Anybody use one without the data plan? I don't have one on my 8320 because 95% of the places I go have wifi and I don't miss email or BBM. I mostly use my BB for texting and the calendar. I'm trying to get my mom to take my 8320 so I can use her upgrade to get me a 8900. So how is the functionality without the data plan? And does the GPS work without one?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 12:47 PM
    You will have the same functionality as your 8320 in the 8900... GPS will not work without a data plan though... I like having the data plan, email access as well as my GPS on Google Maps.
    02-15-09 01:12 PM
    Please search, this has been covered in several threads. Here is one to get you started, there is a post on getting GPS working with no data plan:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ca...a-plan-131586/
    02-15-09 01:16 PM
    I asked the TMobile rep when i bought mine if it was possible to not have the plan. He told me it was required for the phone.
    02-15-09 01:20 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!

I data plan is NOT required. That rep mis-informed you. I do highly recommend a data plan but it is NOT a requirement.
    02-15-09 01:29 PM
    Oh ok. I don't know how much i'll honestly need it. In an event that i dont want it, is there a way to cancel it?
    02-15-09 01:53 PM
    Sweet. So it will work just the same as my current 8320 which I am very happy with. Now I just have to convince my mom to take my BB so I can use her upgrade. I still have about 18 mos before I get the full upgrade discount.

02-15-09 01:53 PM
    Are you running an 8320 now with no data plan? If so, you will have the same functionality and same limited abilities.
    02-15-09 02:05 PM
    you can cancel the data plan at any time. you will only pay the prorated rate for the amount of time you were actually on the plan.

the gps will work without data, but most of the gps apps require a data plan for map access.

if you plan on submitting a rebate for the 8900, it will likely require that you have a data plan or equivalent during the duration of the rebate processing.
    02-15-09 02:06 PM
    ok, i just switched over to tmo last night after i spilled milk on my 8310 and it was rendered useless. I only got the unl txt and no bb package and i am not able to connect to my home network via WiFi. It takes me to a tmo page called "UPSELL" (lol thought that was funny) and says that this device does not have a web2go plan or something like that and say you can go "here" to purchase the plan to enable the device to surf the web. Am I doing something wrong here??

Oh and i have found a bug with the phone already =/ If i take a picture and then hit the return key, the phone shuts off. Time will tell if this is a widely spread defect but I am going to swap it out tomorrow.

Oh and i would just like to say that i only paid $85 for the 8900....thats why you make friends with people at tmo corporate haha

and nooo he didnt give me a defective one cuz i paid so little...it was sealed.
    02-22-09 08:27 PM
    How can you fully appreciate the essance of a BlackBerry without the dataplan!?
    02-22-09 08:40 PM
    I appreciate the phone to the fullest. I have been a blackberry user for the last 4 years and I have always had the data plan but have started using the email and internet portion less and less for the simple fact that I am always around a computer...but the few hours I may be away, I would like to surf with wifi.

So please, instead of posting a useless reply not answering my question, try actually answering my question if you can. Thank you

I'm not trying to be a d**k or anything, I'm just a little frustrated that I might have to pay an extra $35 a month just to get on the internet for a couple minutes a week. =/
    02-22-09 08:58 PM
    I'm not trying to be a d**k or anything, I'm just a little frustrated that I might have to pay an extra $35 a month just to get on the internet for a couple minutes a week. =/
    I hear you. You should check out the complete WiFi guide in Aristile signature, it takes you step by step to get WiFi working on your Blackberry. Rule number 1, make sure you change your default browser to Hotspot Browser.
    02-22-09 09:08 PM
    I appreciate the phone to the fullest. I have been a blackberry user for the last 4 years and I have always had the data plan but have started using the email and internet portion less and less for the simple fact that I am always around a computer...but the few hours I may be away, I would like to surf with wifi.

So please, instead of posting a useless reply not answering my question, try actually answering my question if you can. Thank you

I find your comments here a little out of line to be honest. loe1037's comments were accurate in that a Blackberry with no data plan really is not a Blackberry because you are not getting the services that make a phone a Blackberry - push email and BBM, etc. I am not at all saying the phone will be useless without the Data plan but it definitely will not be functioning as a Blackberry is intended.

As Sonni stated the WiFi guide link is in my signature, I suggest you read through that to get connected through WiFi on your device.

For that camera bug you found, that is not a defect just a bug in the OS. Upgrade the OS and I'm sure you will find that issue resolved. The latest OS is at the top of the forum in a stick and the upgrade procedure link is in my signature.
    02-22-09 09:24 PM
    I'm sorry if I came off out of line. But like I said, just a little frustrated at this point because I have been waiting for this phone for a very long time and all that has been happening is me running into road blocks. I never said that I don't agree that I won't be experiencing the BB to the fullest. I will be missing out on ALOT the phone does offer. But, a BB is what I have used for so long now and it is what I see myself using for as long a cell phones are around. I just can't go back to a "regular" phone because I love BB OS and its ease of use.

Once again, I apologize once again to the above posters if I was inappropriate, but you must understand my frustration.

Thank you for pointing me to the links. I will be updating my OS in just a few minutes and as for the guide...I just read it step by step and the only thing that I did not have changed was the hotspot browser setting...and sadly, I am still not connecting. Why do I have such bad luck?! =( lol
    02-22-09 09:33 PM
    Sorry for the double post but I didn't mean to say "not connecting" because the BB is finding the network and it says that it IS connected, it just takes me to that page that says that I am not subscribed to web2go(sm). I don't know if this makes any difference but I am on a TMO Flexpay Contract plan.
    02-22-09 09:40 PM
    When you are at that page, can you press the menu key, select options, select browser configuration and at the bottom of the config page change the start page? I've never run without a data plan so I'm not familiar with the options you have to enter a start page for your wifi browser.

For others who know who they are: Read it, know it, live it,
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...lution-118095/

Last edited by exelant; 02-22-09 at 10:08 PM.
    02-22-09 10:00 PM
    it just takes me to that page that says that I am not subscribed to web2go(sm)
    Hey Cameronbnp, why don't you try pulling out your SIM card and trying to use the phone in this configuration. Then, the phone will be forced to use WiFi to connect to the internet. Even if it does take you to the web2go webpage, have you tried typing "www.google.com" anyways ???
    02-22-09 10:09 PM
    What sonni said, when you press menu and pull up the goto page, if you have that option, enter another page like google, then in your browser config page select use current.

I'm curious what pages other's who only use wifi start from.
    Last edited by exelant; 02-22-09 at 10:23 PM.
    02-22-09 10:21 PM
    lol yea, I tried going to Google FIRST and nothing happened...just kicked me back to the same page. I can surf the TMO account page fine and look at and preview ringtones so I KNOW I am somehow connected to the browser. Butttt, it is just not letting me get past that stupid "Upsell" Screen

okayyyyy, I was writing the above while waiting for my phone to boot up after I removed the SIM card and SUPRISE SUPRISE...I AM ON GOOGLE!! haha That was a great idea, thank you, I don't why I didn't think to try that. lol

So now I know it has nothing to do with the phone, but in my service or settings while SIM is active.

Any more advice on where to go from here??

It's gonna be a reallll pain to remove the SIM card everytime i wanna get on the internet. hmmm wonder if i just turn the mobile network off while the SIM is in, I will gain the same results. I will check now. But if not, I might just be having to get the $34.99 lol
    02-22-09 10:21 PM
    Sounds like it is time to contact T-mobile because something is setup funky on your account, apparently.
    02-22-09 10:32 PM
    IT'S ALIVE!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!! hahahaha

OMG thank you soo much!

I put the SIM card back in after removing it and being able to get on the web and now I am able to surf fully! I don't know WHY it works now....maybe the phone just didn't know it could get on the internet and with yalls help, I just needed to show it that it was possible. Thank you all again for all the help.

I have been reading these boards for a long time now, but just never have posted anything. This time, I am very glad I did. Yall (yea I'm from Florida and I say "Yall" lol) are very helpful! Thank you again
    02-22-09 10:33 PM
    Awesome! Boy am I glad that is over!

Seriously, congrats and enjoy the surfing!
    02-22-09 10:42 PM
    I guess we can add "remove the SIM card" to the good ol' "battery pull" to fix pretty much about anything
    02-22-09 11:21 PM
    Whomever is telling you $35 a month extra for a data plan is loopy.

02-22-09 11:31 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD