I'm not currently a BB user but with my contract comming to an end in the next 2 months i'm set on a BB for my new phone, although like many from what I have read, tied between the Bold and the new Curve (8900).

I think one of the overlooked factors between the two phones is the build quality. I personally can do with out 3g, and a slightly faster processor as a trade off for being a bit smaller, the curves keyboard, and a higher resolution screen, and a higher megapixel camera (not that cameras on phones are of interest to me but it might be for some).

The one factor I have not heard a lot about is possibly the most important to me and others, how well are the two constructed, is the bold robust, or is their flimsy bits of plastic, faux leather that peals off, gaps inbetween screen keypad, sides e.t.c.

From pictures the 8900 looks like a steady, abusable device, with a metal back and sides (or is it just cheaply painted silver plastic around the side and bottom - like the bold's of which shows its white plastic after a few too many scuffs)

So - Which is more robust, which will last the longest (average user i.e. doesn't treat too rough, but will drop it or scuff it from occasion to occasion)

9000 vs 8900?

On a side note, does anyone know what network carrier(s) the 8900 will be on at launch in the UK? Fingers crossed it releases on O2.

Thanks.
    11-30-08 03:57 PM
    I can't speak much for the Bold because I have only used one in a store on a few occasions. It felt pretty solid to me. I have read some complaints in the Bold forum that some have complained about the silver trim. I would suggest looking there for more information and feedback on this.

As for the 8900, I can tell you that I have an 8310 and I think it is a very solid device. I really have no complaints about the build quality at all. I did have a Seido case to protect it but the phone was accidentally dropped both with and without the case and held up great in either situation. The 8900 appears to be built even stronger than the 83xx phones so I have no concerns with the phone's build quality or durability.

I have also recently discovered that the replacement housing for the blackberry phones is about the same price as a good case. So in the future I will just use the phone with no case and in the event the phone gets badly scratched or otherwise damaged I will replace the housing.
    11-30-08 04:40 PM
    Yeh, to be honest i'm very much interested in the 8900, the bold is a bit too flash for my liking, i'd be more worried about damaging it and it doesn't appear to be as robust as the 8900 which is a major selling point to me, was just wondering if some one has actually held both and could compare the durability of the two against each other.

Would be a shame if the 8900 doesn't launch on O2 in the UK as the bold has, the effort involved in switching numbers across, especially as the two are so closed matched. I may just pick up a bold if that is the case.
    11-30-08 04:45 PM
    yea this too was a question i wanted an answer to
    11-30-08 04:45 PM
    Reviews have said that the 8900 feels very even, full, and balanced in the hand when compared to the 83xx. The keys are said to feel solid without any gaps. Overall it sounds like it'll be great.

The thing I'm leery about with the 8900 is the chrome bezel. If it's anything like the Bold's, you're going to get some chipping. Hopefully it isn't like that or they have some good replacements.
    11-30-08 05:09 PM
    Well from what I have heard, the "chrome" on the bold is just silver painted plastic like a cheap toy - I have no confirmation that the 8900's is real metal but from pictures it does look it, and the back cover is metal.
    11-30-08 05:19 PM
    If I were you id look at device reviews comparing the Bold vs. the Storm. According to Kevin and other insiders who have both devices, the curve 8900 borrows most of its styling queues from the storm, or vice versa. On BGR, the review stated that the chrome bezel around the curve 8900 seemed more durable/sturdy than that of the Bold. The chrome bezel around the storm is the same material/finish as the curve 8900.

"It might just be us, but the fake chrome bezel around the 8900 actually seems like it’s more equipped to handle rough usage than the Bold is. We could be wrong, but at first glance it looks like a tougher material or finish. You know how our original Bold fared" -BGR
    BlackBerry Curve 8900 hands on : Boy Genius Report

The only bad review I read about the device was a problem with the back battery door. Supposedly the door seems flimsy and collapses inward when you press down . Also, according to him, the door is not fully secured and moves around a bit but can be fixed using masking tape underneath. Im not so sure about his review though since it seemed very evident that he was very biased in favor of the bold.
    Last edited by jlim2452001; 11-30-08 at 05:26 PM.
    11-30-08 05:23 PM
    Well it would be very careless of RIM to release a phone with such an obvious flaw (as in the back door being a bit flimsy), this could be because it had been man handled a lot or was a demo version? Seen quite a few reviews in which the 8900 has the old trackball as it was not the fully finished version of the phone, just given out for reviewers to do their thing.

Yeh from the looks of things the chrome bazel on both is plastic but as you said jlim2452001 looks like it can withstand a bit more.

Looks like the Curve 8900 is the phone for me, it's not that i'm careless but the bold looks like it needs to be kept in a case, were as the 8900 looks like it can withstand some risky throws.
    11-30-08 05:32 PM
    yeah i agree with you realityuk, Im in the same boat as you. I was awaiting the Bold release for quite some time, but when it finally released here in the US i started getting antsy about the javelin/curve 8900. I think the device is pretty sweet and the majority of the reviewers seem to agree. My older brother has the bold, Its a very nice device but I feel that the curve 8900 is sharper aesthetically and seems more convenient for everyday use. I have no gripes with the Bold, but it just seems that the curve 8900 is the device to beat. I've held the storm as well and it feels very nice in the hand, all in all, I feel that the curve 8900 will be one wicked device.
    11-30-08 06:02 PM
    I've heard good and bad things about the Storm, but when it comes down to it, physical keyboard any day for me. I'm going to wonder down to the O2 and Carphonewarehouse stores tomorrow to see if they can give me any insight into the 8900's release networks, they must know by now, its 20 days till release, and CWH has signed deals for it. I hope I don't have to go back to T-mobile, there service was less than satisfactory in the past.
    11-30-08 06:10 PM
    good posts
    11-30-08 07:21 PM
    i've had the bold for some months. switched since one week to a javelin (from tmo germ.).
    the build quality is good - but not compared to the bold. the back is a very thin 'plastic' sheet, not metal as i would like to look on pictures. it is very slippery.
    but the device.... ist great, not so big and heavy as the bold, an if you do not need all times fast downloads, so will not recognice that the javelin has no umts.
    12-01-08 01:48 AM
    i've had the bold for some months. switched since one week to a javelin (from tmo germ.).
    the build quality is good - but not compared to the bold. the back is a very thin 'plastic' sheet, not metal as i would like to look on pictures. it is very slippery.
    but the device.... ist great, not so big and heavy as the bold, an if you do not need all times fast downloads, so will not recognice that the javelin has no umts.
    interesting...

does it have a ring around the trackball that lights up?
    12-01-08 09:35 AM
    yes, it has a ring around the trackball that lights up.
    12-02-08 04:31 AM
    I am also considering getting the 8900. I have had the bold since the second week it was released.The things I find irritating are;
    -the screen is very sensitive and ripple just by touching it
    -someone mentioned the silver trim.. definitely very cheap. Its so cheap that its fading off on the top right where it touches my ear/hair. Either that or my hair gel has paint thinner in it...lol
    I have never dropped my Bold, yet the trim is scratched all around the trim.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 12-02-08 at 11:01 AM.
    12-02-08 10:51 AM
    oops.... double post sorry mods
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 12-02-08 at 10:59 AM.
    12-02-08 10:56 AM
    Haha after another day of procrastinating, searching every possible site for info, i'm now even more confused about which model to buy.

Firstly alot of people are saying the bold is build well, but then saying other than the fact its .... (bit of plastic that bends in the middle of buttons and screen, screen too sensitive, bezel is so cheap its taccy)

Then most people say the new curve 8900 is tight, build well, better than the curve1 in every way... sounds perfect. Other than a few posts saying they weren't too happy about that back door but that's just a tiny bit of blue tac job.

Then I found out 2G it literally 10x slower than 3G, can anyone confirm this? Because I've had a 3.5g phone for the past 18months and I don't think I want a lot slower browsing. Will it really be that noticeable?
    12-02-08 01:22 PM
    yes, it has a ring around the trackball that lights up.
    dont lie to me!

im so used to light up trackballs

and moodlights on the sidekick

that i just want something to light up

lol
    12-02-08 05:29 PM

Then I found out 2G it literally 10x slower than 3G, can anyone confirm this? Because I've had a 3.5g phone for the past 18months and I don't think I want a lot slower browsing. Will it really be that noticeable?
    If you are a heavy browser you will definitely notice a difference in speed. I had a 3G phone for over 3 years until last year when I got my first BB, 8800 and then the curve.. i remember I wanted to smash them against the wall everyday. Besides the speed, lack of support for Flash websites was a big downer as well.

On paper 3.5G is that much faster but in day to day use a lot of factors come in to place like; network, coverage, signal strength and the device you are using.

I dont know what device you have been using for the past 18 months, but there is a good chance that if you get the Bold you will find the browser to be slower than your current 3.5G device. At the end of the day the Bold is rims first 3.5G phone and has had a bumpy ride since launch. The speed has gotten better with more recent os updates, but its definitely still not where it should be.
    12-04-08 12:47 AM
    3G is theoretically about 10x faster than 2G. There are some informal tests going on in the forums http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wha...-speed-107417/ where members have been posting from http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?jisok=1 and Mobile Speed test.
    12-04-08 01:19 AM
    i just sold my curve and waiting to get the 8900, in a few days im going to use my back up nokia 6500 classic and surprisingly i found out that it supports 850/2100 3g, a truly world phone.
    12-10-08 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD