While many of us prefer the Silicone cases, other prefer the hard snap on variety. Whats your preference and why?

I've always used a silicone case on my iPhone, but I've seen the ones RIM produces and they seem to be very flimsy... like they really wouldnt be of any protection if the phone was dropped.
    01-26-09 01:32 PM
    Hey smijes.I havent decided yet.. I have my 8900 coming this week, and was debating the skin vs the seido one..
    I have skins on my 8100 and love it, I have not had any issues with it even when dropped, but thats very few times, due to the tacky grip of the skin.. but my brother uses the seido hard ones on his curve and storm..
    01-26-09 01:39 PM
    Phantom Skinz with an OEM leather pouch.
    01-26-09 01:49 PM
    I am one generation back, but I love leather cases. I admit it... I like to match my belt and shoes...
    01-26-09 01:49 PM
    I don't use cases any longer ever since I realized that cnn.cn has complete replacement housing for Blackberries at a descent price (at least in my opinion). If my phone gets really messed up, I'd rather just replace the housing. Plus it gives you the option of change the color down the road as more options come along.

I did, however, order the Invisible Shield yesterday to give that a shot. I never used those before but many seem to like them. I got the pre-order discount at 50% off so it seemed like a good time to try it out to me. Other than that I will just replace my housing if necessary.

I would recommend placing a screen protector over the display as soon as you get the phone. The 8900 does not have an additional plastic protector over the screen as the 83xx series did as part of the housing. What you see on the 8900 is the actual LCD so if you scratch that, you will not be a happy camper.
    01-26-09 01:55 PM
    While many of us prefer the Silicone cases, other prefer the hard snap on variety. Whats your preference and why?

I've always used a silicone case on my iPhone, but I've seen the ones RIM produces and they seem to be very flimsy... like they really wouldnt be of any protection if the phone was dropped.
    Actually, the genuine RIM silicon cases are quite nice. I had one on my Curve 8320 and must have dropped it at least a dozen times from 4 feet up, sometimes onto concrete, sometimes asphault, etc. Not 1 scratch or ding ended up on the phone itself, and the skin still looked brand new when I sold it this past weekend (with the phone, of course). Needless to say, I have another one for the 8900 coming in the mail tomorrow and a screen protector coming in a couple weeks most likely since it won't ship until tomorrow (InvisiShield).

I hate leather cases, they're just too bulky. I like slim and streamlined, while maintaining functionality. I'll be sticking with my silicon case.
    01-26-09 01:56 PM
    where are you ordering your screen protectors from?
    01-26-09 02:00 PM
    where are you ordering your screen protectors from?
    For the ZAGG Invisible Sheild:
    ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Blackberry Curve 8900 (Javelin) Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield
    01-26-09 02:04 PM
    Yeah Skin here - need screen protector - ASAP! (in Europe)
    01-26-09 02:05 PM
    Haha i generally havent got the patience to put one of those on without messing it up royally! i may give it a shot though
    01-26-09 02:05 PM
    Haha i generally havent got the patience to put one of those on without messing it up royally! i may give it a shot though
    That's the beauty of ZAGG's protectors, you actually spray a small amount of liquid onto the protector, then position it appropriately. You have some time to move it around and get it right before it sets. EVEN THEN if it's still not perfect, you can just peel it off, re-apply the liquid (I think it's just water) from the spray bottle and try again.

Here's a video on how to install it:

EDIT: If you saw the last video posted, it was for the iPhone. Found this one which is for the 8900.
    Last edited by howejustin; 01-26-09 at 02:12 PM.
    01-26-09 02:08 PM
    I use a sheer pink RIM silicone that I got from Verizon. I swap it out every couple of days for a cute black silicone that I ordered from eBay. It is black with fushia flowers on the back. Very girly and soFAB! I always use screen protectors. I get them at Verizon.
    01-26-09 02:17 PM
    I use a sheer pink RIM silicone that I got from Verizon. I swap it out every couple of days for a cute black silicone that I ordered from eBay. It is black with fushia flowers on the back. Very girly and soFAB! I always use screen protectors. I get them at Verizon.
    Good luck finding a screen protector for the 8900 at Verizon...
    01-26-09 02:19 PM
    i just ordered the zagg screen protector also, and will use a different brand for now until it comes in, and I ordered a skin again. I may order the seido case to try it...and i ordered the mini to micro usb adapter from amazon for 2.20!
    01-26-09 02:23 PM
    I like the silicon cases because I feel they absorb more shock whereas hard cases transfer shock. I usually go with a combo of the zagg screen and body shield plus the silicon case during the week, then just the phone in my pocket on the weekends. I hate bulky stuff in my pocket.
    01-26-09 02:37 PM

Def the silicone cover.. i have dropped my phone and it just bounced...no damage done!! I love my skin plus they come in adorable colors ha ha!!
    01-26-09 02:38 PM
    I don't like the Invisible Shield protectors at all... after some days they look old and dirty so my storm looked **** after a couple of days.

Now I got my 8900 and I will never ever buy anything like this for it. The screen is even scratch resistance as long as you dont have some **** like sand in your pocket etc.
    01-26-09 02:41 PM
    i agree with the guy above me. never been a fan of screen protecters. ive never messed up a screen that bad to where ive needed one either.
    01-26-09 02:46 PM
    i;m waiting for my invisible shield to come in from ZAGG..

and i will be using this with it:

01-26-09 03:28 PM
    Invisible skin ordered. Jeeze! Does it go across the camera lenze too?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 03:44 PM
    For my old curve 8320 I have the seidio crystal clear case and I put it in a rex regina side case. I'm hoping that the rex regina case will fit the 8900 and I will wait on the seidio case as they are not out yet. I got the silicone case and the otterbox for the 8320, silicone not enough protection and otterbox just too heavy.
    01-26-09 04:08 PM
    I don't like the Invisible Shield protectors at all... after some days they look old and dirty so my storm looked **** after a couple of days.

Now I got my 8900 and I will never ever buy anything like this for it. The screen is even scratch resistance as long as you dont have some **** like sand in your pocket etc.

Me either I had it on my G-1 YUCK! It looks dirty after awhile and dust and dirt settles in the corners. I had on **** of a time installing it with a gazzilion pieces that I had to match up with my phone. When I eventually took it off it looked a little bit brown. I will never buy another one even if they gave it to me for free

I love leather cases and I order one from Thecellguru.com the prices were really cheap! I love leather pockets too. I am a waitress so I like the slimness of them so I can hide them in my apron lol
    01-26-09 05:01 PM
    Creator is hottie!, isn't she? so anyway If I were you, I would use a pouch..
    01-26-09 09:47 PM
    Personally I don't like the leather pouches...they're slippery (slide around in my car), bulky, and make the phone harder to get to. With my 8320, I just used a silicone case and no screen protector. With my 8900, I bought an Invisible Shield screen protector and am debating between a silicone case and this:
    Seidioonline - Your Leading Manufacturer of Smartphone Accessories .
    Any idea when these are due to come out?
    01-26-09 10:23 PM
    i always use the OEM leather holster and wear it on my belt... the curve 8900 is still quite big to pocket...
    01-27-09 01:39 AM
218 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD