Ok I select the .199 OS and click next....it does its thing for about 30 seconds then says no updated required for your device....any suggestions?

Edit: Have wiped w/ JL_cmdr and still get the same error.

Edit: so i went into C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and found the loader App, ran that and the update worked. Anybody think that isn't a good way to go about things?
    did the same to me, so i went back and saw that the old vers was still checked. unchecked it, clicked 'next' and it started loading.
    took about 30 minutes - way faster than expected

good luck to you
    04-03-09 04:51 AM
    I've run .114, .168, .174 and now .199. Battery life for me maybe slightly better on .174, but with .199 I'm getting a more stable UMA connection with my wi-fi at home. Also with .199 there is the cool hold down the blackberry button to bring up the app switcher shortcut. No lagging problems.
    hey docfu, where is that cool button?
    i downloaded .199 and all seemed fine. dont see any new buttons though. thanks
    04-03-09 04:54 AM
    Vicious_Cid, thanks!
    04-03-09 04:56 AM
    hey docfu, where is that cool button?
    i downloaded .199 and all seemed fine. dont see any new buttons though. thanks
    If you hold down the blackberry key for a few seconds the "Application Manager" pops up to show you what applications are running.
    04-03-09 07:32 AM
    Ah damn I had set up my left button to do that! Guess I'll have to change hehe

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-09 08:34 AM
    .168 has been working perfectly for me so far so and the battery life kicks a$$ so I'll probably stick with this OS until I see proof that .199 is better.
    04-03-09 10:40 AM
    The only proof you will get is by installing it and running with your habit and usage... but if you are happy... no real reason to change
    04-03-09 11:49 AM
203 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD