Anyone notice this?

I picked up an 8900 a few weeks ago - great device by the way!

One of the main features that had attracted me was the wifi. This was the first time owning a BB device with wifi. I noticed how RIM and the SP mention the device comes with wifi and that if you're in a hotspot you can have free this and free that though that is not completely true......

I've been noticing there are certain things you cannot still do while using wifi. Example is: There are certain apps I thought I can use now while using wifi but I've come to realize that when trying to run these apps they require a service plan???? Weather Network is one, Facebook is another, and I also believe Google Maps..... This is a huge dissapointment as I am already paying a lot for service and yet I can still not use these apps threw a wifi connection??? What is up with that?

Is it like this for all SP's? I'm on Rogers and it seems like this is how they work.

I'm courious to know if this is the same for an iPhone or iTouch as they're wifi compatible devices?

Even though I love my 8900 I am really upset about this.

Has there been discussions about this in the past?
    12-23-08 10:38 AM
    Anyone notice this?

I picked up an 8900 a few weeks ago - great device by the way!

One of the main features that had attracted me was the wifi. This was the first time owning a BB device with wifi. I noticed how RIM and the SP mention the device comes with wifi and that if you're in a hotspot you can have free this and free that though that is not completely true......

I've been noticing there are certain things you cannot still do while using wifi. Example is: There are certain apps I thought I can use now while using wifi but I've come to realize that when trying to run these apps they require a service plan???? Weather Network is one, Facebook is another, and I also believe Google Maps..... This is a huge dissapointment as I am already paying a lot for service and yet I can still not use these apps threw a wifi connection??? What is up with that?

Is it like this for all SP's? I'm on Rogers and it seems like this is how they work.

I'm courious to know if this is the same for an iPhone or iTouch as they're wifi compatible devices?

Even though I love my 8900 I am really upset about this.

Has there been discussions about this in the past?
    Take your concerns up with the third-party software programmers. They are the ones who have the mobile network preferences hard-coded into their applications.

If you have your connection preferences set to "Wi-fi only", or "Wi-fi Preferred" all the native BB applications will respect and adhere to that. Most third-party software will too, but obviously there are exceptions.

These things you mention are all the third-party utilities which assumed BB users would have a data plan and likely weren't programmed with wi-fi in mind.
    12-23-08 11:30 AM
    i tried the same thing with a Bold the other week and there were a few built in functions that wouldn't use the WiFi.. i too am confused by this and kind of bummed.
    12-23-08 12:21 PM
    Also, the apps were likely designed with *all* BBs in mind which of course they don't all have wifi. What they do all have is data ability. Thusly they were likely designed with that idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-08 01:06 PM
    Check out the guide in my signature for WiFi

There is a link within this guide that addresses Third Party apps that work with WiFi only, etc.
    12-23-08 01:09 PM

If you cant access these apps through wifi, arent you still able to access them at that spot using your data plan??
    12-23-08 01:27 PM
    BMC... Thanks i'll check it out...

TOAN... the key for me is no data plan. as i do not have a need for data. but it would be nice to update / access the OTA stuff via WIFI. I am in front of a PC most of the time and the times i'm not i dont NEED to get my email so it isn't worth the $$ for data.

GREG... great point. i just assumed that some of the built in BB native stuff would support wifi or OTA..

i took the bold back waiting for the 8900. so i'll have to deal with all this again once i get my paws on a 8900
    12-23-08 02:26 PM
    Thanks all for your feedback.

My service plan only consists of unlimited email and voice no internet service. I thought I can just use the wifi for that not thinking it would be limited to it's use.....

I'll have to check out BMC's thread.

Thanks again!
    12-23-08 02:39 PM
    @Alva
    I didn't notice you were on Rogers.

You can download Opera Mini and it should allow you to browse on the $15 email plan... also MSN works on that plan. It uses EDGE data but you won't be billed for it if you're on the $15 email plan. I did this on my Pearl for a year.
    12-23-08 02:48 PM
    i assume you are on that $45 bb msging plan? if i were you i would choose the 500mb one for the same price, msging doesnt consume much data, and 500mb is plenty for other bb use.
    12-23-08 04:40 PM
    I'd say this is a huge oversight. All apps should adhere to whatever connection preferences you have set up, ie wifi over network. Third party software writers should at least make it an option in their apps.

12-23-08 07:41 PM
    With the $45 BB messaging plan, it works for me, although the restrictions on it are a little ridiculous. I can't get images in an HTML email, but yet I can view any attachments. I also can't use a lot of other applications that use data; even when on wifi. If the 500MB option had some txt included; that would be great, but otherwise I guess I'll live with the restrictions. As it is, the $45 messaging plan + $7 for call/name display is enough to pay each month. Voicemail goes through PhoneTag at 35 cents a message in a transcribed email.. usually only a few bucks a month for transcribed messages.
    01-18-09 08:49 PM
    honestly i think i got one of the better deals for my bb.
    $10 - voice plan with ehanced vm, 250 daytime minutes
    $30 - unlimited email, text (sms & mms), IM, and 500MB browsing
    my bill after taxes ans service fees come to $53. They don't offer the plan like that anymore they changed it to the $45 plan with not quite as much stuff.......it's a shame.
    01-30-09 05:16 PM
    I use wifi for it's speed and pay for uma calling to save minutes, but there is a lot of discussion about using data and having the BIS. There is also a lot about WiFi's limited usefulness. Seriously, one needs to have BIS to take advantage of all the features of a blackberry. Now I am not giving you a hard time because you may have not been told the truth when you bought your device, but these smartphones are not for those looking to do things cheaply. They are premium devices designed to run with premium plans.

01-30-09 05:43 PM
    but these smartphones are not for those looking to do things cheaply. They are premium devices designed to run with premium plans
    I think what you meant to say is that they are ideally designed to run with premium plans. However, the beauty of the blackberry 8900, is that if you spend the majority of your time in a WiFi zone, and you don't want to pay $65/mo, you can totally get by without a data plan, simply by loading the appropriate WiFi friendly apps

Hey, I'm also with Rogers, and it is obvious in their interest that you do subscribe to their data plans, so they will try the best to convince you that you CANNOT use your blackberry without a dataplan, however, there are ways around it

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    01-30-09 09:36 PM
    I think it is worth noting here that while it might be possible to run your Blackberry without a BIS or BES plan it will be a lot of additional setup to get this to happen. Not saying that is a bad thing, just be forewarned. On top of that when you go WiFi only, you really no longer have a Blackberry. The Blackberry concept is built on the platform of push email at its core. Once you take that away form the phone, you are really not using the phone to the best of its abilities and you also not using it like it was designed to be used.

With that said, if you do not have much money to spend and are around enough WiFi hotspots then by all means give it a shot. Just keep in mind everything I stated above. My wife currently uses my old 8310 with no data plan at all. At the same time, all she uses the phone for is talking, SMS and an alarm clock. I don't even think she plays brickbreaker (that's sad I know).
    01-30-09 10:06 PM
    Once you take that away form the phone, you are really not using the phone to the best of its abilities and you also not using it like it was designed to be used.
    aristile, I think that is a very fair summary of the limitations of not using a data plan, and I want to thank you for coming forward with such a 'balanced' view. I agree, that preloading additional software, and 'modding' the device to take advantage of it's additional connectivity options (i.e. WiFi, GPS) is indeed a lot more complex.

Having said that, however, I believe that the entire Blackberry community can stand to benefit from additional WiFi support in future software releases. Not only are we talking about the financial benefit (i.e. free unlimited internet usage), but in the case of the 3G-less 8900, significantly higher data transmission rates. It's important to note, that a growing number of education centres have WiFi throughout the entire campus, and that an increasing number of students are also opting for Blackberries over iToys

Being a student myself, I would like to take the lead in helping a growing minority of non-data plan blackberry users make the most out of the HackBerry, while concurrently acknowledging the additional difficulty that this endeavour entails.
    01-30-09 11:08 PM
    Sonni, I really did mean what I said. The 8900 is my second WiFi capable BlackBerry. I use WiFi while at home and many hot spot locations, but I have witnessed the limitations of large WiFi networks such as at colleges and my workplace. I am all for people being able to get as much out of their devices as cheaply as possible, but I also think one shouldn't buy a Ferarri if you can't afford premium gas. The BIS addon with TMo is actually not that expensive, but if one can't afford it, maybe one should look at buying something else until their circumstances improve. I've been there myself and understand, but the OP said he wasn't aware of the limited capability of his device without a data plan. I wanted to point out that the subject has been covered extensivly at CB and other websites. I was a student once and know the frugal lifestyle - and I'm sorry some can't afford to use their devices to their capabilities. It is a choice one makes for a better future.

01-30-09 11:37 PM
    I'm a student now and I would say wifi is enough for what I need and where I need it. I use my blackberry mainly for email and keep track of my schedule and wifi so far seem enough to satisfy all that since I can't justify paying for BIS right now. I know wifi have its limitation but it's better than nothing.
    01-30-09 11:41 PM
    I would say wifi is enough for what I need and where I need it
    Exactly my point, the concept of a good fit is subjective to the demands and expectations of the owner. The beauty of the device is that it has the horsepower to run like a Ferrari on premium gas, or get you from point A to point B on cheap unleaded (sorry couldn't resist the metaphor)
    01-30-09 11:46 PM
    I'm a student too with a Blackberry, and I do pony up the money for the BIS plan. I love the push email, and sometimes the Wi-Fi on my campus isn't always reliable. I also tether quite a bit with my Blackberry. I know I do have to pay more, but I think it's worth it for my own needs.
    01-30-09 11:58 PM
    Haha, the metaphor is fine. And as long as one isn't disappointed or feel misled, we understand each other completely. At least when you do return to premium, you won't need a valve job to repair the damage caused by running regular unleaded through your engine.

Last edited by exelant; 01-31-09 at 12:01 AM.
    01-30-09 11:58 PM
    At least when you do return to premium, you won't need a valve job to repair the damage caused by running regular unleaded through your engine.
    Exactly, what I've been looking for in a smartphone, and yes, exelant, we do understand each other perfectly
    S

PS ... Too tired to continue automotive metaphor
    01-31-09 12:11 AM
    It has run it's course? I have run out of gas as well. Good night all, 5AM comes too quickly.

01-31-09 12:21 AM
    Guys this really has turned into a great and informative thread in my opinion. Thanks for being helpful regardless that we each have different viewpoints and opinions on this topic. I really do think this is a great discussion.

@sonni_kuba - You are correct in that you represent the "new generation" of Blackberry users. The platform started by supporting business users with email and now the products have developed so well that different types of users can enjoy the RIM products. I think this is really great and it shows how solid and well-developed of a concept Blackberry is. As long as you are willing to put in the work, it is possible to get a useful Blackberry device without purchasing either a BIS or a BES plan. I bet we will begin to see more applications built to work with WiFi as more Blackberry devices are coming with a WiFi connection.

With all that said if you can afford the BIS or BES, it is MUCH easier to use a Blackberry.
    01-31-09 12:25 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD